View Full Version : tooling terminalogy

06-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I hate to ask but i am looking through the grizzly catalog at live centers and dead centers. I keep seeing the initials MT#1 #2 #3 and so on. what does the MT stand for? Please dont laugh im sure i will say, " i knew that!!" LOL Actually i really dont. I think i might know but i will keep that to myself for now. LOL!! Lee

06-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Morse taper #1 2 or 3. The bigger the number the bigger the diameter of the taper.

mike cockcroft
06-10-2011, 08:48 PM
morse taper # is size or diameter of the tapered end of your tool, your tail stock has a tapered hole in it to accept live centers, drill chucks, etc. Drill presses and other machines also accept MT accessories.
Usually the bigger the machine the larger the MT will be. I'm a home builder, not a machinist.

06-10-2011, 11:21 PM
morse taper it is just be sure u get the right one for your machine other wise it's an expensive paperweight. not sure the difference but i do know they will NOT interchange.

Larry Elliott
06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Measure the open end of your tailstock socket (hole). The sizes of the open end of the socket are #1 = 0.475", #2 = 0.700", #3 = 0.938", #4 = 1.231".

06-11-2011, 12:56 AM
There are many different tapers used in the machine tool business, MT, (Morse Taper), just happens to be one of the more common. Just to muck things up a tailstock MT adapter for mounting a drill chuck will usually have a MT on one end and a JT, (Jacobs Taper) on the other. Jacobs tapers usually used in drill chucks.

Morse Tapers have somewhat become obsolete and replaced with more efficient means if modern machinery, tailstocks are mostly MT, but that's about it.

06-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Well i was actually pretty close. I figured it had to do with the size of the hole in the chuck. Thanks fellas! Lee