100-200 yd. Benchrest loads for 6BR 1-14 w/68g bullet

E

ehkempf

What are your favorite Benchrest loads for the 6BR when using a 68g bullet? I have a newly accquired Remington 40X with 22 inch barrel and a 1-14 twist. I am going to use this rifle as a starter as I have never shot Centerfire Benchrest before. I do shoot Rimfire Benchrest, only at the club level, so I thought I would give Centerfire a try. I was thinking of using H 4895 as I have a Varmint rifle that started out as a Rem. 40x 220 Swift, but had Jim Hart rebarrel to 6MM BR and it loves H 4895 30.7 g with 70g bullets.

Thanks,

Ed

A lot of good science on the 6BR is presented here if you haven't read through it yet: http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

Comments on a 1:12 twist barrel and the 68 grain bullet are covered too. :)

I basically posted the same question on that site also. Yes a lot of good information, but most of the posting is not specific to my question. Seems that most 6BR users have 1-8 or faster and in favor of the 105 g and up bullets, also some posting for the 1-12. I would like to narrow the answers down to 1-14 usage with 68g match bullets.

Ed

I've had good results using N-135, Norma brass, and Fed 205 match primers in my 1/14 barrels. I know people who really like a 68 gr. FB or BT in that kind of 6BR setup, but they never worked the best for me. I like Don Lahr's 66 gr FBs or Berger 65 gr. WEB at 200 yards. The new Berger column bullets look like they'd work well too, but I have about a 3 year supply of the above bullets......

http://precisionballisticsllc.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
ehkempf

Feel free to e-mail me at magnuss183@gmail.com
I have been shooting the 6BR for 24 years in
HV and HB rifles.
As a rule I dont publish my loads on the web.

Sincerely yours,
Magnus Sigurdsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND
(46 F...winter is comming!)

40X-6BR, 1-14 twist loves H-322 with a 60 grain or 62 grain Berger bullet.

Shooting 68 gr Bergers or 67 gr Bibs in a 14 twist barrel, I like to use 33.0 gr of Varget. The load density is perfect - very slight compressed load with a 6 inch drop tube in my thrower. I've tried other powders but none are better than the results I get from Varget.

Back