.223 powders,

B

bob hardy

I have a Savage 12, 26" heavy brl. 1-9 twist. The bullets I have are Sierra MK 69 gr. and Hornady match 68gr. What powders are most recommended? I have some Varget, 4198, 4064, and 3031 on hand. Looking for recommendations. I'm new to this game. Best accuracy so far came with the Ultramax with the Hornady 68gr. bullet. Got a best of .149 @ 100, 3shot group. Friend of mine got a .123 with the same stuff in my gun. Wish I knew what powder and how much of Ultramax uses.
Bob

all of the above

All of the powders you mentioned have the potential to work well in a 223 with the 68/69 gr bullets. I have worked up several loads with Varget and 69 SMKs for different rifles. However, what works in mine (optimized load) will likely not work be the best load in yours. If you want to just duplicate some factory ammo, then sure you can take lots of tips from others. However, if you want the "best" load you have to figure out what your barrel tells you. It chooses the powder it wants.

Hope that makes sense, tiny

.223 Loads

tiny68 said it like it is, each barrel will chose what it likes, you have to do the finding. That said, there are several good powders for the .223, one of mine likes the Varget with GM Match primers and 55gr. V-Max's, it will also shoot the 52gr. Sierra BTHP with H335 and a CCI primer, but nearly everything else I have tried in that rifle will not shoot well, groups over 1/2" dia @ 100 yds. My Semi-auto likes the 4895 and 55 gr. Sierra's or just about any of the 55 gr. bullets, eats them all well, but it doesn't care for the Varget powder. I have not tried any of the VV powders, maybe someday, but what is working right now seems to fill the bill very well . . It is an expensive - trial and error - that will finally result in a very accurate rifle, have fun with it. . . .

Savage Model 12 LRPV & Tikka T-3 both in 223, for paper Vithv N133 and to hunt with H335,,,,,,,,,,

The wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

... It is an expensive - trial and error - that will finally result in a very accurate rifle, have fun with it. . . .

I have to agree with that. Our local group of .223 enthusiasts makes a practice of trading about six ounces of one powder for another to provide everyone with an opportunity to try various loads for their particular rifle. My .223 XR-100 likes H335 and holds well within 2MOA groups at 100 yards. That's good enough for my varmint hunting needs and also allows me to hold my place in benchrest competition.

Mr. Hardy,
I have tried all the powders you mentioned except the 3031. My best with the Sierra 69 MK was Win. 748. I wont quote loads but if you have a Sierra manual your all set. It is a ball powder so it meters well and was a very popular powder before Sierra came out with their 77 gr. Matck King. It was the go to powder for a lot of the highpower shooters.

John Luitink

I use...

Norma 201 in my 223 with 69 gr SMK's. Great velocity and accuracy.
Mark

Varget ... with Lapua brass and some of Ronnie Cheek's 63 grain or Bart Sauter's 68 grain custom made bullets. Primers? Whatever is available. Kreiger barrel with a tight neck chamber. That should do it! ;)

Thanks for your quick replies. Looks like I've got a lot of work to do.
Bob

Most of the guys shooting highpower with AR service or match rifles are using Varget and RL 15 with the 60+grn bullets. These powders give excellent accuracy and don't require frequent cleaning.

I've used AA 2230 with bullets 36gr to 75gr in .223. Works great. It is the only ball powder I've used. I come from IMR and Alliant powder background.

H322 and 4895 powders had good numbers in Precision Shooting Primer article.

For 69gr, also try H-Varget or R15. These 2 are very close in performance, but R15 will tend to yield higher velocity at lower pressure. But my AA 2230 loads were better than both.

.223/222

Have had the best groups with AA2230 in both the .223/.222 with 52 gr match and 55 grain soft point in my match rifle 40xbr and match AR-15.With a savage with a 1-8 twist had good luck with 69 grain. Good Luck craig:)

If it won't shoot with either Varget or Re15, you need a new barrel.

Perhaps I should have explained my desires better. I am getting good groups with Varget--around 1/2" +or-, but I'm looking for the same tight groups I got with the Ultramax load. I'm using the same bullet, but not getting the same results.
Bob

Try a Lee factory crimp and if that doesn't do it then try Re15.
That factory ammo is crimped.

Hey Bottlebaby, I was thinking about that today. You sound as though it worked for you.
Bob

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But the fact is that you've had your best results with crimped ammo.

Before all the "fitted neck" guys jump on me, this is a factory chamber we are talking about here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back