100 yd shooting tunnel

Bob contact Gene Beggs. He made one.
I am not sure so dont hold me to it I am sure others that have been there will chime in but It looked like he used some kind of big concrete pipe but I might be wrong.

Bob,
At one time I did some research on shooting tunnels. What it comes down to is that there is quite a bit more to it than enclosing the space from gun to target. Any time that the walls of the tunnel are at a different temperature than the air inside there is the potential for the target image to move, and this will cause problems. I suppose that how critical this is depends on what you are planning on using it for. If I was going to be involved in building a tunnel, I would make a list of who has one, and call them all, asking for construction details, problems, and what they would do differently. Good luck with your project.
Boyd

I have considered building a 50 yd tunnel out of truck tires. There is a dealer nearby that has to pay to get rid of 50 to 100 per week. The down side is that you would only have a 24" diameter tunnel, but you could have movable platforms from which you could shoot positions.
It would certainly be safe for .22's and most handguns, but I don't know how it would work for CF rifles. It would be easy enough to build a "vee" trough to stack them in.

Just a thought.

I have considered building a 50 yd tunnel out of truck tires. There is a dealer nearby that has to pay to get rid of 50 to 100 per week. The down side is that you would only have a 24" diameter tunnel, but you could have movable platforms from which you could shoot positions.
It would certainly be safe for .22's and most handguns, but I don't know how it would work for CF rifles. It would be easy enough to build a "vee" trough to stack them in.

Just a thought.

That idea is spelled M.I.R.A.G.E.

:)

al

Herzo, even at 50yds mirage will destroy accuracy. The biggest bugaboo with the tunnels is mirage, some are buried for this reason, all the good ones have elaborate air flow control systems.

A stack of tires will absorb heat and mirage will destroy your sight picture.

BTW mirage is generated by temperature differential, it can be just as bad at 20below zero as a 100 above.

al

That is why as I understand it Gene has installed exhaust fans in his.
If you look him up in the members list and email him he is usually always willing to share.
One of the nicest guys I have ever met. Always willing to share what he has learned and knows with anyone especially new shooters.

I remember reading some place

that one of the pioneers in rifle accuracy built a 100yd tunnel from Muslin cloth supported by hoops and other supports. I think of that often and wonder if that might be a good way to proceed.

I have shot in Gene's tunnel and in my opinion, it is worth the trip there to shoot in it. There are others closer but I have not seen anything written about them or the conditions in them. Yes, tunnels have conditions! :(

I have access to a 4 position 100 yd tunnel within 5 miles of my home. Unfortunately, they have no facility for prone shooting and anything off of a rest is awkward (standing only). They do have an electronic target system that will show you a plot of your groups. You cannot hang a paper target however.

Hello Pete long time no speak.
Glad to see you up and around.
Wow you actually came down here to never never land?:cool:
I dont remember signing your tourist visa, guess I must have been on vacation or something.:p

Anyway please elaborate on tunnel conditions for us a little more.
Other than heat I and vortex(?) I didnt know about this.

BTW I still have those 30's you were so kind to send me. But alas Shelly wasnt able to finish my gun so maybe next season or so I hope.

Do you find that different calibers react differently in tunnels? That is does one react differently in a tunnel than another caliber in the same tunnel?

FWIW some of the Bass pro shops have 100 yd tunnels underground.
The one in DFW does but the one in San Antonio does not.

Francis, I think its probably the methane that give him the most mirage in the cattle barns.

Just a thought.

Herzo,
Hey, if it dosn't work out,you can always burn 'em. You can always say the plume of black smoke from your yard was caused by a meteorite or somethin'.
Joel

Last edited:
I know the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO has one and you can hear someone shooting under your feet if you're in the hunting department. I was told you have to wait a while for the tunnel to settle down after each shot. The shock waves from the bullet disturb the air and the fan is constantly pulling air through it.

I heard a couple years ago a gunsmith in east texas built a 100 yard tunel out of damaged contaners.

Back