PDA

View Full Version : Which barrel and what size?

BARTMAN
10-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Thinking of having a barrel put on my 40x. This will be an unlimited gun so weight don't matter. Which barrel would you use and what size would you use, and why?

Bill B
10-06-2011, 10:19 AM
The Rock Creek 6 groove barrel has been having lots of success lately. But how it is chambered and installed is as important as choosing a barrel mfg. I would first choose a gunsmith (mine is Gordon Eck) and then let them tell you what they have been having success with lately. I would also go with their recommendation regarding barrel size contour etc. I'm having Gordon re-barrel my heavy gun this off-season and I'm leaving all those details up to him.

foam head
10-06-2011, 07:05 PM
The Rock Creek 6 groove barrel has been having lots of success lately. But how it is chambered and installed is as important as choosing a barrel mfg. I would first choose a gunsmith (mine is Gordon Eck) and then let them tell you what they have been having success with lately. I would also go with their recommendation regarding barrel size contour etc. I'm having Gordon re-barrel my heavy gun this off-season and I'm leaving all those details up to him.
Sounds like you are getting good advise there, Bart. Barry

BARTMAN
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes I was thinking of going with Eck if he is not backed up to deep

Bill B
10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't know about that. Hopefully he is getting enough fiber. But I'm sure he can re-barrel your rifle over the off-season. Of course your off-season in Alabama is a lot shorter than ours is up here.