PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure question

trazman
09-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Hy, i am thinking of buying a powder measure for reloading precision ammo...
It can be a standard one or something like rcbs charge master combo...
what do you suggest?

Or do you think the accuracy is much better with a standard scale?

r44astro
09-07-2013, 05:22 AM
what do you suggest?

Or do you think the accuracy is much better with a standard scale?

Bart Sauter won the International Benchrest, Southeast NBRSA four gun, and others this year he uses a Neil Jones. Lots of top shooters use Harrels some do measure by weight.

DeltaBravo
09-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm really happy with my Harrell's that attaches to a standard 1 lb jug of powder. I just weighed 5 rounds to see how I'm doing for real (already had a good feeling about the accuracy) and 3 were exactly on and the other two were off by less than 3 kernels of powder (8208-XBR) on my RCBS 5-0-5 scale. That's plenty accurate enuf for my 100 yard score shooting! Just be careful about static - use an old dryer sheet around the jug/thrower junction and no problems. Also, if you get a Harrell's, take it apart and clean it out with carb cleaner or something similar to eliminate all the oils, etc., that result from manufacturing it. Then, put it back together and throw about 100 practice throws to "lube" it up inside. Then start comparing "clicks" to actual weight for each powder that you use. You'll find that it takes a bit of practice to become consistent with it, but once you do, it's very accurate and convenient! Makes loading at the range a piece of cake!

Dennis

Boyd Allen
09-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I use a Harrell measure for the powders that I shoot in my 6PPC, and I have several other brands of measures, and I have worked with all of them enough to be familiar with their characteristics. Volume measure accuracy is very dependent on the size and shape of powder granules, and operator technique. For me 133 is about the limit for throwing, as far as shape and size go. IMO if you want reasonably consistent charges with coarser powders you should throw light and trickle up to your desired weight. I do most of my loading at the range, so portability is an issue. Also, I have spent a lot of time learning how best to use a powder measure. For me, it seems that technique has to vary with the shape of the powder, and the particular measure design that I am using. Getting to the point where I feel reasonably confident in my technique has taken a lot of experimentation and practice. On the other hand, my friends who have Chargemasters rarely load at the range, and have none of the issues that I have mentioned. For the kind of shooting that they do, they really like the convenience of the automatic dispenser. I also know short range benchrest shooters that do very well using measures as well as a number that use Chargemasters. Reading and discussing the practices of long range shooters, it seems that many are of the opinion that the +-.1 accuracy of untuned balance scales or typical electronic scales that read to .1 gr. is not sufficient to have the low ESs that they want, so charges tend to be finalized on more sensitive scales that read to .02 gr. For those on a budget, it is possible to tune a balance scale, or have it done, to the point where they are considerably more sensitive than stock, and using one of these, in combination with any powder measure can yield very consistent charges for a minimal investment. Of course using a scale at the range with a scale, one needs to make some provision for protecting it from the wind.

Charles E
09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
what do you suggest?

Or do you think the accuracy is much better with a standard scale?Since this question appears in the "General Discussion" forum, let me toss it back to you first. What end are you interested in with your "precision"?

What you're trying to achieve does have a bearing on answers. For a quick example, variance in velocity to tune a barrel in short range has other options, such as a tuner. For long range -- say anything where time of flight is over .75 seconds -- since time of flight for the bullet is a significant factor -- there are several considerations.

alinwa
09-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Powder dispensers like "throwers" of any price range, or the ChargeMaster type setup are accurate to within about 1/4 grain under the best of conditions with the best, "most throwable" powders. Some long stick powders like H4831 will give you up to 1/2 grain of variance with throwers and this is where the Chargemaster can be helpful, IF YOU'RE ON YOUR TOES you can catch the gross overcharges by watching the screen. You can then get even long stick powder down into the 1/4 grain region. As long as 1/4 gr variance doesn't affect you you're good-a-go.

Lee Martin
09-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I still throw from an old Culver but that's because my dad built them with Homer for many years. If I had to buy off-the-shelf today it would be a Harrells or Jones.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

abintx
09-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Hy, i am thinking of buying a powder measure for reloading precision ammo... It can be a standard one or something like rcbs charge master combo... what do you suggest?

The RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo. I've used one for over 5 years. When it rarely throws an over charge, :( you simply throw it back in the hopper and continue on. :) You can usually find a good price here: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC98923&src=exrbSrch Purchase a small RCBS item to meet the $300 total and get a $50 rebate too.

Dan Conzo
09-15-2013, 10:49 AM
I use modified Belding & Mull Measures that are accurate to a couple tenths with H4831 then finish off with a tuned scale. Works good for me.