.22 hornet to .22 k hornet

L

little bill

I have a rem. import mod. 799 in.22 hornet. I would like to convert this to a .22 k hornet. I would like to know how much work is involved in this operation? Does the barrel have to be removed from the receiver? What type of reamer is used? What other tools are needed? thanks!

My brother had Winchester 43 that had been modified to a "K". He had problems with firing standard hornet cartridges in it, about half of the cases would split. Just a warning.

The barrel should be removed to do it properly and fearlessly. But, the old question comes back, "Why?"
There are other cartridges out there with much better-designed cases, remember, get in a hurry, you might easily suffer:

Case-neck collapsitus....

While it's not a benchrest gun, I opened up my Handi Rifle 22-Hornet up to K-Hornet very easily. I just ran the reamer in the chamber by hand and polished with a wooden dowel and 320 grit sand paper. It came out great and shoots sub MOA. With the limited range of this cartridge, it's still a super varmint slayer. It fills the niche between 22 Magnum and 222 Rem.

Back