M

maxguerz

you know the advantages to the neck 0.268 compared to 0.263(6PPC)?Better accuracy or just more lasting brass?I heard that Boyer and other shooters use thanks

if you have no equipment invested in thin necks, go to thick necks....by the way 269 and 270 work.....
the thin necks were base on the original poor quality brass REQUIRING lots of turning to clean up. that is not the case today.

mike in co

There wasn't anything wrong with the original Sako .220 Russian brass. It wasn't poor quality, it just had thinner necks and when it cleaned up, it cleaned up for a .262 or .263 chamber.

I have 200 new Norma Cases, I will have to have my favorite reamer ground in the neck portion to .265, I might set my tool griner up and do it myself.

But before I do that, I am going to get to the range and just shoot them as they are in my .269 neck, a loaded round has about .0035 clearance. The necks are very consistant in wall thickness. I figure a .264 bushing will work just right. I have a die I made that now uses bushings.......jackie

FWIW, with the Norma brass and the Knight 7 ogive that I have, the neck is .2655 unturned. The necks are very uniform. I have a .268 on order. Seems like it would be a nice compromise between the Norma brass and limiting neck turning on the Lapua should I go back to it.

Are you guys shure about this .268 thing ? I played with a .269 chamber once,didn't like it. It was death grip or nothin'. OK with a 133 heavy neck tension set up but worthless with an 8208 light neck tension setup. With competition 6ppc "finesse" is the name of the game. Finesse with seating depth,finesse with powder charge and finesse with neck tension. I lost that with the .269 chamber. I also found that bullets were distorted during the seating process with that muscle bound neck. Bad Ju-Ju !
Joel

Last edited:
Are you guys shure about this .268 thing ? I played with a .269 chamber once,didn't like it. It was death grip or nothin'. OK with a 133 heavy neck tension set up but worthless with an 8208 light neck tension setup. With competition 6ppc "finesse" is the name of the game. Finesse with seating depth,finesse with powder charge and finesse with neck tension. I lost that with the .269 chamber. I also found that bullets were distorted during the seating process with that muscle bound neck. Bad Ju-Ju
Joel

Joel, the 6Beggs cartridge was designed for the .269 neck diameter. I use only the Lapua 220 Russian case which I believe is the finest case we have ever had for short range benchrest shooting. Neck thickness should be turned to .0120 which provides a loaded round diameter of .267. A carbide bushing of .2660 provides ideal neck tension with most 6mm bullets. I have found the thicker necks last much longer and maintain consistent neck tension even after dozens of firings unlike the .0080 to .0085 necks which always loosened up after a few firings. The thicker necks do not require as much squeeze as the thinner ones. I found this out the hard way after ordering several thousand dollars worth of custom carbide neck bushings which had to be reground. The .262 necks required a bushing .003 to .004 smaller than the loaded round to give the right neck tension, but with the thicker necks of the .268 and .269 chambers, it only takes .001 squeeze. I would not dream of going back to .261 or .262 necks. Once you get used to the .268 and .269 necks you will never look back.

Gene Beggs

I have 2 6pcc's and a 6BR all .262 neck's. About 8 years ago bob white hooked me up with a .269 neck 6BR with zero free bore and i have just loved it. run the necks at .0115 and use a .265 bushing and shoots in a hole(allways). needed some new barrels and with the change in the lapua cases i went to a .268 neck in the 6BR zero freebore and its been the same resualts as the .269 but i feel i need a .264 bushing to get the edge back to it.
So i signed up for a new 6ppc build,by a top reputable maker and he gave me two neck size options .269 and cant remember the other one maybe .264or.265.I said what would you recomend he said really it's a personal preference,He thinks they shoot the same.In That case i went with the .269 neck, And im kind of excited about it.

Gene,
Thanks, I still have access to that .269 barrel, I'll give it another whirl with the .266
Joel

I ask the board ...whether to make the neck .268 is fair shake .266/.267 ?(sorry for my writing .... use a translator)
max

Max,

It seems that the majority of people think that .268 will shoot as good as, but no better than, .262. The advantage is less time and trouble turning necks.

The question is how much neck tension with the thicker (.268) when shooting VV N133. It seems like a good place to start is with .001 or .002.

Max,

It seems that the majority of people think that .268 will shoot as good as, but no better than, .262. The advantage is less time and trouble turning necks.

The question is how much neck tension with the thicker (.268) when shooting VV N133. It seems like a good place to start is with .001 or .002.

Got that all worked out for you. Learned it the hard way. :rolleyes:

For the thicker necks, i.e., 268 and 269 the sizing die bushing should be .001 smaller than the loaded round. Never more than .0015 smaller. For a 269 neck, the cases should be turned to .0120 which results in a loaded round diameter of .267. The proper bushing is .2660 and I usually keep a .2655 in reserve in case I encounter bullets that are slightly undersize. Of course, for a 268 neck, everything is .001 smaller. I have found quite a bit of runout in some off the shelf bushings. That's why I chose to special order my own carbide bushings. They are straight and right on the money size wise. I've got a batch of them in the works at this time. If you have any special requests, get in touch with me. If you have never used carbide bushings, you should try them. They put a nice smooth, burnished finish on the necks with NO scratches and come in .0005 increments. Cheap? No, sorry. :rolleyes: But what in benchrest is? :eek:

Gene Beggs

Got that all worked out for you. Learned it the hard way. :rolleyes:

For the thicker necks, i.e., 268 and 269 the sizing die bushing should be .001 smaller than the loaded round. Never more than .0015 smaller. For a 269 neck, the cases should be turned to .0120 which results in a loaded round diameter of .267. The proper bushing is .2660 and I usually keep a .2655 in reserve in case I encounter bullets that are slightly undersize. Of course, for a 268 neck, everything is .001 smaller. I have found quite a bit of runout in some off the shelf bushings. That's why I chose to special order my own carbide bushings. They are straight and right on the money size wise. I've got a batch of them in the works at this time. If you have any special requests, get in touch with me. If you have never used carbide bushings, you should try them. They put a nice smooth, burnished finish on the necks with NO scratches and come in .0005 increments. Cheap? No, sorry. :rolleyes: But what in benchrest is? :eek:

Gene Beggs

I send you email

Gene,
I've mic'd steel and carbide bushings that were out ( measuring top to bottom parallel) How do you check a bushing ? How do you measure the inside channel as being perpendicular to the top of the bushing ? Forgive my lack of machinist jargon.Just want better bushings.
Joel

Gene,
I've mic'd steel and carbide bushings that were out ( measuring top to bottom parallel) How do you check a bushing ? How do you measure the inside channel as being perpendicular to the top of the bushing ? Forgive my lack of machinist jargon.Just want better bushings.
Joel

Joel, I don't make the bushings and have no idea how to check them other than using them. I'm not an expert machinist and have no high tech measuring equipment but I know those that do. When there is a question I can't answer I turn it over to the experts. I'll check with the manufacturer tommorow and see what they say.

I've been using these bushings in the Hornady die made for the 220 Beggs and 6Beggs cartridges for years and have never had a problem with excessive runout. I seat bullets with an L.E. Wilson straight line seater. Loaded round runout typically shows about .001 to .0015 TIR.

Gene Beggs

Back