PDA

View Full Version : Social Security.........this really pisses me off!!

jackie schmidt
12-29-2017, 10:47 AM
I had to go over to the Social Security Office this morning to modify some things concerning my Medicare.

Ok. There are about 100 people in there waiting to talk to a administrator about something.

I think I was the only person on there who was actually old enough to "draw Social Security".

What the heck is going on?

tcjones
12-29-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you know in your heart what the answer is, lazy people know how to get free stuff with out working.

tcjones
12-29-2017, 11:01 AM
In front of the Salvation Army in our small island town the bums have smokes and talk on cell phones.

jackie schmidt
12-29-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you know in your heart what the answer is, lazy people know how to get free stuff with out working.

I'm trying not to sound too politically incorrect, but I swear to God, out of all the people in this room, I'm the only "old guy".

Fred J
12-29-2017, 11:14 AM
If you don't know by now, The Increase in Medicare, took care of any increase in Social Security.

Hunter
12-29-2017, 11:18 AM
I had to go over to the Social Security Office this morning to modify some things concerning my Medicare.

Ok. There are about 100 people in there waiting to talk to a administrator about something.

I think I was the only person on there who was actually old enough to "draw Social Security".

Maybe some of them wanted to inquire about SSI or disability?

jackie schmidt
12-29-2017, 11:22 AM
If you don't know by now, The Increase in Medicare, took care of any increase in Social Security.

The reason I am here is to drop Plan B.

Back when I turned 65, they told me I should sign up for Plan B, even though I have great Health Insurance through my shop. The big kicker is because of my income bracket, I have to shell out an EXTRA $1200 a quarter. That's another $4800 a year on top of the regular monthly payment.

My insurance carrier has told me I am just throwing money away, as all I need is Plan A, (just to satisfy the government requirements), since I am not "retired" and have insurance.

tcjones
12-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Maybe some of them wanted to inquire about SSI or disability?
You try to find some good. Thoughts like that give me hope.

Wayne Shaw
12-29-2017, 02:40 PM
This is an entitlement society. Once an entitlement is given, it will never be reversed. There is so much more to Social Security than just retirement.

Steelhead1
12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Jacki, all I can say is for the last 10-12 years I have seen people that I know or are acquainted with lie their a$$ off to their doctors, so they can get SSDI! I just saw one of them Christmas eve and she is as healthy and mobile as anyone could be and she gets $1300.00 a month for disability! Now hereís the kicker, that disability is due to so much drug abuse when she was younger that she is not capable to work. The other one I know was with a buddy working on cutting down a tree, and drinking beer, fell out of the tree and ruptured a couple of discís in his back, he claims he canít work anymore, gets $1500.00 a month disability and works on the side helping install heating and ACC systems. The system is totally out of control, and there is not enough enforcement going on, couple that with Doctors that help game the system, and we have a perfect storm that is breaking the SSDI system!

Louis.J
12-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Same problem here in the past I could call and make an appointment and get right into seeing a clerk in the back. Last time I had to go I called to make an appointment and was informed they no longer make any. Thought I would get up and get there thirty minutes before it opened to beat the crowd. The line at door was an easy one hundred yards long mostly all young who appeared to be homeless, possibly without a job or just living poor. Needless to say it turned out to be well over a two hour ordeal with very few elderly there so it made me wonder what the heck the deal was as well. Buy the time I finally made it in the door, checked in and pulled my number out of the machine there was no where to sit. To top it off there are about ten help windows but not enough clerks on hand to sit behind each one of them. Thankfully I finaly made it to a clerk before they closed for lunch not knowing what might have happened then?

Pete Wass
12-29-2017, 04:46 PM
I worked in Town Government and was Town Clerk and Registrar of Voters, among other things. During an election I was supervising, I got talking with one of the ballot clerks. She had moved there from Massachusetts. She had been a Social Worker in Massachusetts. She told me her department had been given a group of Russian Immigrants to figure out how to get some income for. They went through the usual options and the State did not want to put them on welfare. One of the Social Workers suggested making up circumstances in their history that would qualify them for SSDI!

So,someone suggested since they came from Russia they were all brutalized to the point of having PTSD. They ran one of the immigrants through SS and sure enough, they qualified. All the others were also qualified, out of hand and all got SSDI. If anyone doesn't know the monthly for SSDI, check it out. Of course all the other stuff comes along with that.

Not one of them ever paid a dime in but they are all collecting. SO, it's an entitlement to we who paid from the first pay check we drew. Not only did we pay but our employers paid as well and now it's an entitlement to us. Not those who have never paid a dime but US! I'm glad I'm old.

Pete

retired
12-29-2017, 06:12 PM
i know no politics, but it is all politics.
ss started out well, then politicians got involved.
both parties, one more than the other, buy votes
by adding groups to eligible ss benefits.
people that never paid in.
ruined the system
if only WORKERS that paid into the system were
getting benefits, it would not be broke.

AndyTaber
12-29-2017, 07:34 PM
The Social Security ( the Federal Old Age, Survivors and Disability program) trust fund currently has a 2.5 trillion dollar reserve. It is owed upwards of 3.5 trillion dollars that was "borrowed" by the government. Most recently to fund the Iraq/Afghanistan war. Barring any future borrowing the fund has been increasing since 2014 and is expected to continue increasing at least through 2022 according to the fund administrators.

It is not going broke because they are paying out benefits, although it would be nice if they were to be more attentive to the fraud that is certainly occuring.

Anyway, that's what a google search revealed.

Ps. The administrative costs to administer this system is .7%. I am most certain that the continued push to privitaize the system would result in much greater costs to the system.

fx77
12-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Waited in line and seated for 3 hours, and my shock was how few people in line and waiting there spoke English

fx77
12-29-2017, 07:46 PM
My shock waiting in line and in the waiting area for 3 hours for govt. attention was that I noticed how few waiting with me actually spoke English.

GeneT
12-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm not old enough to draw SS yet, but the last time I was in the SS office it was to affirm my daughter's SSN since someone apparently used it to create a fraudulent account when she was six. At least a couple others that were there were also dealing with fraudulent use of their SSN's.

GsT

vtmarmot
12-29-2017, 10:29 PM
I have read many stories about how many deadbeats are getting on social security disability. This is hearsay, mind you, but I'm told that state employment counselors in Vermont and other states help able bodied people get on disability because their age and lack of skills mean they will likely not find another job. I also have it on good authority that many attorneys nationwide make a good living helping able bodied persons get on disability.

I am 3 1/2 years from turning seventy and drawing maximum social security. When I'm 70 1/2 I will have to start drawing the minimum on my 401K, which is fairly substantial. I will also be able then to start drawing my pension from my employer while still working there. Maybe, at that point, I will reduce my work week to 3 or 4 days per week. I have to work at least 24 hours per week to draw full insurance benefits. Why would I do this? Because I don't trust that social security, my pension, my 401k and my Medicare will be there when I need them. I want to accumulate as much cash as possible so I don't have to eat cat food some day.

Am I paranoid? You betcha. In today's political climate we have to rely on our own resources as much as possible. Fortunately, I don't have a bucket list, I don't much care for travel, most of my friends are at work, and I don't hate my job. A big night out for my wife and I is a burger at Chili's. Maybe, I'll make it to the end without having to sleep under a bridge.

bill larson
12-30-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm trying not to sound too politically incorrect, but I swear to God, out of all the people in this room, I'm the only "old guy".

Same way up north.......... Sad and Bad.
and I `ve heard this from other people our age........ for some reason...unknown to me....the urge to get out and go to work,earn some money to buy a car,house,gun has gone.... and there are certain races predominant......
bill larson

langenc
12-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Was there an armed guard protecting someone, workers maybe??

Last time I was there the guard supplied, would have lasted maybe 10 seconds during any altercation.

glp
12-30-2017, 10:37 AM

Back when I turned 65, they told me I should sign up for Plan B, even though I have great Health Insurance through my shop. The big kicker is because of my income bracket, I have to shell out an EXTRA $1200 a quarter. That's another $4800 a year on top of the regular monthly payment.

My insurance carrier has told me I am just throwing money away, as all I need is Plan A, (just to satisfy the government requirements), since I am not "retired" and have insurance.

all you have to do within a certain time limit of turning 65 is to sign up for part A. If you are still employed and on a private health plan, like me too, you do not need to pay for part B...until you fully retire and are no longer covered by private insurance.

On your other point of all the young'ins there..SS has been politically hijacked by the liberal democrats to the point of including lots of people who have never paid anything into the system (another voting block). That's where the reference to entitlement comes from. Hells bells, the only ones who are entitled to anything are the ones who have busted their gonads over a lifetime and paid 7.5% on top of the employers 7.5% to the system. Everyone else is a freeloader, period, and the politicians who have played loose with the system should hang their heads in shame...if they have any. --Greg

tcjones
12-30-2017, 10:48 AM
[......(. for some reason...unknown to me....the urge to get out and go to work,earn some money to buy a car,house,gun has gone....)
bill larson[/QUOTE]

Your statement reminds me of younger days with 3 kids and a wife. Our tv going south so you want better for the family, the kids and wife don't see you much on the week end until after work.
Same with my dad raising 12 children and no welfare , same with grandpa and 7 children.

JerrySharrett
12-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Social Security program. The most undermanaged..over fleeced Federal program....ever..period. Having recently(last 60 years or so). Starting with the Great Society of LBJ when he let Lady Bird Johnson usethe Highway Beautification Act of 1968 use this TAXPAYER FUNDED AND TAXPAYER FUNDED to buy shrubbery for the InterstateHighway System.

Later, Poverty Programs have been added as ďEntitlement ProgramsĒ.

TheSocial Security Trust Fund, with all the extra added is, amazingly, secure till about 2032!,!

That said, if the average Joe and Jane Voter donít get off their @$$ and vote and hold your ELECTEDS to their sworn oath......

retired
12-30-2017, 11:22 AM
to veterans
you no longer HAVE to get part b and pay for it.
if you are healthy and have va coverage, or other ins,
you are not longer REQUIRED to get part b.
keep your money.
oboma said the va was good medical coverage and
medicare not required.

sdean
12-30-2017, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=glp;803925]all you have to do within a certain time limit of turning 65 is to sign up for part A. If you are still employed and on a private health plan, like me too, you do not need to pay for part B...until you fully retire and are no longer covered by private i's where the reference to entitlement comes from. ]

Do you need to sign up for the drug plan. 65 this year and starting to try and figure things out

vtmarmot
12-30-2017, 01:07 PM
The deal with Part A is that you must sign up within a certain time after you turn 65 or it will cost you more down the road. You do not have to sign up for B, C, D or anything else until you no longer have employer-provided insurance. I suggest you get a login ID for SSA.gov. That will give you tons of information on Medicare and it will allow you to check on your Medicare and Social Security benefits and sign up for various plans. Once you do that, you will no longer receive anything in the mail from them. You will have to change your password if you have not logged in for six months or more. You will still get things in the mail from private insurers about Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans (Part C). I am told that these are good ways to go when you need them, but study the differences carefully because they are not all the same. My neighbor has the one from AARP and loves it. AARP is anti-gun however so I will probably choose another.

I intend to stay on my employers plan until they throw me out or wheel me out on a gurney. People who have meaningful work tend to stay healthier and live longer. We have a regular segment on Channel 3 WCAX TV up here called Super Seniors. They all seem to have something meaningful to do in life. You can play some of the segments on WCAX.com. My friend Gary Ely is one of them. He is 80, an ordained pastor at his local church and still manages Caplan's Army Store in St. Johnsbury VT full time. I used to shoot archery with him when I was a kid. You would never guess that he is 80. He has no plans to retire.

JDMock
12-30-2017, 03:53 PM

By the way, I just started drawing my full benefits this year at 70, as this is the year I topped out.

Jackie, I share your frustration. In my situation, I retired from teaching after 21 years, but went to work at various jobs to earn Soc. Sec. benefits. After working my required 40 quarters, I applied for soc.sec. benefits and was told that I could not draw what I should because of a"double dipping" law. This law evidently only applies to LA State workers. Instead of drawing $1000 a month, I ended up with $400. It seems that LA does every thing it can to punish its teachers.

retired
12-30-2017, 04:28 PM
i think you have this wrong.
part a is automatic no cost.
b use to cost more of you failed to signup right away, but not if you currently have medical coverage. that encludes va benefits.

The deal with Part A is that you must sign up within a certain time after you turn 65 or it will cost you more down the road. You do not have to sign up for B, C, D or anything else until you no longer have employer-provided insurance. I suggest you get a login ID for SSA.gov. That will give you tons of information on Medicare and it will allow you to check on your Medicare and Social Security benefits and sign up for various plans. Once you do that, you will no longer receive anything in the mail from them. You will have to change your password if you have not logged in for six months or more. You will still get things in the mail from private insurers about Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans (Part C). I am told that these are good ways to go when you need them, but study the differences carefully because they are not all the same. My neighbor has the one from AARP and loves it. AARP is anti-gun however so I will probably choose another.

I intend to stay on my employers plan until they throw me out or wheel me out on a gurney. People who have meaningful work tend to stay healthier and live longer. We have a regular segment on Channel 3 WCAX TV up here called Super Seniors. They all seem to have something meaningful to do in life. You can play some of the segments on WCAX.com. My friend Gary Ely is one of them. He is 80, an ordained pastor at his local church and still manages Caplan's Army Store in St. Johnsbury VT full time. I used to shoot archery with him when I was a kid. You would never guess that he is 80. He has no plans to retire.

vtmarmot
12-30-2017, 05:38 PM
I see that I was misled. I was told with certainty by a number of sources that I had to sign up for part A within my enrollment period or face a penalty when I finally did sign up for it, even though I have employer health insurance and likely will for some years on. Nobody, including my HR department, told me that Part A would be premium free when I finally started taking it if I had worked a sufficient time while paying the Medicare payroll tax. They also didn't tell me that signing up was optional if I planned to continue working, which they knew. A major consequence of my signing up at 65 was that I lost the ability to contribute to a health savings account, which I valued very much.

From the AARP web site: "Warning: Most people enroll in Part A during their initial enrollment period even if they delay Part B. But if you're still working and your employer coverage is a high-deductible plan with a health savings account, be careful. Under IRS rules, you cannot contribute to an HSA in any month that you are enrolled in Medicare (A or B). The same is true if you are receiving any Social Security benefits (retirement, disability or spousal), because then you will be automatically enrolled in Part A as soon as you become eligible for Medicare. In these situations, you can continue to draw on funds already in your account, but you can't add to them. However, if you donít apply for Social Security benefits, and donít enroll in any part of Medicare, you can continue contributing to your HSA at work."

Now I'm pissed off too. I wonder if I can un-enroll? This is all too freaking complicated.

jackie schmidt
12-30-2017, 08:32 PM
When you turn 65 and are enrolled in Medicare, it becomes your primary carrier. Any insurance you have besides that is classed as a supliment.

I have excellent coverage through my shop. The best. But my Insurance Company suggested I get Plan B. By suggesting, I mean they insisted.

This was all before I found out that Plan B would cost me an extra $4800 a year. We finally got our Shop's insurance Carrier to drop their insistence, which caused me to visit the SS office and get on just Plan A.

To James Mock. My Wife is in the same boat as you. Since she is in the Texas State Teacher's Retirement Fund, she only can draw a fraction of what she would have if she was not on the SS she earned before becoming a Teacher at 34. But it's a great retirement plan, she gets about $49,000 a year.

Of course, since we file a joint return, she is giving a lot back, as I am in a rather high tax bracket. But it's the same with the $3700 I draw each month from my Social Security. It gets thrown into the same pot with my personal income, and taxed at the same rate.

The Government gets you coming, and going.

dmort
12-31-2017, 12:46 AM

I also did not opt for Plan B. If you have insurance the cost is something people should look at.....

rkittine
12-31-2017, 06:59 AM
Since I am still working, I also have pretty high Plan B payments, but since my job doesn't provide health insurance, it was my least expensive option for decent coverage and I added Humana Health "F" Supplemental, also expensive, but there is no deductible with that plan and no co-pay. Recently has a pacemaker installed. Between the devise, the travel internet reader, the surgeon and the hospital, the bill was over $60,000. Zero additional cost to me. Before I turned 65 I did have regular health insurance, which was a little less, but did carry with it a deductible and a co-pay. Survived cancer in 2008/9 and only paid $3,600 out of pocket additional of the $375,000, medical costs that year.

Bob

Hunter
12-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Recently has a pacemaker installed. Between the devise, the travel internet reader, the surgeon and the hospital, the bill was over $60,000. Zero additional cost to me.
Out of curiosity, how much did M'care approve?

glp
12-31-2017, 11:00 AM
Jackie, I share your frustration. In my situation, I retired from teaching after 21 years, but went to work at various jobs to earn Soc. Sec. benefits. After working my required 40 quarters, I applied for soc.sec. benefits and was told that I could not draw what I should because of a"double dipping" law. This law evidently only applies to LA State workers. Instead of drawing $1000 a month, I ended up with $400. It seems that LA does every thing it can to punish its teachers.

don't consider yourself preyed upon by the double dipping laws....same goes for Maine State retirement covered workers who also earned enough quarters to qualify for SS. Same s--t here too.

glp
12-31-2017, 11:04 AM
When you turn 65 and are enrolled in Medicare, it becomes your primary carrier. Any insurance you have besides that is classed as a supliment.

I have excellent coverage through my shop. The best. But my Insurance Company suggested I get Plan B. By suggesting, I mean they insisted.

This was all before I found out that Plan B would cost me an extra $4800 a year. We finally got our Shop's insurance Carrier to drop their insistence, which caused me to visit the SS office and get on just Plan A.

To James Mock. My Wife is in the same boat as you. Since she is in the Texas State Teacher's Retirement Fund, she only can draw a fraction of what she would have if she was not on the SS she earned before becoming a Teacher at 34. But it's a great retirement plan, she gets about $49,000 a year.

Of course, since we file a joint return, she is giving a lot back, as I am in a rather high tax bracket. But it's the same with the $3700 I draw each month from my Social Security. It gets thrown into the same pot with my personal income, and taxed at the same rate.

I would ask your insurance company for a refund for misleading information, or worse trying to sleaze out of the primary responsibility to cover you for part B medical coverage. If they refuse contact the Texas Department of Insurance and file a complaint.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/complfrm.html

I think Paul is correct that you have to sign up for Part A

Greg

rkittine
12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
As is usually the case, Medicare provided their allowance for each item: Hospital Room and costs, Surgeon, Anestisiologist , Devise and Remote Reader. Of the total of just over $60,000, I believe they allowed $39,000 or I should say 80% of that number, but all the providers were medicare providers and accepted what they paid. The other 20% was paid by my "F" Plan Supplement. I do have to say that I am seeing the exact same group of doctors that I was seeing prior to switching to medicare. They all accepted it and there are here in Manhattan.

Bob

JerrySharrett
01-01-2018, 08:04 AM
Get thus through your head boys and girls. The traditional Public Law as was defined in 1937 defined is not an EARNED benefit, nor is it an ENTITLEMENT. If you worked as all should have you PAID into that system, I started paying into Social Security in 1955 when I worked as a surveyor at the Virginia Highway Department as a summer job while attending Virginia Tech. Later, as an employee of Eastman Kodak and for 39 more years at Kodak I PAID into that system. (Can't remember if I PAID Social Security in the years I was in the US Army.)

BUT, for those many years I PAID money into that system, good or bad as it was and is. Do I regret that little pittance they GIVE me each month ,,,,,,,,,,,,HELL NO!!!!!!!

Do I regret how the ELECTED officials, we elected, have stolen from that pool of money,,,,,HELL YES!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Brushingham
01-01-2018, 09:57 AM
My son rented a house to a eighteen year old girl who had a baby out of wedlock. New York state paid for every thing.Soon after the boy friend moves in. He started the whole thing. Now it's a state funded bordello.

rkittine
01-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Happy New Year

I too paid into Social Security since 1962 and starting in 1969, paid the max amount each year until just recently when I semi-retired. I do not feel guilty getting some of it back now even though I know it is actually money coming from those currently paying in that are younger than me.

Also paid the Medicare Supplement when it was initiated and do not feel bad about having Medicare, which I pay dearly for as since I am still working, I do not qualify for the entrance level amount per month. I currently pay over $360.00 month, plus $292 a month for my supplement, plus $17.00 for RX supplement plus $16.50 per month for Part D.

Still less then the private insurance I was buying which had a deductible and co-pay, both of which I no longer have, at least for the moment.

Bob

Nor Cal Mikie
01-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Do I regret how the ELECTED officials, we elected, have stolen from that pool of money,,,,,HELL YES!!!!!

The worst part?? It ain't never gunna change!!
The politicians hate the fact that there's $$ just sitting in a pool so, they take it out, leave an IOU, put it the general fund so they can piss it away. Then they have the balls to say "Social Security" is going to run out of money??

If the politicians had to have the same medical coverage as WE the "tax payers" DO, you know damn well it would be MUCH different story. I guess we should be glad we've got anything?? AND, Social Security IS NOT an entitlement. WE paid for it!!

vtmarmot
01-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Except the hard working honest folks that keep the world running. Lord knows, we get very little protection.

Don't get me started on politicians. Both parties and the independents have lied to us and stolen from us as long as I have been watching politics. I can think of very few that I believe in and admire. Now the Republicans have their vaunted tax cut, they admit they will come for our social security and medicare before too long, while the big recipients, the wall streeters and all, will continue to reap the benefits. Trump, Ryan and McConnell tout our cuts, but mine is trivial and it will sunset in a few years. Will my Medicare and Social Security still be there when I need them?

My father-in-law saved diligently and when he had a heart attack and ended up brain-damaged, he and my mother-in-law went into a Masonic home. Thank God for the Masons. He was a fifty year Shriner. He died five years later of lung cancer. My mother-in-law was able to keep her apartment there until she got dementia and had to go to their assisted living facility, where she remains. This costs $11,500 per month. We had to exhaust all her funds and then Medicare took over. Trump, Ryan and all would take this away. People like us don't have that kind of money, and we don't have the resources to take care of a demented elderly person in our home. We would have to quit our jobs and stop being productive members of society, then exhaust all our funds so we'd have nothing when we need it.

My wife and I have been frugal and we have no debts. We also have no children. What will happen to us if we become demented and can't care for ourselves? I hope we have enough faculties left to go outside and sit in a snow bank until it's over rather than become victims of God-knows-what.

We have been victims of the Anthem hack and the Equifax hack. We monitor our credit religiously. It is frozen at all three reporting agencies and we both maintain Identity-Guard to make sure we are not victimized by identity-theft. We constantly get calls from heavily accented people wanting to log onto our PC's so they can "fix" them. I abuse these people viciously and still they call. We check out all weirdness on our PC's. Microsoft and HP push more useless BS on us every day, degrading our system performance. I am a lifelong programmer and have the skills to fix these things. I feel so sorry for those that don't. I also feel sorry for those that are victimized by the phone scammers because they don't know any better. Maybe our government could find the source of some of these scammers and hackers and take them out. No trial, just shoot them on the spot when found.

Then there's the complexity of dealing with Social Security, Medicare, employer retirement misinformation. When will the good people get the protection they deserve. I'm not asking for a hand-out, just for the victimization to stop. It comes from everywhere.

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 12:23 PM

Happens almost every year. But your elected officials will not have to depend on SS like us little people.

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Jacki, all I can say is for the last 10-12 years I have seen people that I know or are acquainted with lie their a$$ off to their doctors, so they can get SSDI! I just saw one of them Christmas eve and she is as healthy and mobile as anyone could be and she gets $1300.00 a month for disability! Now hereís the kicker, that disability is due to so much drug abuse when she was younger that she is not capable to work. The other one I know was with a buddy working on cutting down a tree, and drinking beer, fell out of the tree and ruptured a couple of discís in his back, he claims he canít work anymore, gets $1500.00 a month disability and works on the side helping install heating and ACC systems. The system is totally out of control, and there is not enough enforcement going on, couple that with Doctors that help game the system, and we have a perfect storm that is breaking the SSDI system!

Yes the Leftist party know these people make good, dependable voters.

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 12:34 PM
I have read many stories about how many deadbeats are getting on social security disability. This is hearsay, mind you, but I'm told that state employment counselors in Vermont and other states help able bodied people get on disability because their age and lack of skills mean they will likely not find another job. I also have it on good authority that many attorneys nationwide make a good living helping able bodied persons get on disability.

I am 3 1/2 years from turning seventy and drawing maximum social security. When I'm 70 1/2 I will have to start drawing the minimum on my 401K, which is fairly substantial. I will also be able then to start drawing my pension from my employer while still working there. Maybe, at that point, I will reduce my work week to 3 or 4 days per week. I have to work at least 24 hours per week to draw full insurance benefits. Why would I do this? Because I don't trust that social security, my pension, my 401k and my Medicare will be there when I need them. I want to accumulate as much cash as possible so I don't have to eat cat food some day.

Am I paranoid? You betcha. In today's political climate we have to rely on our own resources as much as possible. Fortunately, I don't have a bucket list, I don't much care for travel, most of my friends are at work, and I don't hate my job. A big night out for my wife and I is a burger at Chili's. Maybe, I'll make it to the end without having to sleep under a bridge.

By some gold and silver in small denominations for little insurance.

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 12:38 PM
all you have to do within a certain time limit of turning 65 is to sign up for part A. If you are still employed and on a private health plan, like me too, you do not need to pay for part B...until you fully retire and are no longer covered by private insurance.

On your other point of all the young'ins there..SS has been politically hijacked by the liberal democrats to the point of including lots of people who have never paid anything into the system (another voting block). That's where the reference to entitlement comes from. Hells bells, the only ones who are entitled to anything are the ones who have busted their gonads over a lifetime and paid 7.5% on top of the employers 7.5% to the system. Everyone else is a freeloader, period, and the politicians who have played loose with the system should hang their heads in shame...if they have any. --Greg

The Democratic party disappeared years ago. They are Socialist/Fascist. They stole Bernie Sanders playbook years ago. Watch how they behave on the news........

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 12:42 PM

You should research what your public employees pension system is. Many draw SS also. I researches it here in IOWAIt's unbelievable ,what they receive in benefits. The taxpayer meaning you, pay both pensions. The employee pension is funded before you can provide for yourself and family.

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Social Security program. The most undermanaged..over fleeced Federal program....ever..period. Having recently(last 60 years or so). Starting with the Great Society of LBJ when he let Lady Bird Johnson usethe Highway Beautification Act of 1968 use this TAXPAYER FUNDED AND TAXPAYER FUNDED to buy shrubbery for the InterstateHighway System.

Later, Poverty Programs have been added as ďEntitlement ProgramsĒ.

TheSocial Security Trust Fund, with all the extra added is, amazingly, secure till about 2032!,!

That said, if the average Joe and Jane Voter donít get off their @$$ and vote and hold your ELECTEDS to their sworn oath......

1935 Jerry ,is when it all began.

JerrySharrett
01-01-2018, 01:42 PM
1935 Jerry ,is when it all began.

Ok, 1935. Today I emailed my US CONGRESSMAN AND MY TWO US SENATORS. I even phoned my US Congressman at home. What have you done? ( neither Tennessee US Senator is worth a pile of dog poop!!)

jackie schmidt
01-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Ok, 1935. Today I emailed my US CONGRESSMAN AND MY TWO US SENATORS. I even phoned my US Congressman at home. What have you done? ( neither Tennessee US Senator is worth a pile of dog poop!!)

My US Congressman is Sheila Jackson Lee. Do you really think she wants to hear from me?

Ajshooter
01-01-2018, 06:24 PM
My US Congressman is Sheila Jackson Lee. Do you really think she wants to hear from me?
May god bless you sir.

Kyle Schultz
01-01-2018, 07:18 PM
My US Congressman is Sheila Jackson Lee. Do you really think she wants to hear from me?Only if you have 1st Class airline seat you want to share.

redrockranger
01-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Jerry have you ever heard of them ? Some on here might have parent in this special class.

JerrySharrett
01-02-2018, 06:10 AM

Were she my elected US Rep, I would be in her office or have contact with her office weekly.

Houston, center of the Space Age.

Houston, hurricane washed out.

Houston can do better.

sdean
01-02-2018, 09:26 AM
You are a serious dreamer if you think anything is going to get better. Just a steady decline until it all blows up.

brickeyee
01-03-2018, 05:16 PM
i know no politics, but it is all politics.
ss started out well, then politicians got involved.
both parties, one more than the other, buy votes
by adding groups to eligible ss benefits.
people that never paid in.
ruined the system
if only WORKERS that paid into the system were
getting benefits, it would not be broke.

Democrats: Buying votes with the public treasury since FDR.

Bo22
01-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Dated a girl whose father was murdered. Mother got SS, as did all the siblings after fathers death.
Co-worker said his sister in law got SS disability, then got her children on SS.
People from other countries get SS also. AND HAVE NEVER PAID A CENT IN TAXES. Yes, this pisses me off.

Bob Brushingham
01-17-2018, 10:04 AM
If they had enforced the immigration laws there would be no dreamers and we wouldn't have to press 1 for English.
I am pissed off to.
Bob

pipeline60
01-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Democrats: Buying votes with the public treasury since FDR.

Right on the money

pablo
01-17-2018, 10:59 AM

I suggest you email her sorry, you know what, every day.

JerrySharrett
01-18-2018, 05:34 AM
If they had enforced the immigration laws there would be no dreamers and we wouldn't have to press 1 for English.
I am pissed off to.
Bob

When I call to order something and the voice prompt is "Press 1 for English" I hang up.

chino69
01-27-2018, 02:45 PM

Jackie,
I've had good luck just calling the medicare number on your card.

brickeyee
01-27-2018, 03:48 PM

They also handle survivors, SSDI (AKA 'disability'), etc.

I had a problem with medicare vs. existing insurance and who was "primary."

Over $80,000 for a triple bypass kept bouncing claims back and forth.

The 800 number on the Medicare card had it fixed in about ten minutes.

chino69
01-27-2018, 09:46 PM

I can't believe they suggested you sign up for Part B while still working.

jackie schmidt
01-28-2018, 11:36 AM
I can't believe they suggested you sign up for Part B while still working.

You get caught between two entities.

My insurance carrier through my shop has us over a barrel. We have very good insurance, which we also furnish for our employees. They want to collect as much in premiums as possible, and pay out as little as possible. Myself and my older brother are the only two who are in the Medicare program.

They "suggested" I sign up for Plan B, which would limit their liabilities. What they failed to realize is how much more I would be forced to pay because of my income. Social Security flat out told me that if I did not sign up for plan B, I would be penalized at a future date..

By that "suggestion", I mean they would just up my rates, making plan B. More attractive offer.

I have written a letter to the Region SS office asking i for I could recoup the extra money I was forced to pay in, ( and never used), for five years.

I'm pretty sure they will tell me "no way". But at least they will know what I think of them..

antelopedundee
01-28-2018, 12:02 PM

I thought that when you turn 65 that you only needed to register for Medicare, but not actually enroll and receive benefits until a later date of your choosing. It would certainly be to the SSA's benefit to allow that. I have a cousin who gets his medical needs me through the VA and the VA isn't considered to be adequate "other" coverage. Go figure.

antelopedundee
01-28-2018, 12:04 PM
You get caught between two entities.

My insurance carrier through my shop has us over a barrel. We have very good insurance, which we also furnish for our employees. They want to collect as much in premiums as possible, and pay out as little as possible. Myself and my older brother are the only two who are in the Medicare program.

They "suggested" I sign up for Plan B, which would limit their liabilities. What they failed to realize is how much more I would be forced to pay because of my income. Social Security flat out told me that if I did not sign up for plan B, I would be penalized at a future date..

By that "suggestion", I mean they would just up my rates, making plan B. More attractive offer.

I have written a letter to the Region SS office asking i for I could recoup the extra money I was forced to pay in, ( and never used), for five years.

I'm pretty sure they will tell me "no way". But at least they will know what I think of them..

When my MIL passed away before being entitled to receive her last payment they clawed it back in jig time.

Pete Wass
01-29-2018, 12:07 PM
When my MIL passed away before being entitled to receive her last payment they clawed it back in jig time.

If I remember correctly, I received my first check one month after I enrolled ( in SS ). I also remember having to send my mother's last SS check amount back to them. What happened to the first month's check?

The other thing that bugs me is Our Representatives calling SS and Medicare an Entitlement! We, me and my employers, payed faithfully and dearly all those years. If the money had been handled by good money managers, there would be plenty and a more robust program. I have read that the Canada Pension is great and actually managed well. Perhaps we can learn something there???

It's difficult to feel good about anything our government does simply because of the slimy folks we elect to run things for us.

Pete

brickeyee
01-29-2018, 04:18 PM
If the money had been handled by good money managers, there would be plenty and a more robust program.

It is a "pay as you go scheme".

The money YOU (and I) paid is used to pay PRESENT beneficiaries for all those years.

There is no ' money' to "manage."
It is NOT 'invested' in anything except special Treasury Bonds issued to SS when a surplus is received.
SS can redeem the bonds when benefits are above income (from the present people working and paying).

The government having already spent the money represented by the bonds must pull from General Revenue (read that as income and other taxes).

The management consists of taking in money and immediately sending it out to pay present benefits.

There is no "account" holding money.
There is no "lock box" holding money.

Any private company that did this would be prosecuted for operating a 'pyramid scheme.'

New 'investor' funds are used to pay of older debts.

antelopedundee
01-30-2018, 01:36 PM
If I remember correctly, I received my first check one month after I enrolled ( in SS ). I also remember having to send my mother's last SS check amount back to them. What happened to the first month's check?

The other thing that bugs me is Our Representatives calling SS and Medicare an Entitlement! We, me and my employers, payed faithfully and dearly all those years. If the money had been handled by good money managers, there would be plenty and a more robust program. I have read that the Canada Pension is great and actually managed well. Perhaps we can learn something there???

It's difficult to feel good about anything our government does simply because of the slimy folks we elect to run things for us.

Pete

They are a month behind in their payment system.

Agree on the entitlement comments. Most people who collect have paid in. Most of the ones who collect off of someone else's contributions are freeloaders. Time to let Paul Ryan know that he is full of chit.

fx77
02-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Allow me to share this Mcare SS experience
When I was of age to apply for Mcare I tried online multiple times with no success.
I went to the SS office in a horrible neighborhood, took a number and sat for 2 hours.
I was then ushered in to a room with a clerk. I had my passport,, DL, original SS card,and their records indicated my birthdate was incorrect.
Since I was born on July 4 (as was my mother, mother in law, and grandmother) I was pretty sure of my birthdate.
Birth date was 7/4 not 4/7 as their records indicated.
Then they explained that when the wonderfully efficient govt. switched over to computers someone must/possiblyh have made a transposition error which was my responsibility to correct. I had to mail off 70 $ for certified birth certificate with formal seal to the town where I was born in another state, and for proof of ID I had to .....ready??? send my DL copy. 2 Mo later had the information.
Took it again to the office sat half a day, and they said they would let me know.
Didn't hear for about 8 weeks and then after two certified letters RRR and a threat to involve my useless congressman...I had my Mcare card...

What really burned me...the entire time I sat in the waiting room at the SS office...no one around me spoke English only Spanish...so why where they there???

redrockranger
02-04-2018, 10:24 AM
It is a "pay as you go scheme".

The money YOU (and I) paid is used to pay PRESENT beneficiaries for all those years.

There is no ' money' to "manage."
It is NOT 'invested' in anything except special Treasury Bonds issued to SS when a surplus is received.
SS can redeem the bonds when benefits are above income (from the present people working and paying).

The government having already spent the money represented by the bonds must pull from General Revenue (read that as income and other taxes).

The management consists of taking in money and immediately sending it out to pay present benefits.

There is no "account" holding money.
There is no "lock box" holding money.

Any private company that did this would be prosecuted for operating a 'pyramid scheme.'

New 'investor' funds are used to pay of older debts.

I thought they claim the money we sent in was in a Trust Fund. Yes......No ? Tongue in cheek.

glp
02-04-2018, 12:51 PM
I thought they claim the money we sent in was in a Trust Fund. Yes......No ? Tongue in cheek.

One where you know its spent as fast as it comes in on whatever our learned representatives desire, and replaced with "trust us" to make good on future payments...somehow. It sort of has to be since from the beginning benefits were paid from inflows, Roosevelt never funded it up front for the then benefits to be paid so inflows could go to a true pension system. The government will not allow private corporations to run a pension like they do SS. --Greg

brickeyee
02-04-2018, 01:52 PM

As noted above not from the very start.

Jut as with any pyramid scheme you eventually run out of 'investors' to pay off the previous ones.

As it grows it becomes a mathematical certainty it must fail since their are never an infinite number of participants.

fx77
02-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Was not the Trust Fund raided by LBJ for the Great Society Program and then left with a buncha' IOU's?

redrockranger
02-05-2018, 10:04 AM
One where you know its spent as fast as it comes in on whatever our learned representatives desire, and replaced with "trust us" to make good on future payments...somehow. It sort of has to be since from the beginning benefits were paid from inflows, Roosevelt never funded it up front for the then benefits to be paid so inflows could go to a true pension system. The government will not allow private corporations to run a pension like they do SS. --Greg

Many private corporations have 401 K's. The state of IOWA has a 401 K renamed RIC. Retirement Income Club. It's a dandy.

brickeyee
02-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Many private corporations have 401 K's. The state of IOWA has a 401 K renamed RIC. Retirement Income Club. It's a dandy.

401Ks do not opera like SS at all.

They really are separate accounts in your name containing your money.
Some governments make generous contributions to them for their employees though.

JerrySharrett
02-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Was not the Trust Fund raided by LBJ for the Great Society Program and then left with a buncha' IOU's?

The Highway Beautification Act of 1968, produced by Mrs LBJ (Ladybird Johnson), was the first SS Trust Fund raid that carried any fanfare by our SUBVERSIVE Anti-American news "media"!!

That Fake News conglomerate is now off being the savior of ILLEGALS, and blasting working Americans.

The SS Trust Fund now holds some 3 TRILLION in IOU's. But we got a $12 raise for 2018.....Nancy POLLUSKI's crumbs I guess.

blades
02-06-2018, 09:14 AM
in answer to your lbj question , yes, and it has been sucked on ever since. i just got a statement that says i recieved x amount- i must have lost the ability to add subtract and multiply- as their # is apx 1.5 what my bank account shows even adding back in what they took out for what ever. This not going to be fun. and of course there was that certain highly placed individual that said it would never by taxed.

redrockranger
02-06-2018, 10:17 AM
401Ks do not opera like SS at all.

They really are separate accounts in your name containing your money.
Some governments make generous contributions to them for their employees though.

I suggest you read the original Social Security Act of 1935. It provided for a pension payment to state employees. It also excluded others that were covered the same way as state government employees . Keep in mind a private business has to make a profit and compete. A government only has to raise the tax.I'll bet you have know idea how much of your taxes you pay for Public Pensions in your state. If you find out please post it. IOWA garnishes over 1 billion $$$$$$$ a year for Iowa Public Empolyees Retirement System {IPERS} The budget for the state is approximately 7 billion $$$$ .

Your Social Security will show your contributions by year, employer is name excluded.
Do you work a a taxpayer funded employer ?

You might also want to read the tax and spend clause, general welfare clause and involuntary servitude of the U S Constitution.

Many politicians think the General Welfare clause covers anything. If it did ,we wouldn't need the Constitution /Bill of Rights.