10.5 gun with a tunner

Bob, it depends upon what type of stock you have on the rifle and the weight you need on the barrel. If a barrel is going to have a tuner, I generally measure the barrel at the muzzle where I have the diameter that I need and mark the muzzle there then mark back 22” and figure out what the barrel will weigh if I cut it there. For instance, for a 7/8-32 thread, I’ll measure where the taper measures .875” or slightly larger, mark it there and measure back. I use a spreadsheet similar to the barrel weight calculator that Rodney Brown has or had as a sticky post on one of these forums to figure barrel weight before I cut the barrel. Gene Bukys had Bartlein make a taper especially for him to use with his tuners. Not too sure what the difference is on his contour and a LV taper contour. If I need to, I’ll turn the big end of the barrel down to 1.19 or 1.18 to get more cylinder length for more flat on the chuck end. Mark Buetgen at Bartlein can help you out on Gene’s taper. Any time you need a barrel weight below 5 pounds to accomadate a tuner it becomes more difficult to make weight. I haven’t seen a disadvantage to cutting back to 21” in length, but wouldn’t want to go back further.

Last edited:
http://www.shootershed.com/utils/app/index.html#/barrelWeight

I used a HBR taper barrel on both my 10.5 30BR's...one with a Beggs tuner. The tuner was a bit behind the muzzle but it didn't seem to make any difference as to how it worked. The HBR contours are surprisingly stiff as Dan Lilja's work shows.

https://riflebarrels.com/a-look-at-the-rigidity-of-benchrest-barrels/

10.5 lb. 30BR with HBR taper barrel and Beggs tuner:

tYTa3rJl.jpg

10.5 lb. 30BR with HBR taper barrel, no tuner:

X1wKeqPl.jpg

Brush,I believe either Brunos or Bullet Central offers a LV “tuner taper” . Hart might also.

Tuner profile

This is what we have been using with Mikes tuner for a couple of years now.
Easily makes weight at 22-23” with no loss in accuracy. I have Krieger make these to my spec but it is basically a modified Palma profile. I just chambered up 6 new ones (2 ea 13.5/13.75/14) to test some different bullet designs Steve Epstein and I are playing with. In my experience this profile seems to respond to the tuner more predictably. YMMV
Greg

Attachments

• 5C595FFD-9FE1-4700-A638-D2CCB8BBDAE5.jpeg
    5C595FFD-9FE1-4700-A638-D2CCB8BBDAE5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 240
  • 9B714BC5-7913-4862-BB89-61265D6D2BAC.jpeg
    9B714BC5-7913-4862-BB89-61265D6D2BAC.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 200
This is what we have been using with Mikes tuner for a couple of years now.
Easily makes weight at 22-23” with no loss in accuracy. I have Krieger make these to my spec but it is basically a modified Palma profile. I just chambered up 6 new ones (2 ea 13.5/13.75/14) to test some different bullet designs Steve Epstein and I are playing with. In my experience this profile seems to respond to the tuner more predictably. YMMV
Greg

gold....

friggin' GOLD here....

Thank You

One of my older cars had a nice single wire antennae with a tiny ball on the tip.
Might have been my older F150.

More than once I noticed in light rain that the vibration node was about 1 inch from the tip of the antenna.
That spot was not moving at all.
The ball was doing exactly what a cantilevered load should do for vibration.
Move it slightly in from the end.

I remember pointing it out to my then attorney wife.
She could not wrap her head around it.

One of my older cars had a nice single wire antennae with a tiny ball on the tip.

More than once I noticed in light rain that the vibration node was about 1 inch from the tip of the antenna.

Friggin' CALFEE here....... :)

((That's CAFFEE, like coffee but with an 'A'))

"I couldn't take it back boss!"
John Coffey

She probably wanted the tip to extend more than an inch. ?. Ya know...art work!

Ya probably had to explain some physics to her at that point...It can only stretch so far before it falls off, kinda thing. ?

Then again...I've never found a woman that can't wrap her head around it. ???

Last edited:
Back