22 rimfire psi

Those are maximum pressures. Are they also the normal operating pressures? How about .22LR SV vs HV? Surely the actual pressures for these 2 can't be the same.

Depending on the powders used in each they very well could be.

Most of this Match ammo we are using runs around 17,500 to 20,000 psi!

That is the max pressure for Hyper Velocity ammo!! You can use this number to kind of figure the pressure on most ammo. 17.78 x velocity will give you in the ball park of the pressure!! 17.78 psi is equal to 1 FPS. I come up with this a couple a years ago figuring almost all known pressures to velocities. Like I said it works on most ammo out there. This is some idea on pressures we work with on some ammo.
YBRF! Rambo

PS: There is a few rounds out here like a .308 Winchester and several of the Ultra Mag and Short Mag stuff that has higher pressure ratios to the speed that's in their own category as I've not figured out a common number for that ammo?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming these are chamber pressures?
Does the pressure drop considerably by the time the bullet exits the muzzle?
How would you calculate muzzle exit pressure?

You get max velocity in 14-16 inch of the barrel!!

I'm assuming these are chamber pressures?
Does the pressure drop considerably by the time the bullet exits the muzzle?
How would you calculate muzzle exit pressure?
Yes that would be the pressure at the chamber but after the bullet gets to moving the pressure is dropping of quick!! I couldn't tell you what the pressure would be just before the muzzle but it is very little if the barrel is longer than 16 inches!! I've tested different velocities on different length barrels through a chrono and they run fairly close weather the barrel is 16 inches or the barrel is 28 inches!! Just some things I've checked to see if there was any differents in the speeds on these 22RF!! Rambo

Back