25-06 sizing problem

M

muslmutt

I recently was resizing some 25-06 brass I had been using to work up a load for a Rem 700 BLD 25-06 and I noticed some cases sized considerably easier than others, then I stuck a case. All cases were liberaly lubed, and relubed with Hornady One Shot. Of course cases with lighter powder charges would be easier to size, but what is up with the stuck case? It had lots of lube. I ended up going back to some old greasy RCBS lube which worked easily with out incident. Did I get a bad can of one shot? Is 25-06 typicaly hard to resize? Where did I mess up?
Thanks.
Matt.

To answer your questions.

The only time I use one shot is when I am going to load 50 cases, I then make sure that all cases have been hit with it from all directions, with the cases turned upside down. For smaller jobs I use either unique (hornady) lube in a tub, a little bit on the fingers and twirl, or RCBS, but I hate the lube pad.

No the 25.06 is not hard to resize cases, and is in general a real pussycat to reload.

May I suggest you try 52grs Reloader 22, 117 gr Sierra pro-hunter flat base, and CCI or Federal gold medal match primer (This is a published load in 4 diffrent books). the load gives 3000 to 3050 fps and has proved to be a very accurate, and effective load out to 250 yards, this is the longest clean kill (1 shot) to date with this cartridge, but have used the load in 2 diffrent 25.06 rifles over the last 20 years. dont know how old your BDL is, mine is only on its 3rd season, but it consistently gives under 1 inch at 100.

It's a little messy, but since I began using Imperial Sizing Die Wax (now made by Redding) I haven't had any problems with sizing any cases. Mostly my rifles use smaller cases than the .25-06, but even sizing cases for my M1 I've found a little does the job very nicely. I just apply it to my thumb and forefinger and roll the cases between the fingers right before they're sized.

larry,
I'll second your comments/procedures in regard to using Imperial Sizing Die Wax as a case lube - - but my cases range from 22 Hornet to 50BMG.

Back