22 rimfire cleaning procedures

schmidtb

I have been cleaning .22 rimfire firearms the same way for 40+ years........Is there any new methods, chemicals etc. that I should consider that may be better/safer these days ?.....I still use a bronze brush.....yes or no?..........how often is necessary with the newer ammo and cleaning chemicals .......coated or stainless cleaning rods? Not nearly as much competition shooting as years ago but still using quality ammo. thanks

Barry

The only thing I do differently, in regards to the method, described on the Eley site, is to use the small diameter .17/.20 Dewey Rod with a jag and brush of .20 caliber. I then use 6.5 caliber patches. When using the brush, pierce the center of the patch, and slip it over the brush. Solvents are a combination of Montana Extreme Rimfire Solvent and Kroil Oil. For the carbon ring issue I use the brush and patch soaked with Sea Foam, scrubbing that area back and forth 10+/_ times. Then dry patches, with the final patch, coated with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner, if the Bench Rest 22LR is going to a rest a week or so. There is no loss of accuracy issue. When scoped, no wear or tear on the lead, chamber, or bore by using the .20 cal. Rod and attachments is seen. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back