PDA

View Full Version : Test range...

Lee Martin
11-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Thought I'd post a picture of a new 100 yard range we built:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z149/AtomicPinUp/MartinRange_zpsd327bfec.jpg (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/AtomicPinUp/media/MartinRange_zpsd327bfec.jpg.html)

It's deep in the woods and as you can see it's sheltered by hard tree-lines (mild conditions, wind buffered). Our other range a few hundred yards to the right is an open field (lots of wind). Not sure how it'll play out but I hope to test loads between the two.

Example - two weeks ago I shot in the field. 10 - 15 mph winds and they changed rapidly (the flags were all over the place). Switched to the new 100 yard that same day, no change in overall conditions. The flags showed considerably less movement.....much less in fact. A few hundred yards of dense woods does wonders.

Granted, this isn't the most scientific approach but I hope it'll do two things: 1) It'll allows me to tune with minimal wind effect. It's no warehouse but it's the best I can do, and 2) It'll help me see how my loads transverse mild to rough conditions (and I realize I'm the weak link in #2....my wind game is very much in its infancy).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

jim1K
11-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I would worry more about sitting on what your shooting on. Maybe a little stool, instead of the picnic bench…… jim

Lee Martin
11-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Jim....I've shot off of standalone stools and benches as pictured above for 20+ years. Maybe I'm the exception but I've never seen my groups drop off between the two. Not disputing the theory around either, I just can't discern it within my shooting.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Hippy
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Lee,

When I lived in Va we built a 50 yd Rimfire range very similar to the same set-up you have and believe me with those rimfires it REALLY worked as the groups we shot were much better than the other "Open" ranges we used--shot several "0" groups in the nite with only a lite on the target.

Good Luck

Jim