30-250

D

Donald

I am sure someone has necked up the 22-250 or 250 Sav case to 30 cal. But I can't find any info for it. It looks like it might be between a 30BR and a 308 win. Which can;t be all that bad. Any info anyone? Maybe I am just not searching for the right name......questions?????? Looks like on paper it would be a winner. The case would hold about 4-5 grains more powder than a 30BR and about 9-10 gains less than a .308. Inquiring minds.............and winter coming on.......................

Donald

.300 Savage.

I am sure someone has necked up the 22-250 or 250 Sav case to 30 cal. But I can't find any info for it. It looks like it might be between a 30BR and a 308 win. Which can;t be all that bad. Any info anyone? Maybe I am just not searching for the right name......questions?????? Looks like on paper it would be a winner. The case would hold about 4-5 grains more powder than a 30BR and about 9-10 gains less than a .308. Inquiring minds.............and winter coming on.......................

Donald

The 300 is not a necked up 250. The 300 savage has less body taper, a shorter overall length, and a sharper shoulder than the 250.
There have been a bunch of "intermediate" 30's, the 30-250 would just another one (JMHO).
Regards, Ron

New unfired 250 Savage cases I have (R-P and Win.) hold on avg. 46.0 of water.

New unfired 300 Savage cases I have (RP and Win) hold an avg. of 52.0 of water.

My fired 30BR cases hold and avg. of 40.8 of water.

Necking from .25 to .30 doesn't account for all of the 6 gr. increase between the 250 Savage and the 300 Savage, though. The shoulder angle on the 250 Savage is 26 degrees and the 300 Savage is 30 degrees. The 300 Savage case is .446-ish at the body/shoulder junction, while the 250 Savage is around .414. Plus, the 300 Savage case is also .046 longer from the base to the body/shoulder junction. These three things account for the case capacity increase between the two.

A plain vanilla 250 Savage case that's necked up to .30 and it holds barely 2 gr. more water than before the necking up. So, the other 4 gr. of capacity comes from the 300's case being somewhat 'improved', dimensionally.

In a way, the 300 Savage is a 'semi-improved' 250 Savage... necked up to 30. ;)

cd2503000savage.jpg

cd300savage.jpg

Last edited:
An Interesting new case

is the 30 AR from Remington. one can change the shoulder angle and get to the right amount of Water. Someone on here sent me a print. He says it's a very accurate chambering.

I have been tempted to get a No-turn reamer made to see if that would work. Just buy loaded rounds and shoot them to fireform the cases.

The case is the length of a 30 BR BUT it holds 42.5g of water the way it comes. Going to a 35* neck puts it right at the minimum

is the 30 AR from Remington. one can change the shoulder angle and get to the right amount of Water. Someone on here sent me a print. He says it's a very accurate chambering.

I have been tempted to get a No-turn reamer made to see if that would work. Just buy loaded rounds and shoot them to fireform the cases.

The case is the length of a 30 BR BUT it holds 42.5g of water the way it comes. Going to a 35* neck puts it right at the minimum
Pete, I have heard there may be some changes to the rim diameter on the 30 AR case.
Is there any truth to this ?

I'm not Pete, but.....

The 'early' 30AR brass did indeed have the common .473 case head diameter. Later, Remington changed it to .492 to eliminate the possiblilty of a mixup with people chambering the 450 Bushmaster in 30AR gasser guns.

Hope this helps. -Al

I have been thinking really hard for a while now about doing a 30x47Lapua for a groundhog shoot rifle. I think it will work fantastically, but what do i know!! I like the idea of the small rifle primer with the Lapua case. When i do this barrel i will probably use a 13 or 14 twist so i can shoot Bib 155's . I dont know if i will be abe to find anyone with a reamer that will work properly with these 155gr bullets? I may have to have one made. I know there will be several smiths with a 30x47Lapua reamer but I'm not sure of the free bore i will need for the bib bullet. Lots to think about, but i think it will be a winner!! Lee

I overlooked the 300 Savage case. That would be pretty close. But no plans to build one. Was just exercising the old brain. Thanks all and you too al for your pics.

Donald

Back