30 american

J

Jerry Mcfall

I need contact information for George Ulrich to find out information on 30 american brass. thanks

.30 American brass was a special run of Federal .30-30 brass with a small primer. The 6mm American was the first cartridge that I can remember based on this brass. I'm pretty sure that it came about at a time when .220 Russian brass was in short supply and not being imported. As Jerry stated, Dave Tooley was involved in the run of brass and cartridge development.

Mike,
That must be what I have that I got from Red. It is a big bag of what I thought was 30-30 without headstamp and small primers.
Butch

Butch, I looked through my reamers and found my 6mm American reamer. It was a Keith Francis reamer and was made 10/87. That will give you an idea of when the brass was made and I'm sure corresponds to a PPC brass shortage around that time. I thought the original brass had a Federal headstamp on it, but it may not have had it as I've slept some since then and don't have any of the brass left. By the way, we're getting rain here. About time to break the string of 100 plus days we've been having. Red may have been involved in it as well as he was an experimenter.

Harold Broughton's 240 Coyote #2 was another user of the 30 American brass. And yes it came about from a shortage of Sako 220 Russian brass. After an 18 year hiatus from the case I chambered up a 240 Coy. last year. It's had sporadic moments of greatness followed by prolonged periods of medocrity. Actually large pr. pocket 30-30 cases gave the best accuracy! The capacity is in between a PPC and BR. So much for a journey back in time.

For small aggs.
Steve Kostanich

Harold Broughton had a fondness for making wildcats from the 220 Swift brass, cartridges such as the original 240 Coyote, 220 Coyote, and 22 Guppy. But I think his favorite basic case was the 30-30. The 240 Coyote #2, 220 Coyote #2, Coyote Hunter, and of course, 30 Aardvark. I always thought that he chose the 30-30 for making Benchrest cartridges probably because someone told him it couldn't be done. The original Aardvark preceeded the 30 American brass by at least a couple of years and I'm not sure it shoots any better when made with the 30 American brass. It's 25 years old now and still has a pretty good following even though the brass is getting harder and harder to find. (I still have 2 or 3 boxes for trade, BTW)

As you may guess from his cartridge names, he liked hunting coyotes, but I don't think he ever saw an aardvark in Texas.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information about 30 american ,the brass I have is
federal headstamp in red boxes in plastic inserts that hold ten shells ,part of this has had the rim turned down and extractor cuts. It looks as if this was done on a lathe. I also had the rifle 700 rem, Hunter class stock, in 30 American shot 30 cal Tooley 125 grain.

Jerry

Many shooters turned the rim down to 308 size. I have some in my collection that were turned to PPC size.

Ray

For my 240 Coy. #2, I turned the rims to PPC.

Never could figure out why Harold B. used such a tight neck on the cartridge, .261". I think .265" or .266" would have worked with most brands of 30-30 brass. The cartridge is remarkably close to being nothing more than a 6mm version of the old 219 Donaldson Wasp. The 240 shoulder angle is 35 degrees, the 219 is 30 degrees, everything else is pretty close.

Steve Kostanich

Never could figure out why Harold B. used such a tight neck on the cartridge, .261".

I have reamer prints of most of Harold's wildcats and I never noticed it before but all of his cartridges have heavily turned necks. Usually .009" per side. Even the Aardvark. I guess he was a Benchrester first and a shooter/hunter second.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Back