190 SMK powders using in 308 Win

Steveb

Hi

Anyone have information regarding the better powders to use in the 308 Win when shooting 190 SMK's? Thanks for any info you have.

Steve

Varget and N150

Varget is my personal favorite with the 190MK. Loaded to 2600 fps it is very accurate.

190 SMK's

Thanks for the reply. I did try Varget and it worked well. I used 43.2 Varget, BR2 primer and Lapua brass. However, it appears to be somewhat a hot load in my rifle so I may have to reduce the charge a bit. I was shooting at about 25 degrees F and was getting shiny extractor rub marks. What would you suggest for Varget and N150?
Thanks again, Steve

Varget ala 2208

2600 + very acurate, but lot to lot can be sometimes inconsistent.(1 to 1.5 gr.) in 308W but to be fair I may have it stored for some time also.

Peter

Two powders that I am quite fond of with the 190 SMK are Hodgdon 4064 and VV N550. Both work quite well and the 4064 has been a standby for many years.

I second the N550 with the 190s. I tried a few different powders, loading till I got cratering, and got better velocity with N550 than with Varget or H4350. H4350 was not far behind the N550 load and gave lower ES/higher velocity than Varget

h4350

Hi Rooshooter

I am really interested in the loads you were using using H4350. I can't find much info in using this powder in the 308.

Steve

SteveB. My load is 49 gn of H4350 (actualy AR2209 which is identical powder but with a Hodgdon label). I have used up to 49.5gn with no problems, no sticky cases, but 49 was slightly more accurate.
You might ask how I fit this amount of powder into the case. You will have to use a fairly long narrow drop tube under a funnel and tap the powder pan on the funnel as you trickle it through, taking about 6 seconds or so to trickle it. This way will settle the powder lower in the case, try it if you havent already. I also went to Winchester cases which have slightly more volume than the Lapuas. My throat is a standard Palma chamber and BULLETS ARE MOLLIED.
Bullets were about 0.010" into the lands

49gn gave 2650 fps
49.5gns gave close to 2700fps in a 27" barrel SLIGHT primer cratering.
If I say that this load prefers PMC russian primers, people will poopoo it so I wont mention that.

Back