30 BR..First load

dogdude

Whoof
Should I back off my full load on virgin brass, usually run 34.2, but some primer pockets got loose after 6-8 loads.

Thanks'

I'm surprised that load loosened primer pockets. It's hard to find pressure with h4198 and typical 110-118gr br bullets used in a 30BR commonly. Now, you'll have to define loosened, because not being "factory fresh" tight isn't necessarily loosened unacceptably. Another factor can be a fat chamber or too much unsupported case. They may well settle in where you are for a long while. What speeds are you getting?

As for defining "loose".. if I can feel them go in, they aren't loose. YMMV

Mike, they aren't loose, loose, just more than others..have a fresh batch that I would like too last a while. :D
The gun and dies were done by Sid Goodling, bullets are Randy's 118-10.Have not shot this gun in 4 yrs. No info on speed.

Egan

I had better luck with primer pockets on virgin 30BR brass by not uniforming them until they'd been fired a couple of times. The pockets are tight (when not uniformed) with Fed 205M's but WSR primers work well for the initial firings.

Starting at 32.5-ish and going up from there is a safer bet, as well.

Good shootin'. -Al

You say you are getting loose primers. This may be a sign of over pressure but then you didn’t mention hard bolt lift a click at the top of bolt handle travel. Do you happen to know the diameter of your barrel in the lands and grooves. That may be tight if indeed the loose primers are cause by excessive pressure. Like Mike said, 34.2 isn’t a hot load.....normally.
Are you using a power driver to spin the primer pocket uniformer? Stop doing that.

Back