PDA

View Full Version : CFE223 as a bbl break-in powder

LTRDavid
05-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I have a new rifle with a Krieger bbl. I decided to break-in the bbl with this powder to see if it really helped reduce copper fouling. The thought was that feature would really help expedite the break-in process. I prepared 50 rds with 30 gr of CFE223 and some Hornady 110 gr V-Max's on top, cause that was what I had plenty of on-hand. Here is a photo of the first-round cycle:

Starting at the upper left patch, the first 3 patches are with Shooters Choice bore solvent using a piercing jag. Then a Dewey bore brush saturated with more Shooter's Choice followed by a wet patch and dry patch. That finishes the top row. Next Sweet's 7.62 was applied with a Parker-Hale jag. This set in the bore appx 10 min and the chemical was pushed out with a dry patch, followed by two wet patches of Shooter's Choice and a final dry patch.

I was simply amazed, as was my lovely assistant.

mwezell
05-11-2012, 10:06 PM
It's hard to argue with results, David.

Scotsman1
05-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for posting David. I've been wondering if it was any good. Now, to get ballistic results...
Cheers,
Scotsman1

skeetlee
05-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Dave
your rifle looks pretty sweet. Tell us about it and post some more pics of it. Im a sucker for a nice rifle. Lee