PDA

View Full Version : unconventional HBR stock

alinwa
04-20-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm seeing HBR listed again in my area.

Question;

Does this stock comply with HBR rules?

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/competition-stocks-anschutz-silhouette/

R.G. Robinett
04-20-2018, 06:48 PM
I'm seeing HBR listed again in my area. Question; Does this stock comply with HBR rules? https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/competition-stocks-anschutz-silhouette/ It appears that, presuming a maximum fore-end width, of 2.25", it would CONFORM to the rules: the specs. page is empty from my end. The "normal" Hunter Class stock, per Francis may be easier to make the 10.0 Lb. weight limit (?) - but that's another SWAG! RG

alinwa
04-20-2018, 11:15 PM
It appears that, presuming a maximum fore-end width, of 2.25", it would CONFORM to the rules: the specs. page is empty from my end. The "normal" Hunter Class stock, per Francis may be easier to make the 10.0 Lb. weight limit (?) - but that's another SWAG! RG

Yup, under 2 1/4 and over on all other min's as far as I can tell

Does your area enforce mag box? Follower? Spring? (I've seen sponge pads)

jackie schmidt
04-21-2018, 01:44 AM
It's probably way too heavy anyway.

alinwa
04-21-2018, 03:44 AM
It's probably way too heavy anyway.

The McMillan HBR stock on my HBR Rifle weighs 35.3oz bedded w/pillars and AL trigger guard AND a rubber recoil pad.....

The McMillan Anschutz is 44.6 with the parts stacked on the scale. so, YES I'm giving up over a half a pound. That Anschutz has a ton of gelcoat on it. And no buttplate.

On the flipside, I was at one time considering putting weight on the back of my HBR.......

David Halblom
04-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Yup, under 2 1/4 and over on all other min's as far as I can tell

Does your area enforce mag box? Follower? Spring? (I've seen sponge pads)

have to be a cutout in the stock, but there must be a cutout in the action. The critical aspects of the HBR are the 10# weight limit, 2.25 forend width, and 6X scope. The action cannot be glued in.

David

R.G. Robinett
04-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Yup, under 2 1/4 and over on all other min's as far as I can tell Does your area enforce mag box? Follower? Spring? (I've seen sponge pads) In the NBRSA rule book, the functional (feed and load from the) magazine died (was changed) a LONG time ago - the action need only have a slot wide and long enough to allow a loaded round, held parallel to the axis of the action/bore, to pass through - somethin' like that. The "follower" may not be attached to either the action, or, stock. The sponge deal has been the default method - probably for over 15 years now. ;-) Good shootin'! RG

MRL
04-21-2018, 01:59 PM
One thing to check, is the bottom of the stock textured like the Anchutz stocks were? Looking at the picture it appears to be, and it might be a project to smooth this area for use on the bench

Al Nyhus
04-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Question;

Does this stock comply with HBR rules?

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/competition-stocks-anschutz-silhouette/

I could imagine worse stocks for a HBR rifle.

But not many..... -Al

alinwa
04-23-2018, 01:35 AM
OK then...... I'll make a walkaround Creedmoor out of it!

:)

LOL

al

R.G. Robinett
04-24-2018, 12:03 AM
OK then...... I'll make a walkaround Creedmoor out of it! :) LOL al Or, stand on yer head, rest the barrel on the bag, and try to act left-handed . . . ;-) RG

Eddie Harren
04-28-2018, 09:14 AM
"I could imagine worse stocks for a HBR rifle.

But not many....." -Al

Good one Al.

Pete Wass
04-28-2018, 10:31 AM
I have had a number of HBR stocks over the years, two which were Kelbly Klubs. I liked them better than the McMillins pictured. The Edge is also good but I'd go with a Klub if I were to go again. No sweat making weight even with a thin pad.

Pete

Al Nyhus
04-29-2018, 01:00 PM
I have had a number of HBR stocks over the years, two which were Kelbly Klubs. I liked them better than the McMillins pictured. The Edge is also good but I'd go with a Klub if I were to go again. No sweat making weight even with a thin pad. Pete

Hi Pete. Kelbly's Hunter Class stock (the HCFB model) is a nice one, for sure. They also make this stock in a 3" version, the 'BRFB'. The 'Klub' model is actually a 3" forearm for LV/HV use.

Hope all is well with you. -Al :)

P.S. For me, the best Hunter Class stock is the original Speedy/McMillan pattern, now long out of production. Some years back, I spoke with Kelley McMillan about bringing it back.

Pete Wass
05-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Having a great time spending the Nursing Home's money slowly. Shooting less this year, me. Finally sheding some of the stuff I have been dragging around with me for years. Taking great pleasure watching the Oriole eating an orange just outside my window as I write this.

Life is OK.

Hope all is well with you too.

Pete