.270 Winchester Reamer

Zebra13

Gents,

I'm looking at building a .270 Winchester hunting rifle for a friend. The rifle will be used for deer and hogs. I'm looking at ordering a reamer from PT&G, and I'm not really sure what I want. So I come here...

The print that PT&G sent me is for a standard SAAMI reamer. Do you guys think that will suffice, keeping in mind it is a deer rifle, and the owner is not an accuracy loon like us.

Or, should I be looking for something that is on the minimum SAAMI side, different leade angle, etc.

What reamer have you guys used and are happy with? If you have something, can you give me a manufacturer, print, or print number.

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Justin

for a hunting rifle, particularily for someone who isnt an accuracy whacko ( LOL ), stick with the standard dimension reamer.

Justin,

What I recommend is to have your friend buy a batch of new brass that he will use in the new rifle (life time supply).

Given the lead free requirements, we know the Barnes TSX and TTSX shoot great. Remember my .243 you tuned up!!!

If he can limit his choice in bullet weights to lets say a TSX in 130 grains; have him seat three bullets in the new brass at the appropriate distance and send them to the reamer manufacturer. There will need to be a compromise with seating depth, not to deep in the case, (long bullet less room for powder) and over all length if he wants to feed from the magazine and acceptable lead. I would let the reamer manufacturer recommend what is needed; but if were mine I would want a minimum SAAMI reamer, with the correct throat.

Remember my sweet spot in the .243 was 0.100 off. I've loaded the Barnes TSX and TTSX for several other rifles/cartridges and always start at 0.050 off.

I also recommend he buy a set of Lee Collet Dies and a bench rest seating die; such as the Redding with micrometer top; because the critical seating depth will need adjusted several times and the bullets will run truer into the case.

John S

Sorry Justin, I missed the fact that you responded to my post.

Anyway, I taked to Dave Kiff about the rifle I was building and what the customer wanted. This is the reamer he said would be the best.

--------------Jeff

Sorry Justin, I missed the fact that you responded to my post.

Anyway, I taked to Dave Kiff about the rifle I was building and what the customer wanted. This is the reamer he said would be the best.

--------------Jeff

Jeff,

No worries. I bought the minumum SAMMI from PT&G which is the exact same thing as your reamer. The number you gave me is a Midway part number for PT&G's min. SAMMI .270 reamer.

Justin

Back