10 10 scale repair

82boy

Patrick Kennedy
I remember reading, on one of these sites, that there is a guy that works on 10 10 scales. I think his name is Scott. Somehow my scale took a dump, and will not zero. It worked fine last time I used it, and it sat on a shelf, but for some reason it is not working. If anyone can tell me how to get a hold of him or fix this I would appreciate it.

82boy ...

I remember reading, on one of these sites, that there is a guy that works on 10 10 scales. I think his name is Scott. Somehow my scale took a dump, and will not zero. It worked fine last time I used it, and it sat on a shelf, but for some reason it is not working. If anyone can tell me how to get a hold of him or fix this I would appreciate it.

If it's an RCBS 10-10 Scale it's got a Lifetime Warranty. They'll either fix it or replace it for free. I'd give that a whirl first. You might call 800-533-5000 if you have questions. :)

I think Ohaus makes the RCBS scale. I have the Ohaus. Try 1 800 526-0659

10-10 is one of the best small scales out there and well worth having fixed. Ohaus or RCBS will probably fix it for free.

Hovis

I had a brand new 10-10 scale shipped to a friend, he had problems. I had it sent back to RCBS, they sent him a brand new one, no charge.

I bought my Ohaus in 1975, same as the later RCBS. I've had no problems yet, but if I did, it would go straight back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

I took lifetime to mean just that.:D

Here is what I did. Disassemble the part of the scale that holds the agate pieces that the beam balances on, and clean all parts, including that section of the main scale body casting, with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips, until there is no more dirt or oil residue. Clean and inspect the knife edges, removing any burrs that are the result of mishandling. Reassemble the scale, level the base with a torpedo level. Set the scale to exact zero. Add small bits of any durable material to the scale pan till it balances perfectly, then add the material to the chamber under on the underside of the pan holder. This assumes that your scale is built like an RCBS 10-10. After rechecking to make sure that the scale is perfectly balanced with the base level, weigh the brass weight that comes with the scale, and any other check weights that you have access to. Better yet, check it against a high quality electronic scale, or another balance scale that you trust. I did two this way and they work better than new. If yours doesn't, send it to Ohaus.

The reason I suggested

chucking it is the one I had use to give false zeros because the magnetic dampening system got magnatized and was unreliable after that. I did flip the metal piece a couple of times but it would guickly take a charge.

balance beams

call me old fashioned, but the only reason i own an electronic scale is to weigh sort new brass into groups.
i have an rcbs check weight set also.
one time my beam scale fell and i had to reset it as the bowl on the bottom of the pan holder popped and the counter weights rolled away.:eek: since then they check out ok all the time. i guess i "feel better" seeing the beam zero out.

personally i would try cleaning the agate and knife edges. if that didnt work i would send to rcbs as they really mean it is lifetime guarenteed.
Fred

I called up Ohaus and they were all over wanting me to send it in and when I told them I couldn't spare it, they sent me the two agate rests that the knife edges sit in to change out myself until I could get a chance to send it in.
That was about 15 years ago.

82boy, all you have to do is call Ohaus.........

if the scale is an Ohaus they will charge you something like $5-$7.50. If it is an RCBS, you still send it to them, they will fix it for free. No matter whose it is, they go all through it, cleaning, polishing, replacing, re-calibrating, anything and EVERYTHING, till its brand new, and get it back to you in about seven days or so, from when you put it in the mail or shipper's hands. I know, I had to do it, about four years ago. I asked about the difference between them and RCBS and the lifetime warranty........Well, LIFEtime is unrealistic, because parts DO wear, is what they told me, and, I have to agree. I couldn't believe the turn-around, though, and perfect, or, as advertised. ;)

I agree with RCBS not BS`ing about warrenting the scale. I have a 5-10 (RCBS marked, made by Ohaus) I found in a yard sale years ago in a box of reloading tools and bullets, and just tried it out last week. The beam wouldn`t zero so called to see what to do about repair. The Tech told me how to add wgt or remove it to the pan cup to zero the scale and said he was sending a envelope of lead wgts to work with. I called last Friday afternoon and got the envelope with wgts this Monday. You can`t beat their service.

BTW I`ve a 502, 5-10 and a 10-10 RCBS scale that are all marked "made by Oahus" The 502 was bought by my dad in the early `60s and the 10-10 I bought in the early/mid `90s. I`ve no idea of the 5-10s age but I have had it about 10/12 yrs. I wouldn`t doubt Ohaus still makes scales for RCBS.

Back