2 different BAT trigger hangers?........

S

scott mims

i guess thats what you call these things. always wanted to know since i got my BAT DS in 2005...... it came with 2 hangers with different numbers on them. is one "better" than the other? i use a jewel trigger and was always scared to bother anything and try the other one. was just wondering if they will make the rifle shoot different (better/worse). thanks

i guess thats what you call these things. always wanted to know since i got my BAT DS in 2005...... it came with 2 hangers with different numbers on them. is one "better" than the other? i use a jewel trigger and was always scared to bother anything and try the other one. was just wondering if they will make the rifle shoot different (better/worse). thanks
First, look up Jerry Stillers post about travel, protrusion and spring strength. Then check what you have now and then decide. I know Tony, Wayne and those guys put a lot of importance in trigger tune, and they are always among the winners.

Jerry's right. The number on the hangers is how far (in thousands) from the baseline "0", the trigger hanger moves the trigger to the rear, thus increasing firing pin fall.

Hovis

thanks guys. i'm sure it varies from rifle to rifle but i'm sure most leave it at the "0" baseline??? i think when i took the trigger out the other day, the one marked with "0" is in there.

Whats the "theory" of moving the trigger closer or further back........ what does it suppose to do?

If we could get Jim Borden's attention, and if he had the time/inclination he could give us all a lesson in trigger timing/tuning. I have no clue myself, but I believe that between Jim Borden and Greg Walley there's little about the situation that hasn't been fairly explored and quantified. I can buy Jewell triggers for significantly less but have bought from Jim several times just because he KNOWS how to tune a trigger setup.

"A man's gotta' know his limitations..." and I try to know mine. Installing a trigger is an easy job for anyone with hands, but a rifle set up by Borden's Accuracy with a TIMED trigger is IMO a jewel (pun fully inten
al

trigger

If the striker has to short of a rearward travel to engage the sear, a blown primer can break the trigger sear. A blown primer can put enough force to push the striker full rearward, it will then rebound back again'st the sear, chipping the sear contact, or breaking it at the pivot point. I had this happen on an early 6x47 on a Rem. XP-100 with a Rem trigger. A friend had it happen twice on a 6-PPC with a Rem. action, and a Kenyon trigger. In my case it was with the old Rem. 6 1/2 primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to Jim Borden about this very thing not long ago and as I remember, he described this as trigger timing. He has or fits the proper hanger to the bolt or action allowing the the sear to engage at the proper point in time so as to not leave too much tension on the sear. The opposite would be to have a jumping effect to the sear if you could go that far. He said that you could tell by how much tension the bolt had when you went to battery. I may have it wrong and wouldn't mind hearing it again (I was heavily medicated at the time of conversation).
A call to Jim is in order. He knows his business and can explain it probably as well or better than anyone and is easy enough to talk to.

Jim

The primary reason for these adjustable hangers anymore is due to the variance in the sears on Jewell triggers the last several years.

Hovis

Back