30 br

M

MarkR

I have a barrel on order to make up a 30 BR. I just bought 300 Lapua 6mmBR brass. I have discussed turning the brass into 39 BR and would like some of your opinions. The rifle will have a .330 neck.
What tools to buy? And how to get the brass from 6BR to 30 BR match ready?
Thanks
Mark

You will get a lot of different opinions on this. I look at the reamer print and trim all my brass to the same length. I have a fireforming barrel. I put Pistol powder to the shoulder and seal it off with wax and fireform. NO BULLET!!!
I have to expand the necks very little. I make sure the brass is the same length and turn the necks. I want my loaded rounds to be .0015 less than my neck size in the barrel. I do a final fireform with my regular load and a bullet. I get on paper and adjust the scope while doing this. You should be good to go.
Butch

Simple and easy way to do it

K & M makes an inexpensive expander mandrel that does a fine job of going from 6mm to 30 in one step.
Dick

And

With a .330 neck, I would add the bullet dia. (.308) plus neck wall thickness X 2 to come to a final dimension of what .330, .329, .328?
As well as this, what dies do you recommend, Sizer?, Seater? Do you guys use a specific mandrel when neck turning, what about the expander die that Sinclair recommends prior to turning?
Sorry for being troublesome, I just want to do this right!
Thanks
Mark

I am of the blow em out straight, first camp. Expanding did not give satisfactory results for me. But you do have to trim them first.
Larry

30br

If you look back in the archives, you can find a discussion by Jackie Schmidt on how he fire formed 30br cases and how he speced his reamer so he does not have to trim the cases first. Essentially, he just speced a Robinett reamer with a longer neck to keep from triming the necks back so much.

I have done the same thing. It works good. You can either fire form using a bullet as he has done or you can use the cream of wheat method to fire form your brass. For me, the COW method worked best. Gives a very straight case that you can then just neck turn and go.

Also you can search the archive for messages by Al Nylus concerning neck clearance and bushing sizes. There is lots of great info already posted and available here.
joe.

With a .330 neck, I would add the bullet dia. (.308) plus neck wall thickness X 2 to come to a final dimension of what .330, .329, .328?
As well as this, what dies do you recommend, Sizer?, Seater? Do you guys use a specific mandrel when neck turning, what about the expander die that Sinclair recommends prior to turning?
Sorry for being troublesome, I just want to do this right!
Thanks
Mark

By all means use the K& M 30 cal expander for the K&M turner and the Sinclair expander for their tools........they are specific to each manufacturer....do NOT mix brands.

Back