.243 reloading questions

A

Adam Daugherty

Plan to reload 95 grain hornady sst bullets. The factory loads from hornady in this bullet shoot very well out of 700 Rem ADL. I have about beat my brains out looking at Hornady manual and Lyman manual to decide on what powder to buy. Lyman lists H4831 as most accurate load then I research favorite loads on the web and lots of combos not even listed as an option in either manual folks really like. Question is what would be a good overall powder for me to buy to reload 95 gr SST using Remington 9.5 Primers?
Thanks

Plan to reload 95 grain hornady sst bullets. The factory loads from hornady in this bullet shoot very well out of 700 Rem ADL. I have about beat my brains out looking at Hornady manual and Lyman manual to decide on what powder to buy. Lyman lists H4831 as most accurate load then I research favorite loads on the web and lots of combos not even listed as an option in either manual folks really like. Question is what would be a good overall powder for me to buy to reload 95 gr SST using Remington 9.5 Primers?
Thanks

The problem with 4831 is the burn rate. Depending on your barrel length and a few other things, you might not reach the full velocity potential of your combination using it, even though accuracy might be good. Most useable loads with 4831 in a 243 using less than 100 grn bullets will be quite compressed.

Hense, the use of a little faster powder, such as 4350.

Just got the 243 baCK

Hi Adam. I only recently received back from the rifle smith my late fathers .243 I had it rubuilt just under 17lb as a light gun for 500 fly. Previously Dad used Reloader #17 in it with good results. When I have done some load development on it I will let you know what I settle on. Jpeg attached.
Andy.

Attachments

• 243 cruiser.jpg
    243 cruiser.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 221
243 adl

Is this rifle being shot at paper or critters?
If paper Hornady bullets will be fine. If hunting I would recommend Nosler Accubonds, Swift Sciroccos, or Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks. H-4831, Hybred-100, H4350, all work well on coyotes, deer, antelope.
For paper and coyotes I would select 105-107 grain target bullets from Sierra or Berger.
Pretty easy to run then 3100-3200 fps with .5 moa.
Nat Lambeth

Back