270 accuracy?

mattri

Tried a search sorry if this has been covered.
Is anyone doing anything with the .270 win in a factory rifle? It seems like a 700 or simmilar in .270 would have some decent potential out to 600 yards or so. Not as heavy as a .308 better in the wind than a .223, fairly inexpensive. Any ideas?

Imo

Any 7mm will be better because of the quality bullets avaible in 7mm.

However there are tens of thousands of .270's killing lots and lots of big game............................

Matt,

I am an optimist. I believe that the 270 Winchester or maybe something like a 270/08 could be a fine long range target rifle but with two big ifs.

The first big if: If a skilled gunsmith had the right barrel and action and stock and put all these things together properly for a talented and dedicated shooter.

The second big if: If there were a supply of great target bullets in .277.

There is no magic about the .22 caliber or the 6 mm caliber or the .30 caliber. There is a good selection of target bullets for these calibers and shooters who shoot them a lot. I think there is nothing wrong at all with the .277 or the .257 other than a lack of good target bullets and shooters that shoot them.

Concho Bill

Thanks for the reply. There are calibers that are inherently more accurate for sure. If though, a person wanted to build a rifle on a factory platform what kind of accuracy could they expect out of the .270?

Thanks for the reply. There are calibers that are inherently more accurate for sure. If though, a person wanted to build a rifle on a factory platform what kind of accuracy could they expect out of the .270?

I will be the first to bite. I would say that it would be a rare 270 Winchester that would group on a good day at 3/4" at 100 yards with the bullets available.
That will be quite good enough for any deer or elk in North America.

Concho Bill

Is it the bullets or the design of the cartridge?

I'm getting about 1" at 100 yards with my stock 5.5# Rem 700 Ti rifle shooting 150 grain Gamekings. I think I can get it even better if I bed the stock and use more accurate reloading techniques.

Yes, it's fantastic for deer and elk up to about 400 yards (absolutely *perfect* fit the my little 8 oz Leupold with the LR reticle) but of course I would like to get it the best I can.

Bill Wynne: You hit on what prompted this question.
I have a cheap .270 that will group 3/4-1" on an average day with handloads done by a novice-me.
A friend has a Rem 770 that will do much better.
If two amateur shooters with hunting rifles can achieve moa accuracy how much more is the round capable of?
As you said it is a fantastic hunting round. Couldn't an accurate package be loaded for varmints and target shooting?

Don't get me wrong I don't expect to win comps but if you were going to build an accurate .270 how would you do it and what would you expect out of it at 100, 300 and 600 yards? Thanks, Matt.

I have a cheap .270 that will group 3/4-1" on an average day with handloads done by a novice-me.
If two amateur shooters with hunting rifles can achieve moa accuracy how much more is the round capable of?
As you said it is a fantastic hunting round. Couldn't an accurate package be loaded for varmints and target shooting?

Don't get me wrong I don't expect to win comps but if you were going to build an accurate .270 how would you do it and what would you expect out of it at 100, 300 and 600 yards? Thanks, Matt.

Assuming that you would want to hunt with this rifle also, I would suggest that you use a good action such as a remington 700 and a premium stainless benchrest barrel. With the best bullets on the market today and if you dedicate yourself to this project you might be able to get 1/2" at 100 yards.

If you had the choices of bullets like are available for the 30 caliber, I believe the 270 could shoot with the best of them. This would be a very interesting project.

Concho Bill

Hi Matt , New shooter came to our range recently intent on competing with a 270 , we told him that he would be better of starting with something that's easy to tune and get components for (we were wrong).. He did not want to hear that so he ordered a comp tight neck reamer and built a gun .. Well long story short ,he is new at LRBR and the thing shoots great ..I think the best 5 shot group at 600yd is 2.3 ins and i have seen 100yd groups in the .200 area .. I have helped him with bullet batching and case prep ,best bullets ,hands down are the 135 Sierra Smk all other match brands were suitable only for game .. Re 22 and h4831sc ,10 twist x 30 ins is about 3050fps from memory , does not shoot with heavy pressures ..JR.. Jeff Rogers..action is LA Rem 700

To Mattri

If you want to see your 270 shoot well try some 90g Sierras or 90g Speer TNTs. Work your way up to about 56g of W760 with REM 91/2 primer and don't be afraid to try a few different seating depths to find the one that your rifle likes. Allocate some time towards fighting the copper fouling in your old barrel and you may find that you don't need an after market one.:D

Great replies, thanks. What I have in mind is a dedicated target/varmint rifle built off of a Rem 700 action. The bullet selection will obviously be a limiting factor but with some time put into load development I think this combination could be very effective out to medium ranges, 600 yards +/-. The only hang-up I have is whether to work on a .270 platform or go with a .243 for the lessened recoil and wider bullet selection. Thanks again, Matt.

Great replies, thanks. What I have in mind is a dedicated target/varmint rifle built off of a Rem 700 action. The bullet selection will obviously be a limiting factor but with some time put into load development I think this combination could be very effective out to medium ranges, 600 yards +/-. The only hang-up I have is whether to work on a .270 platform or go with a .243 for the lessened recoil and wider bullet selection. Thanks again, Matt.

You really have us going on this 270 thing. It really would be very interesting.

I don't believe there is a prairie dog out there that a 243 won't kill but a 270 will.:)

I can't stand a kicking horse and I don't like a kicking gun much either.:)

Concho Bill

That would definetley be a consideration. Just to play devil's advocate if recoil were a primary disqualifier wouldn't a muzzle brake fit the bill? The new ones decrease recoil by 40% without the noise increase of the older ones.

Matt,

You may want to find a copy of HANDLOADER magazine #132 ('88). Layne Simpson used a Jarrett built rail gun with a Hart barrel and only Nosler bullets. He claimed the 130 Ballistic Tip agged in the low 3's.

It's bullets, barrels and bedding!!!:D

Good shooting.

I am an optimist. I believe that the 270 Winchester or maybe something like a 270/08 could be a fine long range target rifle but with two big ifs.

The first big if: If a skilled gunsmith had the right barrel and action and stock and put all these things together properly for a talented and dedicated shooter.

The second big if: If there were a supply of great target bullets in .277.

There is no magic about the .22 caliber or the 6 mm caliber or the .30 caliber. There is a good selection of target bullets for these calibers and shooters who shoot them a lot. I think there is nothing wrong at all with the .277 or the .257 other than a lack of good target bullets and shooters that shoot them.

Concho Bill

Matt

I believe Bill is correct. Ackley considered the standard .270 somewhat overbore.

This may be a dumb question but if .30br and .308 are common rounds for target shooting how would a .270 be overbore? Also from a very unscientific search it seems that .270 bullets, especially the 150 grns have a higher bc than .243s.

This may be a dumb question but if .30br and .308 are common rounds for target shooting how would a .270 be overbore? Also from a very unscientific search it seems that .270 bullets, especially the 150 grns have a higher bc than .243s.

Overbore is a term for the ratio of chamber volume to bore and, doesn`t relate to the bores actual diameter. A "Overbore" cartridge tends to burn barrels out faster and doesn`t give much more velocity over some smaller capasity ones.

Overbore is a term for the ratio of chamber volume to bore and, doesn`t relate to the bores actual diameter. A "Overbore" cartridge tends to burn barrels out faster and doesn`t give much more velocity over some smaller capacity ones.

Matt,

That is the simple version of overbore and it is completely right as far as it goes. The term is only relative.

For example a grain of powder added or taken away from a 30/30 case will have a greater effect on velocity than the same amount added to or subtracted from a 30/378. Just check out the fps to the grains of power of each of those two. (be sure you use the same powder)

For a hunting round, overbore is not such a bad thing if you are looking for all the velocity you can get for a few shots in hunting season.

Concho Bill

Last edited:

I understand why some feel the need to put an overbore number on a case. It is an engineer thing that a lot of us seem comfortable with. I think that we have to agree that the exact number on the scale that makes a cartridge an "overbore" is arbitrary. Some might choose the number of 800 as the limit while others would choose 1200. We can say for sure that a 30 BR is less of an overbore than a 300 Winchester Mag. If I were hunting Elk, I would take the overbore and if I wanted to keep target accuracy for a longer time at 200 yards, I would take the 30 Br.

Concho Bill

Back