PDA

View Full Version : Unaka Rod and Gun Club final match of the year

Jim Jones
10-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Unaka will be having its final match of the year on Sat. the 29th. The gate will be opened at 7:30 and match will start at 9:00. If there is enough interest we will have a unlimited match after the club match. There will be sandwiches for lunch and the club sells soft drinks. Come on out and I'll have hot coffee waiting.

JerrySharrett
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Its interesting that Unaka and Kettlefoot, who are within 25 miles of each other, are having a rimfire match the same day. Is this a bad idea or what?

Seems to me like someone is trying to take Cliff Keesee down after he has devoted many hundreds of hours and a bunch of his own money to promoting rimfire benchrest in our region!!

Can someone explain what is going on???

Jim Jones
10-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I have no problem explaining Jerry. I have no problem with Cliff or Kettlefoot, as a matter of fact Cliff has done nothing but help me and I greatly appreaciate that. If you would like to give me a call I would be glad to answer any and all of your questions. I can be contacted at 423-306-4319. I'll be waiting on your call.
Thanks
Jim

ErnieJ
10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Jerry,
The answer is simple.At the beginning of 2011 Cliff switched the matches at Kettlefoot from IR 50/50 to ARA.The vast majority of shooters from the Mid-Atlantic region have been shooting Ir 50/50 for years.No one was consulted about the change and many shooters,myself included,did not want the change.Fortunately Jim Jones and Bill Pippin stepped up,found another range(Unaka) and scheduled IR 50/50 matches.They did not purposely schedule the matches to conflict with Kettlefoot but picked the only weekend that was open. The scheduled matches were Alleghany,first weekend---Bullseye or Ridge Rifle,the second weekend---Blue Ridge,the third weekend---Unaka, the fourth weekend. Unaka was a smart move.Participation has been at least twenty shooters a match.
I bet Kettlefoot wishes they were doing as well.If you would like to discuss the matter further you can reach me at 386-738-0969.
Ernie Jenderko

JerrySharrett
10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Jim and Ernie, I don't think I need to talk to either of you. I guess I have a special interest in that place since I hold the original land grant for that land that was signed to my ancestors. That grant was signed by Patrick Henry in 1779 when he was the Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I still own some of the land that adjoins that property on the South side.

I know that the Kettlefoot facility is owned by a private corporation, Kettlefoot Recreation Inc., of which I am a stockholder.

I know and have witnessed Cliff and some others work for many months building the 60 bench rimfire range. While they were building that range they operated and added to the 30 bench centerfire range on that property.

I know the ARA target is much harder to score well on than the IR 50/50 target.

And I also know what transpired causing Kettlefoot to switch from IR 50/50 to ARA.

No, I don't need to talk to either of you!!!

MIKECAMERON
10-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Jim and Ernie, I don't think I need to talk to either of you. I guess I have a special interest in that place since I hold the original land grant for that land that was signed to my ancestors. That grant was signed by Patrick Henry in 1779 when he was the Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I still own some of the land that adjoins that property on the South side.

I know that the Kettlefoot facility is owned by a private corporation, Kettlefoot Recreation Inc., of which I am a stockholder.

I know and have witnessed Cliff and some others work for many months building the 60 bench rimfire range. While they were building that range they operated and added to the 30 bench centerfire range on that property.

I know the ARA target is much harder to score well on than the IR 50/50 target.

And I also know what transpired causing Kettlefoot to switch from IR 50/50 to ARA.

No, I don't need to talk to either of you!!!

Maybe you should look into the attendance of kettlefoot ARA and Unaka IR 50/50 it may surprise you.
P.S. I disagree about which target is easier to score on if you miss one in IR you are down to mid pack if you miss one in ARA you can still set high target.

Kent Owens
10-25-2011, 11:56 PM
It's good for the game to get new rnages into rimfire. From the stats, and attendance numbers Unaka has been a big success this year, and I commend Jim Jones and that club for getting a new range into the game. I've heard nothing but positive comments from the folks who have been there to shoot.
Keep up the good work Jim and Unaka!!!!

Mark2
10-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Read this thread

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?76902-Wilbur-Records-update

then someone explain, this bunch who are irate with the IR5050 are the same ones who left Kittlefoot for greener (??) pastures?

Jim Jones
10-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I will gladly answer any questions about Unaka to the best of my ability and as honesty as I can. My number is 423-306-4319 as posted before. That's all I can do. Other than that we are still having a match on Sat. the 29th, looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jim Jones

Fatback
10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
My post to Wilbur was not irate then nor now. Maybe you should read the post again since Wilbur has been kind enough to help us out with the postings.
As for leaving Kettlefoot I was never a member. I shot there often as a guest of Cliff and Kettlefoot. Cliff has been nothing but helpful and nice to me. I shot 30+ Ir 50/50 matches this year which left little room for a venue that I usually do not shoot. Did Kettlefoot Gun Club make the right decision to switch to ARA or some other venue? That question is none of my business and should be left up to the members of Kettlefoot Gun Club. As for UNAKA I have been welcome there everytime I visited. Jim Jones did a great job of running matches. Schedules should not be a problem since they are different venues. If both were ARA or IR 50/50 It would be a different story.

Ken Worth
10-27-2011, 08:56 AM
i don't shoot much rf since they quit shooting group but this reads to me like a group that were pi$$ed at ir 50-50 suddenly got over it rather than shoot the harder target of ara.

MIKECAMERON
10-27-2011, 09:54 AM
i don't shoot much rf since they quit shooting group but this reads to me like a group that were pi$$ed at ir 50-50 suddenly got over it rather than shoot the harder target of ara.

What you are misreading is it has nothing to do with ir 5050, never has never will.

TangoTwo
10-27-2011, 10:54 AM

I used to think the ARA target was the harder target too. Not so sure any more. The last couple of years it has taken a 250 with a high X count to win in 50/50. It takes a high score in ARA to win. To achieve both, you need to hit the little dot in the middle. A dot is a dot regardless of the color. I will give you that the rings on the 50/50 target make for a more precise hold off when required.

Ken

Kent Owens
10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Makes a guy wonder how an IR5050 or RBA shooter often wins the ARA Nationals with a 10.5 lb class rifle.