PDA

View Full Version : Ladder Test

Al Virgilio
01-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Can you perform the Ladder test with new brass or does it have to be fireformed? I am trying to find the best load for my custom 6 MM Remington. What are your experiences with this test? I am using 70 grain Sierra BTHP with Hod. H4350 starting 48.2 gr. working up to 50.2 in .2 gr. increments.
Thanks

retired
01-24-2018, 08:13 PM
i would shoot the ladder to fire form., and just note velocities.
then re shoot with input from the first set of velocities.

doghunter
01-25-2018, 02:43 AM
Here is a good article from down under that might provide a bit more info about the Ladder Test itself http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/the-ladder-test-for-rifle-load-development.

* doghunter *

GeneT
01-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Can you perform the Ladder test with new brass or does it have to be fireformed? I am trying to find the best load for my custom 6 MM Remington. What are your experiences with this test? I am using 70 grain Sierra BTHP with Hod. H4350 starting 48.2 gr. working up to 50.2 in .2 gr. increments.
Thanks

I use new brass, not even bothering to size it assuming they chamber. The whole point of the test is to get you close. I don't think the nodes move much (that's my theory anyway) and the ladder test is a course tool to figure out where you're going to expend effort playing with seating depth, etc.

GsT

chino69
01-27-2018, 10:05 AM
With regard to using a ladder test, what is the optimal distance? I use 300 yards which appears to work well but would be curious to know what others use.