1977 Winchester torque values

D

da357mag

I have had this rifle for a short time and it is still a work in progress. It's a 22-250 with a varmint barrel on it and I just ordered a set of action screws, which are hex head and what I need to find out is what to torque these to! I searched and can't find any info any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.:confused: Doug

"Torque value" is a concept dreamed up by the wannabe operator crowd. There is no such thing as "proper torque value" in regards to accuracy. Companies recommend a value for one reason... to keep the handle from falling off the gun. Before a rifle can be expected to perform properly it must be properly "bedded." This means that a qualified craftsman must modify the surface upon which the barreled action rests such that it transfers loading evenly from the madly vibrating barreled action assy to the "handle" or stock. Properly bedded rifles are immune to "action screw torque, in fact if your poi changes materially as you fiddle with the screws then this, in itself, is indication that your bedding is well and truly buggered.

opinionsby

al

I guess I will do my own experimenting to find out what works, I do know that torque does play a factor in how the rifle will shoot.

I you want a value then start at 35 INCH POUNDS for the two action screws

The center screw 1 inch pounds (or just so it will not fall out)

Last edited:
"Torque value" is a concept dreamed up by the wannabe operator crowd. There is no such thing as "proper torque value" in regards to accuracy. Companies recommend a value for one reason... to keep the handle from falling off the gun. Before a rifle can be expected to perform properly it must be properly "bedded." This means that a qualified craftsman must modify the surface upon which the barreled action rests such that it transfers loading evenly from the madly vibrating barreled action assy to the "handle" or stock. Properly bedded rifles are immune to "action screw torque, in fact if your poi changes materially as you fiddle with the screws then this, in itself, is indication that your bedding is well and truly buggered.

opinionsby

al

Good thing I wasnt drinking coffe Al, that last line woulda made a mess of my monitor. :) But a truer statement than that I have not heard.

DR

Back