PDA

View Full Version : CZ 452 or CZ 455?

27-T
07-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Gentlemen- I'm looking to buy a CZ rifle for fun match's and paper punching at 50 yds. and 100 yds. I've been looking at a CZ 452 American and a CZ 455 Varmint heavy barrel. I plan on scoping the rifle but thats about it, other than possibly a trigger job or replacement trigger in the 2 oz. to 10 oz. range. Now, I've heard that the 455 needs to have the bolt worked on to be competitive. Is that true? What is involved? I haven't heard anything about the 452 American.

What I'm looking for is some learned advice on choosing the correct rifle for my purposes.

If you can offer any information for me I would greatly appreciate that information. I will not be hunting with this rifle, but only paper punching target shooting. Since I am also a centerfire benchrest shooter with a 6mm PPC benchrest rifle with all the goodies, I'd like to pick a .22 rimfire rifle with the 50 yd. accuracy potential that I have become accustomed to with the 100 and 200 yd. PPC.

Again, if you can offer any suggestions, I am most interested in your advice.

Thanks for your help,

27-T

earlm
07-22-2016, 12:43 PM
I would look at a annie, cooper first. If cost was not part of consideration. I've owned all three. Part of the choice would be the rules.

TangoTwo
07-23-2016, 08:25 AM
I own a 452 and it is a very nice rifle. While it is accurate, it is not benchrest accurate. I think you may be disappointed if that's what you're looking for. I would lean to the Annie as has been suggested.

Ken

27-T
07-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your input.

Are there any particular Anschutz models that you would recommend, again, based on my intended use? Here again, I am new to .22 rimfire target shooting and the various Anschutz models. I will be shooting off of a front target rest, with sand bag, and a rear sand bag, and a scope.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My e-mail is jpmlholian@aol.com if that is needed by you.

27-T
Jim

ArtS
07-23-2016, 11:03 AM
I don't own a 452, but do know several who shoot and like them. I have a 455 which I bought as an experiment in "cheap" benchrest. I bought the cheapest 455 model available, added an off the shelf Lilja prefit barrel and a semi-inlet stock from Don Stith. bare, it wasn't anything to write home about, but with a factory adjustable sear and a tuner, it would really shoot (0.2" at 50). Won several local club matches with it, but the trigger was never what I was looking for. The fact is that even with a lot of work the CZ trigger was never a target trigger. The big reason the 452 was so popular had a lot to do with the set trigger available on the 453. This has been removed from the market. I believe there is a new one available, but it's not much.

A new day has dawned, so to speak, with the CZ Fly trigger. It is $120 or so, and the equal of a lot of benchrest triggers. I got one and installed it and found it was easy to get a good pull in the 2 oz range. Maybe the best buy in shooting sports.

For the money and what you want to do, a 455 Varmint, bedded, and with a Fly trigger could get you well started for a very reasonable price. Add a Lilja barrel and a tuner if you want to go farther, and a new stock if you want to get serious.

I see that as a good way to enter cheaply and pay to advance, so to speak. The thing is that this will never be a winner in a serious BR match. I you feel like that is where you want to go after trying it, your best bet would be to bail early and buy a good used ARA or IR 50/50 gun. You will eventually be dollars ahead and more competitive. However, as a starter or club gun the CZ may be a good choice.

I own several Annie's. My experience is that they pretty much shoot as well as you pay for. I own a couple of 1416's(one with the target 2 stage)which shoot OK but not great. I have experience with a couple of 64 MPR's, having helped tune them. They shoot well but cannot win club matches against 54s. My 54s shoot really well, but at the cost of a used ARA gun. However, a good used 54 may be the best entry option there is. I have owned more Kimbers over the years than I care to admit. I don't own any Kimbers and will never own any more. Nuf said.

If you are an experienced bench shooter, your best bet may well be a used target rifle of some sort. I own several old Anschutz 54, none of which I paid $1000 for, which have one of the best triggers in the world and will shoot less than 0.25" at 50yds with no tuner. I have bought very accurate ones for little money if the stock is mismatched or rough. In that case, you can modify and refinish the stock into a more BR compliant stock and not feel bad about it.

27-T
07-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Art - Thanks for the very good input and your perspective on different avenues to pursue. You mentioned a "fly trigger". You got me on that one. What are they, where are they, a nd so on.

In reading your very good reply, I guess you would have to weigh the differences on which way to go. The costs sound like they may just end up near equal. Then, I guess one has to ask how important .050" might be, if they wind up being that close to each other.

Again, I appreciate your thoughtful input very much. I would like to know, just as a point of information, what that fly trigger business is. I'm certainly old but not too old to learn something new.

Thanks again,

27-T
Jim

earlm
07-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Eric Brooks made a trigger kit few years ago that I used, kit consisted of springs and shims for trigger
which worked well............Don't know if an after market trigger ever became available. Might check Rimfire Central .