PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List

Hunter
07-21-2015, 03:17 PM
If money, time and hassle were not a factor, what would be the top two things on your "bucket list"?

For me, I think visiting Saipan and Tinian would be # 1; driving to and sight-seeing around Alaska would be # 2.

sdean
07-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Sofia Vergara. Thats two for one.

Zebra13
07-21-2015, 06:34 PM
My Bucket List

1. Own and fly a P-51D Mustang.

2. Own and fly a P-51D Mustang.

Justin

scott mims
07-21-2015, 06:39 PM
1)A cottage on the beach
2)and about 1000 acres to build the best range for all of us to have the best match 4 or 5 times a year.

........ Sorry........... And a good lookin' woman ;)
......... So maybe that takes out 1 and 2 😀

Hippy
07-21-2015, 06:44 PM
200 Yard covered/indoor range

20 Acres with Cabin fenced area with Plenty of Rabbits to keep the Dogs Happy

Jim

mks
07-21-2015, 10:14 PM
World peace and diverse, sustainable ecosystems.

Uh, what was the question, again???;)

Wilbur
07-22-2015, 02:19 AM
What's a P-51D Mustang in perfect condition cost?

glp
07-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Strange you ask, Wilbur: I saw one the other day at St. Clair, Michigan airport for sale. The guy will take $4,000,000.00 for it and some parts. It looks perfect to me.
Our neighbor has an ultralight that he keeps at that airport and we went up in the ultralight that evening. My heart was in the Mustang.

Tom Delaney, from Atlanta, comes on here from time to time as Bro. D and he takes world class photos. He had a number of beauties of planes, including P-51s on these very pages. You might do a search here for him and check out his work.

P-52s were available after WWII and Korea for about $50,000. Just inflation from about 1954 to today on 50K would make that worth about 444K.

glp
07-22-2015, 09:32 AM
My Bucket List

1. Own and fly a P-51D Mustang.

2. Own and fly a P-51D Mustang.

Justin

a Spitfire, Hellcat and a Corsair. Perhaps a P-38 also. Maybe more! There is a repro Fokker Tri Wing at the Owls Head Transportation Museum here in Maine. I used to watch one of the Cianchette's fly it in mock aerial flights against other WW I craft they have. That Fokker could do the most astounding things in the air...almost turn on a dime. Was fascinating to watch.

r44astro
07-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Being able to vote for a true conservative for president. Legalize the Constitution.

HFV
07-22-2015, 12:13 PM
To be president and do the things Donald Trump says he'll do.
2. Have Wilbur win a couple of million in Las Vegas ('cause I know he'll let me have a little of it.

HFV

Zebra13
07-22-2015, 12:14 PM
What's a P-51D Mustang in perfect condition cost?

Wilbur,

This is about the average price for a nice one.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/NORTH-AMERICAN-P-51-MUSTANG/NORTH-AMERICAN-P-51-MUSTANG/1385993.htm

I've been up in a Mustang...absolutely incredible machine. If I could go up in a Corsair and a P-38 Lightning, my life would be complete.

After the arrival of the jet fighter, Mustangs were sold for $750 and/or given to smaller countries.

The only more beautiful sound than that of a passing Mustang is the sound of Michael Moore being attacked by wolves...

Justin

glynn angle
07-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Wilbur,

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/NORTH-AMERICAN-P-51-MUSTANG/NORTH-AMERICAN-P-51-MUSTANG/1385993.htm

I've been up in a Mustang...absolutely incredible machine. If I could go up in a Corsair and a P-38 Lightning, my life would be complete.

After the arrival of the jet fighter, Mustangs were sold for $750 and/or given to smaller countries.

The only more beautiful sound than that of a passing Mustang is the sound of Michael Moore being attacked by wolves...

Justin

I don't think a self respecting Wolf would touch that Skunk !

Lee Martin
07-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Something like this....

http://www.rjracecars.com/images/13.jpg

Maybe an Sonny's 903 CID on 4-stages. It would probably be just enough to rid me of the drag racing bug.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

AMMASHOOTA
07-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Wilbur,

Justin

What a nasty thing to do to wolves...

CharlieH
07-22-2015, 09:51 PM
What a nasty thing to do to wolves...

You mean getting the taste out of their mouths?

classcat
07-22-2015, 10:43 PM
what's a p-51d mustang in perfect condition cost?

big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dusty Stevens
07-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Oh that big merlin engine sounds so good!

Bill Gammon
07-23-2015, 08:05 AM
The Rolls Royce engine sounds better, EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Maisto
07-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Oh that big merlin engine sounds so good!

A few years ago, I'm sitting on the rocks fishing on lake Michigan, and I hear this sound coming. I had not yet seen the aircraft but knew it could not be mistaken for anything else, and suddenly, about several hundred feet off the waters surface comes a '51-!. He must have had clearance to be that low. It was a sound and sight to be remembered.

Dusty Stevens
07-23-2015, 10:25 AM
The Rolls Royce engine sounds better, EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The merlin is a rolls royce eh?

Zebra13
07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
The merlin is a rolls royce eh?

Packard made the Merlin also.

The British Mosquito had TWO Merlins. Imagine the sound that thing makes going over your head. Be still my beating heart...

The most beautiful lady of them all, the Spitfire, also had the Merlin engine for a spell.

A photo I took the other day at a private get together I am fortunate enough to get invited to. I've held this picture up with one hand a few times...

There is a dollar or two sitting on this tarmac.

Justin

Chism G
07-23-2015, 12:32 PM
If riding in a P-51 is on your Bucket list, Just come on down to Dallas,Tx. A tour of the Metroplex in a P-51 will cost you $1,995.00.

I could fly round trip to Japan Cheaper.

Click on Warbirds Flight in Link

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/index.php/#

Glenn

jackie schmidt
07-23-2015, 12:33 PM
A few years ago, I'm sitting on the rocks fishing on lake Michigan, and I hear this sound coming. I had not yet seen the aircraft but knew it could not be mistaken for anything else, and suddenly, about several hundred feet off the waters surface comes a '51-!. He must have had clearance to be that low. It was a sound and sight to be remembered.

Personally, I like the sound of the big R-2800 Radials found in the P-47, Hellcat, Corsair, Bearcat, etc.

But hey, the sound of that big Prop biting the air sounds great regardless of what is spinning it.

As for my Bucket List, I have already done a LOT of things throughout my life, but beconing back to my boat racing days, I would love to take a fast lap in an Unlimited Hydroplane. And live to talk about it.

Bill Gammon
07-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Okay.
Could I have a Supertest unlimited with the Rolls Royce in it?
What do you think, Bill? EH???????
Oh what a race on the Bay Of Quinte at Picton, ON

You will crap when you find out who cut and installed the tail fin for Miss Supertest, EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH WELL modesty always precedes me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Gammon
07-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Bob Haywood, who was killed in 1961 I believe, lived about 35 miles from me, and had he been wearing a Helms device, I think that is how they spell it, he might be alive today. The boat was on the back stretch when it flipped on it's top and then flipped right side up and coasted to a stop. The water hit his neck and the rest is history. I use to drive right by the Supertest building twice a day for years. Did I ever meet Jim Thompson? yes, but would not know him if he stood in front of me. The tail section that I built was a mahogany hollow door cut and then glued down the cut, I was a apprenticeship wood working machinist at the time and looking back now me thinks it was a job to get me out of their hair. But to get back to the oringinal thread, driving that boat would be #1 on my bucket list. #2 would have been to continue drag racing in 1973 in the rear engine 220" chassis that I designed, but just flat out ran out of money. #3 learning how to fly. By the way, Wells Foundry did a bit of work on that boat and George Wells, the son of the Brian Wells I think, was a benchrest shooter before he passed away. See the connection? And Lee, you will never get rid of the bug.

bill larson
07-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Bob Haywood, who was killed in 1961 I believe, lived about 35 miles from me, and had he been wearing a Helms device, I think that is how they spell it, he might be alive today. The boat was on the back stretch when it flipped on it's top and then flipped right side up and coasted to a stop. The water hit his neck and the rest is history. I use to drive right by the Supertest building twice a day for years. Did I ever meet Jim Thompson? yes, but would not know him if he stood in front of me. The tail section that I built was a mahogany hollow door cut and then glued down the cut, I was a apprenticeship wood working machinist at the time and looking back now me thinks it was a job to get me out of their hair. But to get back to the oringinal thread, driving that boat would be #1 on my bucket list. #2 would have been to continue drag racing in 1973 in the rear engine 220" chassis that I designed, but just flat out ran out of money. #3 learning how to fly. By the way, Wells Foundry did a bit of work on that boat and George Wells, the son of the Brian Wells I think, was a benchrest shooter before he passed away. See the connection? And Lee, you will never get rid of the bug.

Boy.these history lessons are the best I`ve read in a long time........ keep it up..... THANK YOU.......
bill larson

Wilbur
07-23-2015, 07:02 PM
I suppose I'll go with the same things HFV wrote - sounds good to me....

jackie schmidt
07-23-2015, 10:15 PM
It was 1961. And I was there. At that time Supertest had a Rolls Royce Griffon engine, with about twice the displacement of the Merlin.
A little Harmsworth Trophy history. The trophy went to the internal combustion engine powered boat that won two of three races of 45 miles length. When Canada and Britain dominated they raced Rolls Griffon Engines. Due to their smaller Allison engines, the U.S. had to run lighter boats and didn't have the power to pull it off. The U.S. found a loophole because portions of the Rolls engines were designed in the U.S. They won the court battle and built Miss U.S. To continue to compete after their win, they changed the course from three 5 mile laps to five 3 mile laps and tighter turns and put all the other U.S. Boats back into the race. Supertest II was built to better compete on the shorter courses. When Supertest won and brought the trophy back to Canada and as champions, they changed back to the three 5 mile lap format. Canada continued to dominate the Harmsworth races with the new Supertest III. The dawn of the turbine engines spelled the end of internal reciprocating engines and the roar of the huge airplane engines. It just ain't the same now.

Francis, the latest incarnation of the Unlimited Hydro powered by the Turbines might not have that deep growl of the piston engine boats, but they sure are FAST.!!!

I test drove a 7 liter Division 1 hydro back in my last year of racing, (1979). A Doctor in Houston had it, and was looking for a driver. He knew I was walking away from the SS, SK, and K-Boat scene, and wanted to see if I was interested. After that test drive, (it hit about 150 on the straight aways), I said no. I could see my self dying in that thing.

JerrySharrett
07-24-2015, 07:31 AM
My bucket list wound be to take the Southeast Region back to the range availability of 1995. We have lost over 10 ranges since then.

JerrySharrett
07-24-2015, 12:24 PM
I do agree with you Jackie on fast.

I also agree with Mr. Sharrett.

My analyst told me this morning I should agree more with people and I said, "Yes Dear".

See. Jan knows best!!

Hunter
07-24-2015, 12:52 PM
My bucket list wound be to take the Southeast Region back to the range availability of 1995. We have lost over 10 ranges since then.

Jerry, some questions, and I assume you're referring to ranges that no longer have registered matches:

1. Which ones have been "lost"? (I guess you'd include B'ham, Manatee, and Rachel's Glen.)
2. Other than Rachel's Glen, why do you think those ranges have quit having shoots and why do you think other ranges haven't filled the void?
3. Which ranges have been added since 1995? (Would Dublin be one? Would Eastanolle be one?)
4. Why do you think "club" matches are not as well attended as "registered" matches?

My thoughts on # 4 -- Maybe it's like why UT attracts 100K+ fans and UTC only attracts a small fraction of that. I guess most folks don't want to drive a long way just to beat folks like me; I guess they want to anticipate shooting against some of the best.

Dusty Stevens
07-24-2015, 02:12 PM
How many people attend those club matches? People look at the schedules for registered matches, plan their season, then budget for it these days. If its registered and you have facilities for campers they will come. Gotta be a 2 day 2 gun or 4 gun to justify a trip too.

Dusty Stevens
07-24-2015, 07:50 PM
People plan their shooting season well in advance. They mostly look in the precision rifleman mag to see where they can make it to and budget accordingly.

jackie schmidt
07-24-2015, 11:35 PM
We generally have as many shooters, if not more, at Club Matches and one day VFS Matches than we do Registered Group Matches.

Most Club Matches are Score. That way you don't have to have moving backers, which is a major reason many ranges won't even consider a Group Match. They also have relaxed equipment rules to appeal to a larger group of shooters.
For instace, at our club Matches at Tomball, our top class is just called "Benchrest Class". The rules......"any legal Firearm". It is usually won by somebody shooting a 30 cal NBRSA VFS Rifle.

We also have a Two Day Registered NBRSA Group Match, and a Two Day Registered VFS Match, which is really two complete separate Matches.

I have been shooting Benchrest for 20+ years, and I now seem enjoy the one day matches more than the two day, mainly because it is so difficult to leave work for the travel time and the two days of shooting. It was easier when I was younger.

Wilbur
07-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Why would you attend a club match if there were registered matches available?

jackie schmidt
07-25-2015, 12:48 AM
For me at this moment in time it is a simple fact of work. Saturday is just another work day.

But I attended a one day Registered VFS match last week end, and will be going to Denton for a Registered VFS match this Sunday. Denton is a 5 hour drive. I can leave after work tomorrow, arrive in time to get s good nights sleep, shoot Sunday, and be back in Houston by 9 that night. Back to work Monday.

Since I have enough 30BR cases to shoot a Grand Agg, I can even pre-load during the week while watching TV.

I know Group Shooting is built around the 2-Gun Format, but that means two days. I used to make 8 to 10 Registered a Group Matches a year. With the way our business has evolved, that just isn't possible at this time.

JerrySharrett
07-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Thinking on what Jackie said, have we gotten to complicated, too time demanding and too expensive on the registered side of the house?

What are we trying to accomplish? The stated goals of the IBS and NBRSA is "to improve rifle accuracy". And over the years we have done that The recent Nationals on both groups mid-teen aggs may only get you 5th place.

These club matches are more family friendly for younger shooters trying to raise a family and, I think, provide an input feed to the registered shoot crowd. So IMO it is good we have both. A bigger problem with registered group shooting is the moving backer demand. It takes a lot of effort to build, install and maintain this complicated system.

Jackie, preloading while watching TV? Watching what is on TV today is why I shoot, to get another way to entertain myself since I can't really see well enough anymore to read books I used to like Jack Higgins, Robert Ludlum and those guys. I got a new Jack Higgins book for my birthday and cab only stay focused on the lines for 2-3 pages at a time.

Hunter
07-25-2015, 08:09 AM
We generally have as many shooters, if not more, at Club Matches and one day VFS Matches than we do Registered Group Matches.

Most Club Matches are Score....It is usually won by somebody shooting a 30 cal NBRSA VFS Rifle.

I now seem enjoy the one day matches more than the two day, mainly because it is so difficult to leave work for the travel time and the two days of shooting. It was easier when I was younger.

I'm impressed with the turn-out y'all have for those group matches.

Recently, we've been shooting the UBR targets at the score matches at River Bend; eliminates the 30 cal advantage.

I enjoy the one day local matches also; two days of shooting plus travel is a bit much to do very often.

Time, money, hassle. But, if I were a "top gun," the desire to shoot against other such shooters might trump the time, money, hassle factor.

Steelhead1
07-25-2015, 08:50 PM
These are at the Warhawk Museum, at the Nampa airport! You can get a ride in 2 seaters and the bombers. Always a big fly in Labor Day weekend! Downwind leg is right over my house, never get any work done when these aircraft are airborne! The sounds of the engines are like music to my ears!

Zebra13
07-26-2015, 01:36 AM
Jackie, preloading while watching TV? Watching what is on TV today is why I shoot, to get another way to entertain myself since I can't really see well enough anymore to read books I used to like Jack Higgins, Robert Ludlum and those guys. I got a new Jack Higgins book for my birthday and cab only stay focused on the lines for 2-3 pages at a time.

Jerry,

As for your reading problem, get yourself a Nook or a Kindle...they are the best thing since bottled Bourbon. A bazillion books at your fingertips, you can adjust the font size, backlighting, etc. to suit your eyes, and you get to hold something in your hands, just like a book, which is a big thing to us older types. Love mine.

Jackie and the rest of you speed boat guys,

You're all nuts. You do 150 mph, on the water, and 150 effectively turns water into concrete. So something goes bad-wrong, your boat cracks up, and there you are...skipping across the concrete...breaking every bone in your body until you slow down enough to where the concrete turns back into water...and then you drown. No thank you. My bass boat will push 80, and it scares hell out of me. I can't imagine going that fast on the water.

Steelhead1,

The Mustang in the first pic is a B/C model. There aren't a whole lot of them left flying.

You ever been to "Zebra 12 Police Supply" in Nampa/Caldwell?

Hunter,

How do you do multiple quotes like you have in your above post?

Justin

Wilbur
07-26-2015, 04:07 AM
Thinking on what Jackie said, have we gotten to complicated, too time demanding and too expensive on the registered side of the house?

Yes

Not too complicated and not too time demanding - but way too expensive. I don't have any suggestions either. If the match were free, which is the only way to cut the cost, it would still be too expensive to have a big crowd. Remember how we used to argue about whether to limit a match or not...well...that argument became one of no concern.

Steelhead1
07-26-2015, 04:51 AM
Zebra 13, yes I have been to Zebra 12, several times, but I think he closed up shop now! About 2 years ago he moved, and shortly thereafter I think he closed his buisness. He used to have a smiththat worked on AR's shawn helped me out a couple of times, but I even lost track of him.
My bucket list is to ride in one of those bombers! Maybe this yeR.

JerrySharrett
07-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Jerry,

As for your reading problem, get yourself a Nook or a Kindle...they are the best thing since bottled Bourbon. A bazillion books at your fingertips, you can adjust the font size, backlighting, etc. to suit your eyes, and you get to hold something in your hands, just like a book, which is a big thing to us older types. Love mine.

My eye issue is not solved by computer. I have a Nook and the little Nook, whatever it is called. I have 3 active laptop computers with the Kindle feature, two active desktop computers with Kindle, and two iPads with Kindle. My Kindle cloud looks like a thunderstorm.

My problem is tracking. My left eye was 200/20 corrected and my right eye was 80/20 corrected in 1970.Some of my right eye is normal, some of it is gone to scar tissue in the back....good camera, bad film I was told at Duke University Eye Center. Histoplasmosis syndrome.

Jackie and the rest of you speed boat guys,

You're all nuts. You do 150 mph, on the water, and 150 effectively turns water into concrete. So something goes bad-wrong, your boat cracks up, and there you are...skipping across the concrete...breaking every bone in your body until you slow down enough to where the concrete turns back into water...and then you drown. No thank you. My bass boat will push 80, and it scares hell out of me. I can't imagine going that fast on the water.

AFTER I had the eye damage I used to ride motorcycle enduros. That is kind of like motorcross in the woods. Some straights we would be running topped out, 80 mph! Trees are wood, not concrete. Still hurts.

The bass boat I have now will only do 45 on the GPS. Fast enough. I once had a modified Skeeter that did 83 in the clocks. Talk about chine-walk. We only had single cable steering in those days, mid '80's.

Zebra13
07-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Zebra 13, yes I have been to Zebra 12, several times, but I think he closed up shop now! About 2 years ago he moved, and shortly thereafter I think he closed his buisness. He used to have a smiththat worked on AR's shawn helped me out a couple of times, but I even lost track of him.
My bucket list is to ride in one of those bombers! Maybe this yeR.

Steelhead1,

He is supposed to be at 431 Caldwell Ave. Frank (Zebra 12) and I (Zebra 13) go back a ways. Zebra units were the terror of gang bangers and tweakers here on the central coast in the mid to late 90's. Our unit was tight, and man did we have fun. If you're ever in there again and bump into Frank, tell him Zebra 13 says "hi".

My eye issue is not solved by computer. I have a Nook and the little Nook, whatever it is called. I have 3 active laptop computers with the Kindle feature, two active desktop computers with Kindle, and two iPads with Kindle. My Kindle cloud looks like a thunderstorm.

My problem is tracking. My left eye was 200/20 corrected and my right eye was 80/20 corrected in 1970.Some of my right eye is normal, some of it is gone to scar tissue in the back....good camera, bad film I was told at Duke University Eye Center. Histoplasmosis syndrome.

AFTER I had the eye damage I used to ride motorcycle enduros. That is kind of like motorcross in the woods. Some straights we would be running topped out, 80 mph! Trees are wood, not concrete. Still hurts.

The bass boat I have now will only do 45 on the GPS. Fast enough. I once had a modified Skeeter that did 83 in the clocks. Talk about chine-walk. We only had single cable steering in those days, mid '80's.

Jerry,

Sorry to hear about the eye situation...I can't imagine not being able to enjoy a good book. It's one of life's pleasures.

And as for bass boats, they do get your attention when they start chine walking when you're doing about 70!

Click the "Reply With Quote" button on the post to which you want to respond and type your response in the box that opens;
Copy all of what's in that box (including the quoted part);
Go the the next post to which you to want to respond and repeat step 1;
Paste your copied stuff into the box that's open (you can position the copied portion above or below the current quote on which you're working).

Repeat as often as you want by repeating step 2 - 4.

Hunter,

I did it! Thanks.

Justin

Steelhead1
07-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Zebra12
Next time I am by that way I will stop by.