255 GR. .45 ACP +P Chamber Pressure

4 Liberty

Can you shoot 255 gr. +p .45 ACP cartridges in a Glock 21 at 975 fps, or is the pressure too high? My Glock armorer says that Glocks are "set up" for +p cartridges but forgot to mention 255 gr bullets in .45 ACP.

They made my Glock go KABOOM! FACTORY LOADS AND THEY BLEW UP! This is not uncommon.

From my experience with .45 ACP's 975 fps is a pretty warm load with 230's, and I'd imagine that with 255's it might be over the top. Since my religion is Orthodox Coward I don't want to be hanging onto a handgun that might go kaboom. I don't know of any 255 gr jacketed bullets either and if you fire lead bullets in a factory Glock barrel you'll likely have more problems.

Warning!!

Before you shoot it mount it on the bench and run a sting to the trigger and pull it from behind a tree!!

Pressure is pressure and +P is not bullet driven but, the pressure rating of the cartridge.
The 45 acp SAAMI MAP of 21K psi piezo, the 45acp +P MAP is 23Kpsi. If your pistol is +P rated you can fire any +P load that meets SAAMI guide lines regardless of bullet wt.

Be aware Glock is a Austrian maker and likely follows CIP instead of SAAMI standards. The CIP MAP is 19K psi and they don't recognize +P loads.

Back