222 loads

gaintwist

I acquired a 'classic' Hart benchrest rifle and am curious about the old load for this round. I tried to search/FAQ but didn't find anything.
thanks in advance,
Lige

Try a case full of 4895. Drop it slow, tap it down... do whatever it takes to maximize the amount of powder in the case. This powder is too slow to give you pressure problems and it shoots like crazy in several .222's that I have had.

Hint... Remington used to send a target with their 40X .222's. They showed the load used. Most often is was 23-1/2 gr. of IMR 4895. In competition I have found that 25 gr. is even better if you can get that much in the case.

.222 loads

Ken Waters' PET LOADS has a couple of articles with load data on the .222. I haven't read these in a long time and the material is certainly dated, but still useful. I think he mentions some benchrest loads in one of them, but there is much data, particularly in the second article which is an update on the first one.

I have a couple of 222's, One is a custom 40X that at 100 yards will oft times out shoot my ppc. The other is a light weight varminter. The powder of choice for both is N130

Awesome

Ken Waters' PET LOADS has a couple of articles with load data on the .222. I haven't read these in a long time and the material is certainly dated, but still useful. I think he mentions some benchrest loads in one of them, but there is much data, particularly in the second article which is an update on the first one.

book of compiled articles isn't it? What a prolific tester and author he was. I consult mine all the time. --Greg

Thanks to all,

It is interesting that the same powders that work well in a 308 are good in the deuce. Looking forward to shooting this gun...I also got a bunch of Rem 52g BR bullets. I am betting the R 7 1/2 will also work well.

cheers,
Lige

Cool!

Thanks to all, It is interesting that the same powders that work well in a 308 are good in the deuce. Looking forward to shooting this gun...I also got a bunch of Rem 52g BR bullets. I am betting the R 7 1/2 will also work well. cheers, Lige
I shot a lot of RL-7 in both .222 and .222&1/2 - but, as pointed out above, by Dick and Bill, always seemed to get better Aggs with either Win. 748, or, H4895. At one time, I had 10K of the Rem. 52 Gr., but sold them when I obtained my first set of bullet making dies (B & A) - the Rem. 52 were/are a pretty good bullet. Good shootin'! RG

52gr Rem bullets, boy,does that bring back memories. I use to shoot a .222 in competition, then I went to a .22235. OH WELL! that was a ___________________________few years back, EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lot of people went to the H322 can't remember what the load was.

With as many powder choices as there are

it is hard for me to see why one would have to stuff a case unreasonably to make a rifle shoot.

Pete

it is hard for me to see why one would have to stuff a case unreasonably to make a rifle shoot.

Pete

I'm with you on this one but I kept getting beat by those guys that stuff their cases. There may be more to it than we believe...just sayin'.

I won UBR Modified Class SSOY a couple of times with a sleeved Remington 222. The barrel had to have well over 10,000 down the tube. After 15 shots the blue looked like new denim. But it would shoot. I used 4895 for the first season, but changed to RL 7, for the second round. Truth is, there are several different powders that will shoot well in a deuce. You have to really look hard to get a bad one and even they shoot pretty good.

Rick

A few years ago a Precision Shooting reader called me and asked if I wanted some of the Rem. BR bullets. I did. He sent me a lot of them. I've been shooting them ever since and still have a couple thousand left.

The reason I took the time to stuff the case was it shot better that way and I was shooting it in competition.

Don"t know why

I won UBR Modified Class SSOY a couple of times with a sleeved Remington 222. The barrel had to have well over 10,000 down the tube. After 15 shots the blue looked like new denim. But it would shoot. I used 4895 for the first season, but changed to RL 7, for the second round. Truth is, there are several different powders that will shoot well in a deuce. You have to really look hard to get a bad one and even they shoot pretty good.

Rick

The wonders of RL-7 has been lost on so many people but it seems to have. I have used it for years, over the years, in stead of H-4198 and have always thought it was great stuff, betteren 4198, actually.

Pete

There's such a thing as "learning a powder". I shot close to the best shooters, and a few times was the best, using 322 for many years. The best were all using 133 but I couldn't get that stuff to shoot at all. What I'm saying here is that there might not be a truly magic powder but rather a learned powder.

there's such a thing as "learning a powder". I shot close to the best shooters, and a few times was the best, using 322 for many years. The best were all using 133 but i couldn't get that stuff to shoot at all. What i'm saying here is that there might not be a truly magic powder but rather a learned powder.

couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back