30 Major, 30 Walker, 30 PPC, 30??

gzig5

The 30 cal on a stretched PPC/Grendel case is intriguing me. I'm looking at putting together a first deer rifle for my son on a mini-Mauser action and a group/score rifle for myself. I've gone through the archives and found a little on the 30 Major back around 2008, which sounds like the 30 Walker, and some are having success with just he ppc necked up. Sounds like an accurate competition round that can perform in the game field at least as well as the 30/30. I've got several questions before I dive in.

Are there any recent info or potential improvements?
Is there a reamer print available for the 30 Major or the others? I'm concerned about neck length if this is going to feed from the magazine in the Mauser.
Can a ppc or Grendel sizing dies simply be opened up in the neck or use a larger bushing? I prefer to FL size.

Greg

The 30 cal on a stretched PPC/Grendel case is intriguing me. I'm looking at putting together a first deer rifle for my son on a mini-Mauser action and a group/score rifle for myself. I've gone through the archives and found a little on the 30 Major back around 2008, which sounds like the 30 Walker, and some are having success with just he ppc necked up. Sounds like an accurate competition round that can perform in the game field at least as well as the 30/30. I've got several questions before I dive in.

Are there any recent info or potential improvements?
Is there a reamer print available for the 30 Major or the others? I'm concerned about neck length if this is going to feed from the magazine in the Mauser.
Can a ppc or Grendel sizing dies simply be opened up in the neck or use a larger bushing? I prefer to FL size.

Greg

Greg, I've been using the 30 Major, with some success since 2007. It's a good round, particularly for a rifle with a dedicated ppc bolt face. I've got a couple of different reamer configurations, one for BR and light bullets, and another with more freebore and a no turn neck. You can contact me if you want about it. I'll help any way I can.--Mike Ezell

Greg,

I shot a 30 Major last season in VFS and will be shooting it again next year (trust me, I wouldn't waste the powder or bullets if I didn't think it was competitive with any other rifle on the line). Anyway, I bought a reamer from PT&G and bought the sizing and seating dies from Mike Ezell. I suggest you call Mike. He's a good guy and will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Ryan

Greg, I've been using the 30 Major, with some success since 2007. It's a good round, particularly for a rifle with a dedicated ppc bolt face. I've got a couple of different reamer configurations, one for BR and light bullets, and another with more freebore and a no turn neck. You can contact me if you want about it. I'll help any way I can.--Mike Ezell

Thanks Mike,

I sent you an Email shortly after I posted the original question. Get back to me when you have a chance.
Greg

Ezell has been taking care of me for a couple of years. I'm happy with the 30 Major. Target from a 200 group match below. I shot the two on the sighter bull, then the 5-shot group, then the three in the 9 ring to make the, imperfect, smiley face. Hubris.

IMG_0001-4.jpg

Last edited:
IMO The only reason to build a 30 BR in grendell format is when you have a PPC bolt face you do not wish to alter, The Grendell seems to be able to keep up with the 30 BR at times . I have seen no convincing evidence it is even slightly better .
it's limited powder selection means it is not living up to it's full accuracy potential most of the time. i say why shoot a cartridge almost as good as a 30BR that may on the right day have the capability to win but most days is outnumbered. Heck Everybody knows a hot 6PPC in the hands of a good shooter can beat all the 30-s at a Score Match on the odd day but it does not happen very frequently. Just shoot the 30BR if you do not want to alter your bolt face turn the rim of the brass down.

dick

I can think of three local shooters I know who have started with the Grendell and changed to the BR in last couple of years. I know of none that went from BR to Grendell that did not eventually come back if they had a rifle available that could handle the BR.

Dick

The biggest issue for me is the availability of information relative to the BR. Other than that, I'm pretty happy. OTOH, if my son's 6BR keeps shooting screamers, I might just go that direction.

I can think of three local shooters I know who have started with the Grendell and changed to the BR in last couple of years. I know of none that went from BR to Grendell that did not eventually come back if they had a rifle available that could handle the BR.

Dick

Dick, now you know of at least one..me. There are other shooters that are doing quite well with it or some version of it, and you know this. This isn't a debate over which is better but it has been proven a winner. If you put a good barrel in the hands of a good shooter it wins..that simple. I believe that the standings for the past few years reflect this with at least a 6th,15th, and 8th, respectively in the final points standings over the last 3 seasons. That's WITH being greatly outnumbered and not shooting nearly as many matches as most of those really good shooters ahead of them. Not to mention what Mike Stinnett has been doing in Tx with his. Your opinion is just that. Let's move on.--Mike

There are other reasons than the PPC bolt face, but that and very limited time for case prep is why I do it.

One of our local shooters has a 30 Major...he has been struggling with it...he said that he was told by another 30 Major shooter..."the accuracy won't be there until the 4th or 5th firing of the brass"...

Eddie in Texas

One of our local shooters has a 30 Major...he has been struggling with it...he said that he was told by another 30 Major shooter..."the accuracy won't be there until the 4th or 5th firing of the brass"...

Eddie in Texas

Tell em' to contact me. I'll try and help. If I built it and there's a problem, I'll fix it and pay the shipping.---Mike Ezell

My 30 Major shoots competitively on the 2nd firing of the brass. If you're having a problem, my guess would be its your powder choice - try N120 with 112 gr bullets at 2950 fps. If you have a decent barrel, I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Ryan

Edited to correct velocity.

Last edited:
Back