PDA

View Full Version : Moly users..... I need help, please!

Bear57
12-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I am a firm believer in moly coated bullets for my high volume prairie dog rifles and tumble my own bullets. However, this batch around is giving me fits!

I 1st rinsed the bullets in hot water with a little Dawn dishwashing soap and rinsed them ( 3 or 4 times) with very hot water. Air dried them on a towel and bumped them into the tumbler used for moly coating. After 3 hours..... very, very little moly is adhering to the bullets! Continued tumbling for another 2 hours, same result...very little adhesion of moly to the bullets.

Tried rinsing the bullets with denatured alchol, air dried, same results after 4 hours of tumbling!

I have used this method in the past with no difficulties, but this time around.... Problems

I've tried less moly with the bullets! ...same result!
I've tried more moly with the bullets! ...same result!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Comments & suggestions are appreciated..... THANKS!

David Halblom
12-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I am a firm believer in moly coated bullets for my high volume prairie dog rifles and tumble my own bullets. However, this batch around is giving me fits!

I 1st rinsed the bullets in hot water with a little Dawn dishwashing soap and rinsed them ( 3 or 4 times) with very hot water. Air dried them on a towel and bumped them into the tumbler used for moly coating. After 3 hours..... very, very little moly is adhering to the bullets! Continued tumbling for another 2 hours, same result...very little adhesion of moly to the bullets.

Tried rinsing the bullets with denatured alchol, air dried, same results after 4 hours of tumbling!

I have used this method in the past with no difficulties, but this time around.... Problems

I've tried less moly with the bullets! ...same result!
I've tried more moly with the bullets! ...same result!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Comments & suggestions are appreciated..... THANKS!

you have a contaminated drum. As you wash and clean the bullets and try to coat, you are just re-contaminating. Before trying again, I would CLEAN everything, bullets, drum, steel balls, anything and everything used in the process. And make VERY sure that everything is DRY before you go again.

David

Bear57
12-06-2013, 10:43 AM
"A contaminated drum" .... hadn't thought of that and will give it a try. That said, I finally got a good batch after 6 hours of tumbling, but will clean my drum before I go any further. Thanks!

Bear57
12-07-2013, 09:50 AM
I've got it working now and appreciate your comments. I 1st re-cleaned my tumbler, then washed the bullets in very hot water and air dried them on a clean towel..... that did the trick and every batch since is coming out quite nice. Thanks again

David Halblom
12-07-2013, 04:05 PM
I've got it working now and appreciate your comments. I 1st re-cleaned my tumbler, then washed the bullets in very hot water and air dried them on a clean towel..... that did the trick and every batch since is coming out quite nice. Thanks again

hear that. I had the same thing happen a long time ago. Don't know what the contamination was, but my bullets came out looking like Leprosy.

David