2020 Lot of LT32

WallyDog

Took possession of a jug of LT32 made in May of 2020. Preliminary chrono work at the farm is promising. 27.5 gives 3290fps. 65gr Jones 7 ogive bullet. Going up .5gr in half grain increments gives 3320,3360,3420 fps. I went no higher. The cases were mild extracting with no cratering. !YMMV! Only for comparison purposes. Work up your own load data for your own rifle as per safe load development practices. No groups were shot. I like the 3320 to 3360 window numbers.

Wally

Took possession of a jug of LT32 made in May of 2020. Preliminary chrono work at the farm is promising. 27.5 gives 3290fps. 65gr Jones 7 ogive bullet. Going up .5gr in half grain increments gives 3320,3360,3420 fps. I went no higher. The cases were mild extracting with no cratering. !YMMV! Only for comparison purposes. Work up your own load data for your own rifle as per safe load development practices. No groups were shot. I like the 3320 to 3360 window numbers.

Wally

Wally, with no groups, what makes you, "like" the 3320-2260 window? At last, care package is on its way.:eek: What's wrong with a 67gr, seven ogive Jones?:confused: Are you now settled into measuring to 0.000005" increments? :eek::pRG

Last edited:
I tried some yesterday

in my PPC and it shot ok at 27.52 gr. Too soon to tell however as it was 70F and will see how it does at 45 this coming Sunday morning. It sure meters smoothly and seems very clean burning based on case and bore inspection.

Is this a true temperature stable powder? How does it do in different humidity situations...from humid(60+) to dry <50? Tks

I've shot LT-32 in my PPCs, but 2014 production. Can't remember the lot numbers. It's quite temperature stable. As long as the humidity was mild to low, it shot well (20 to high 90s on temp). My barrels liked 28.3 grs. Now when the humidity rose, say 65-70% or higher, it would jump tune. Dropping down to 28.0 brought it back in most of the times. Other times it wanted that and some seating depth change. Of course, that's what my gun liked. I only cite those numbers to illustrate what I found with 32 in moist air.

I will say this. In very humid air, it loses its edge. You can tune it back in but I could never get it to print as well as in drier air. Maybe that's why 32 is more widely used out west.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Wally, with no groups, what makes you, "like" the 3320-2260 window? At last, care package its way.:eek: What's wrong with a 67gr, seven ogive Jones?:confused: Are you now settled into measuring to 0.000005" increments? :eek::pRG

Randy, I sold my bullet making equipment 10 yrs ago. I have about 600 left. The 65GR Jones Hummer Bullet will be no more. Of course I used steel dies and everyone knows "that'll never work"! lol. The 3320 -3360fps magic window is what used to be my best loads using various powders but with MY bullets only. Thanks for sending your BIB 65's my way. Im gonna go my best to launch every one of them into a bughole I did finally group shoot the LT32 all the way to 3420fps. No nirvana there. It shot the smallest groups at 27.5gr. 3280fps load. This with quite a bit of neck tension. All bullets are being pushed back .005 upon closing the bolt. I got to shoot a match this Sunday so Im gonna shoot the H4198 ex as it had the most promise at that seat depth. Further experiments to follow with seat depth but Im busy as a one armed paper hanger for a few weeks.
Wally

in my PPC and it shot ok at 27.52 gr. Too soon to tell however as it was 70F and will see how it does at 45 this coming Sunday morning. It sure meters smoothly and seems very clean burning based on case and bore inspection.

Is this a true temperature stable powder? How does it do in different humidity situations...from humid(60+) to dry <50? Tks

Ive never met a truly temperature stable 6ppc with any powder to be honest. Stable until 90 degrees and 80% humidity maybe?? The 30BR using H4198 EX seems way more forgiving with a fatter forgivness window. Im shooting score only now and may be talked into a 30 this winter as I have never caught on to the sensitive 6PPC tuning voodoo.

Updated info here.

Lou Murdica was good enough to inform me this is a 2015 lot of LT32. Its not a 2020 lot.The mistake being made was a white tag on front of the jug with 031820 on it. The store owner said it was a March 2020 lot but was mistaken. I added up two and two but it wasnt 4.

Wally

Back