2nd node

Rflshootr

Is there a set range to seating depth where you typically pick up the 2nd node? I'm working with a live varmint rifle where jam is where it likes to shoot, but my concern is having to unload if I don't get the shot and having the bullet stick in the barrel in the field. I've been back off the lands .030 in .005 increments and haven't hit another sweet spot yet.

What would be wrong with sticking a bullet in the barrel? Just hold the gun vertical and unload, being careful not to spill powder; then use a pocket-size drop rod to dislodge the bullet.

A drop rod can be a dangerous

tool. One "brain fart" and you could lose your eyes or worse. Just ask Dennis Tinkham. A drop rod left in the bbl is a bad day. I have heard the story " I know, I know, but I would never leave it in there" Why even take the chance.

I would find a seating depth that you can live with without sticking the bullet. Maybe it won't be ideal but good enough. You don't need a .1 or.2 gun for varmints.

Richard

I had a field

I had a field varminter chambered in 222 many years ago that shot really well with the bullets on the lands but strung them out vertically when there was some jump. My cure was to sort the bullets ( was using Sierra's at the time ) so I had a 100 or so with the same ogive length. Then seat them so I was just getting a slight land mark on them. Shot well and I wasn't worried about the bullets getting stuck.

You are not going far enough in your search. When a friend added a brake to one of his varmint rifles, the added weight threw it severely out of tune. Because he did not want to change his powder charge (whole other story but legit reason) he decided to work with seating depth to see what he could accomplish. I should add that this fellow is fearless when it comes to out of the box thinking. Starting at "touch"" he loaded two each backing out of the lands in .010 increments. When he got back to a .080 jump he had two in one hole. Later, when he changed powders (He was shooting Xtermininator and switched to LT 30) he redid his tune and found what he was looking for at .060 off of the lands.

On the Berger web site there is an article on finding the right jumped seating depth with VLDs. It outlines a completely different approach. I called and asked if applied to other bullets, and the tech. said that it does. I recommend reading it to every reloader.

My current barrel likes the bullet into lands. 0.005" ahead of jam length in particular. I've tested a few on extraction and haven't stuck one yet (and I run light neck tension). Unless you seat way long you should be fine. But if it's a concern, try a few lengths using dummy rounds and see what happens.

BTW, I agree with Boyd. If you're going to assess seating depths, go far in both directions. Last fall I had the seating stem come loose on my Sinclair top. The second I pulled the arbor handle I knew something was amiss. There was no resistance and the bullet was barely in the neck. Illustrated:

I said what the hell and put five on paper. Here's what I got:

Figured it was dumb luck and loaded another five. The second target:

Try farther back than 0.030", go in longer than jam length, tinker with the charge, and take copious notes throughout. You'll find what the gun likes aside from straight jam.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
It's all about pressure
If you are not jumping the bullet just add more powder and you reach the same pressure as you move off the jam

tool. One "brain fart" and you could lose your eyes or worse. Just ask Dennis Tinkham. A drop rod left in the bbl is a bad day. I have heard the story " I know, I know, but I would never leave it in there" Why even take the chance.

I would find a seating depth that you can live with without sticking the bullet. Maybe it won't be ideal but good enough. You don't need a .1 or.2 gun for varmints.

Richard

I take a long string and tie one end to the drop rod and the other end goes down my pants. I haven't left it in the barrel yet.

How do you leave it in a rifle you carry ??
Got me lost on that comment.
You just knocked a bullet out, the rod
is sitting in the receiver, how do you chamber a round ?

The "knockout" rod has been left in the barrel a couple or three times...results were disastrous to say the least.

wilbur ,
we are talking IN THE fIELD...NOT AT THE BENCH.
a whole different set of data.
i stick with my comments.

The "knockout" rod has been left in the barrel a couple or three times...results were disastrous to say the least.

Knock out rod

If the case and powder is removed by holding rifle vertical the drop rod should fall out w/the bullet. 2 things,,, think and don't get in a hurry., I am scaid to knock out loaded round. ( yep , scaid)

Last edited:
how big is your target ?
now what is reasonable required accuracy to hit it ?
can you shoot with a larger group and not be in the lands and still hit your target ?

crimp is a valid way to increase starting pressure..sort of like jam.

and a proper knock rod , in the field, is just fine.
Is there a set range to seating depth where you typically pick up the 2nd node? I'm working with a live varmint rifle where jam is where it likes to shoot, but my concern is having to unload if I don't get the shot and having the bullet stick in the barrel in the field. I've been back off the lands .030 in .005 increments and haven't hit another sweet spot yet.

A knock out rod, or whatever you use, is entirely necessary to remove "stuck" anything from a rifle barrel. I'm just saying that if you leave it in there and shoot the rifle there will be consequences. Yeah, everybody knows that...including the guys that left them in there for the next shot....Rest their souls. These folks were not morons.

Use a knockout rod when necessary but make darn sure you remove it when done - look down the barrel! Further, you're taking a chance when dealing with a loaded round stuck in there. I don't know a safe way to get that out. I do know that the one time I did it was not safe at all and there were other folks in close proximity. The only thing on my mind was getting the round out so I could finish the match...not good! I should have taken the rifle far away to do what I needed to do.

Another incident I was involved in was when David Eggleston's rifle goofed up somehow where it wouldn't shoot and the bolt wouldn't open. He did everything required by the rules but later I turned around and he was trying to get the bolt out while the rifle, still loaded, was pointed straight in the middle of my back....not good either.

it would be next to impossible to use a knockout rod, IN THE FIELD, and leave it in place AND LOAD the rifle..in the field.

just saying
i agree 100 percent if you are anywhere near a bench.

I'm just saying that if you leave it in there and shoot the rifle there will be consequences.

Back