22 ARC vs 6 ARC vs 6PPC

Steve Kostanich

I was just curising around the SAAMI website and noticed there is now a 22 ARC. What was interesting is the 22 ARC is not a necked down version of the 6 ARC.
The 22 shows a headspace datum of 1.220 and a overall max case length of 1.525. The 6mm shows HS datum is 1..190 and overall case length of 1.490. I cannot find official specs for the 6PPC as used by Benchrest shooters, so I can't give accurate comparison to the ARCs. BUT it would appear that the 22 ARC will hold more powder than either the 6 ARC and the 6PPC . This gives the possibility of creating a 6PPC on steroids by simply necking the 22ARC up to 6mm.

Just thinking!
Steve Kostanich

I was just curising around the SAAMI website and noticed there is now a 22 ARC. What was interesting is the 22 ARC is not a necked down version of the 6 ARC.
The 22 shows a headspace datum of 1.220 and a overall max case length of 1.525. The 6mm shows HS datum is 1..190 and overall case length of 1.490. I cannot find official specs for the 6PPC as used by Benchrest shooters, so I can't give accurate comparison to the ARCs. BUT it would appear that the 22 ARC will hold more powder than either the 6 ARC and the 6PPC . This gives the possibility of creating a 6PPC on steroids by simply necking the 22ARC up to 6mm.

Just thinking!
Steve Kostanich
A 22 ARC is exactly a 22 Grendel and a 6 ARC is a shortened Grendel, .040 IIRC, which would make it a ppc + .030 long. Been shooting a 6 Grendel in BR for a few years now and have won multiple national aggs with it. Just started playing with a 22 Grendel aka ARC. It's fast and has potential! Been wildcatting Grendels for 17+ years now. The Lapua brass is every bit as good as 220 R brass but I stay away from other brands. There's some new stuff out there now but I'm not convinced yet. What I've tried does not stack up well vs Lapua I may have the .030 vs .040 mixed up without looking but either way...the arc and grendel cases are pretty much right between a ppc and a br in capacity..a little closer to ppc.

Last edited:

Just thinking!
Steve Kostanich
Sounds like it would be a similar capacity to a 6BR. Maybe a touch less.

Sounds like it would be a similar capacity to a 6BR. Maybe a touch less.
Less than a br. Closer to a ppc but close to middle, depending a little on which variation. Either way, a grendel is a .070 long ppc and the 6 ARC is even between those while the 22 arc retains greandel datum length. Bottom line, I look at a 6 Grendel as nothing more than a 6 PPC on streoids and can't see or shoot the difference. Great case to wildcat.

Last edited:
Back