PDA

View Full Version : Mixing different lots of the same powder

broadside
05-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Can any of you folks tell me if it s completely safe and beneficial to mix different lot numbers of the same powder. For example, due to the shortage of H4198, I've only been able to find a few 1 lb cans. When I load enough for a shoot, I always have some left over. I can either load a few bullets for the next match and then switch lot numbers or I was thinking about taking all my H4198 one pound containers and combining them in order to get consistent loads. Anyone here do that?

XBBR Shooter
05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Can any of you folks tell me if it s completely safe and beneficial to mix different lot numbers of the same powder. For example, due to the shortage of H4198, I've only been able to find a few 1 lb cans. When I load enough for a shoot, I always have some left over. I can either load a few bullets for the next match and then switch lot numbers or I was thinking about taking all my H4198 one pound containers and combining them in order to get consistent loads. Anyone here do that?

I have been mixing different lots of the same powder for 50+ years. No problems whatsoever.

alinwa
05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
yes, yes and yes

abintx
05-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Next time you buy 1 lb. containers, look to see how many you can find with the same lot number, or ask the sales person if there is a case of 1 lb. containers that hasn't been put on the shelf yet. Before I started buying in bulk, I could often find 5 to 6 1 lb. containers of the same lot, sitting right on the shelf. Using the same lot prevents having to work up a new load, which is what should be done upon changes in lot, especially if you're competing. When I have a small portion of a lot left over that doesn't match anything I have on hand, I save it for fire forming.