100 versus 200 rifle accuracy comparisons

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
I want to keep this simple. How many out there feel that a rifle is capable of shooting better for them at 200 versus 100?

I am definately starting to believe that after this past weekend. I am by no means a GREAT shooter but I am seeing enough to believe that my Sporter shoots better for me at 200. In looking at my targets I got killed on the push and what I figure was some mirage. But verticaly and tune wise I like to feel that when I can keep 3 shots in the high 3's or 4's that rifle is pretty good to me.

So what are your thoughts fellas?

Calvin

I want to keep this simple. How many out there feel that a rifle is capable of shooting better for them at 200 versus 100?

I am definately starting to believe that after this past weekend. I am by no means a GREAT shooter but I am seeing enough to believe that my Sporter shoots better for me at 200. In looking at my targets I got killed on the push and what I figure was some mirage. But verticaly and tune wise I like to feel that when I can keep 3 shots in the high 3's or 4's that rifle is pretty good to me.

So what are your thoughts fellas?

Calvin

Are you talking about better groups at 200 vs 100 or just shooting better in relation to the competition ?? 3 shots ????

Calvin

This Q has been around the block more times than Moly vs Naked.

My thoughts are that it can't be done.

Set up two targets, one at 100 and the other at 200. Set them so both targets will catch the shots. Fire several groups. Compare the size at 100 and at 200. Report back. If you have smaller groups at 200, I will eat my words and apologize.

Ray

I don't know if it's the rifle that shoots better, but the barrel or the bullet might shoot better (in MOA) at 200 than 100. You bet. I don't think many competitors would argue that.

There are many shooters around these parts who use certain barrels for certain distances and/or different bullets when they go to 200 yards.

That being said, if you get a bullet to work really well at 100, it will most likely work at 200. But a bullet that hums at 200 might not work as well at 100. Clear as mud right?

I shoot better at 200 than at 100. Guess it´s my shooting style that fits better for 200.

Also, it you don´t practice much(I sometimes don´t;)), you will most likely be in better shape after a day or two shooting, and thats normaly when the 200 stage begins.

The question is not, "do you shoot better at 200 than you do at 100?" It is, " is a rifle capable of shooting better at 200 versus 100?"

Two completely different questions. Two completely different answers. The first can be proven anecdotaly, the second can be proven factually.

JMHO

Ray

Calvin

Calvin you may mean, can the same shooter same gun agg better at 200 than they can at 100. Say on the same day he shot a .2300 agg at 100 followed by a .2100 at 200 for a .2200 grand agg. Great day, the 200 agg probably won the Grand for that shooter. One reason the shooter may be a good mirage reader at 200 along with his flags, I am one of those I win more 200 trophies than 100.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Boy i sure wish i could shoot better at 200 as opposed to 100. I would have the cat by his gonads if that were true for me!!! LOL!!!

Bullet Flight vs TGT Distance

Sir(s): The short answer to the original question is, NO. Rifles do not shoot better with distance based on simple geometry. I.E. a 1 DEG error in initial rifle position results in a greater variation with respect to [wrt] distance at greater ranges.
I cite the diagram in "Modern Exterior Ballistics" by Robert L. McCoy P.194. Seen from behind, the rifle a bullet travels in an epicylic curve [a cork screw path] to the target. WRT a 6 Degree of Freedom [6dof] computer model, moments [forces] both inertial and mechanical are working on the bullet in flight. There is an oscillation [within this epicylic curve] that with both time and distance damps to nearly zero. As a result the long range guys say the bullet goes to sleep. This motion is a function of bullet weight and shape, initial velocity, barrel twist and other issues which I choose not to bother you with herein. It' s the damping of this oscillation that is giving you the illusion of better groups at 200 then at 100. In short you have a system optimized for greater then 100 yd shooting... BE WELL...V/r mk

Sir(s): The short answer to the original question is, NO. Rifles do not shoot better with distance based on simple geometry. I.E. a 1 DEG error in initial rifle position results in a greater variation with respect to [wrt] distance at greater ranges.
I cite the diagram in "Modern Exterior Ballistics" by Robert L. McCoy P.194. Seen from behind, the rifle a bullet travels in an epicylic curve [a cork screw path] to the target. WRT a 6 Degree of Freedom [6dof] computer model, moments [forces] both inertial and mechanical are working on the bullet in flight. There is an oscillation [within this epicylic curve] that with both time and distance damps to nearly zero. As a result the long range guys say the bullet goes to sleep. This motion is a function of bullet weight and shape, initial velocity, barrel twist and other issues which I choose not to bother you with herein. It' s the damping of this oscillation that is giving you the illusion of better groups at 200 then at 100. In short you have a system optimized for greater then 100 yd shooting... BE WELL...V/r mk

Or you just hold better at 200 :)

Many bow shooters, myself included, shoot better at 20yds than at 10.

al

Back