PDA

View Full Version : Odd rifle

plastikosmd
06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I seem to come across all the heavy gun (weight.) This is a cool schultz-larsen 308, maker 'freund' stamped on barrel. The seller called it a 'cord of wood' stock. Meaning it is made up just under a cord of wood! (joke). Barrel diameter is about 1.35" and has a custom rest with a ball bearing that the rear of the stock rides on, 2 other rails in the front. I cleaned up the rest with paint and some 'jeweling.' Still working on the elevation wheel and lock. I thought this was some oddball, but was reading through some old american rifleman mags from the late 60s and saw a benchrest advert. that had stock just like mine, heavy-boxy, pretty much a carbon copy. Forgot the shooters name, was a bullet ad. So was this design typical 'back in the day?' I have to do some research and see if i can find anything out about Mr. Freund. (possibly Art Freund, well known benchrest shooter/smith?) Action is really cool, heavy built for a rear lock, mauser on steroids. Chamber is a tight neck, regular 308's wont chamber, I got about 100 pc of match brass with the rifle already trimmed. I will attempt my first casting to see what I am dealing with. Funny thing is, not shot by the last 2 owners, just put in a safe so minimal wear, great barrel etc. It should be a lot of fun
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/08d2b780.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/240e6658.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/6ae65162.jpg

KEITH MYERS
06-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I believe his first name is Art

plastikosmd
06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
thank you, was just editing my post after looking at my notes, thank you. I believe so also.

KEITH MYERS
06-08-2011, 03:02 PM
If you can find a Unertl 2" scope for that rig it sure would complete the package.

plastikosmd
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I am a big fan of unertls, have a few and a mitchell. I think I will try an old balvar 6x24 with externals adjustment for fun. will post pics when it is mounted

spfld
06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Interested to see what sort of groups you can squeeze out of the old girl!

plastikosmd
06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Im sure it will, will cast it and check twist and go from there once I get scope

B.Johnson
06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Art Freund, St. Louis gun club, I think he has been there from the start. [/I]

zippy06
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
The gunsmith at Magnum Force has almost the same thing.
409 E Front St
Monroe, MI 48161
(734) 457-4242
He shoots at Monroe Rifle Pistol club. We have a Tues. benchrest league. Modified sorta.
.308 Win. It shoots pretty good.
I think, He got it from Phil Sauer. Famous Benchrest Shooter NBRSA Eastern region.
I think, they used to call them Cruiser class rifles......

plastikosmd
06-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Thx for the info. Sure, it is no bat action. To compensate for a rear lock it is very heavy/over built. The action opening is just enough to load it and no slop on bolt fit to action. Really no place for the bolt to go. I like the oddballs anyway. Btw twist is 1:11.5. I would guess 168-170 grain is where I will be, bought 100 168ers today . Now to figure out neck and get the scope

plastikosmd
06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
old bolts that were used for elevation of front rest and lock were removed and replaced with knobs threaded onto the bolts that I shortened. Scope added, note the external adjustment on the balvar. Got lucky, the scope has a Premier reticle. I guess they must have partnered at some point.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/597f7ef3.jpg

BrianJ
06-16-2011, 12:20 PM
That scope, B&L, seems too long for the receiver mounting setup. Unless there is another set of holes in the barrel I think a short scope would be better.
The bolts and receivers were ground to match each other, hence the nice fit.

bjm

plastikosmd
06-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea, the mount is the way I got it. I removed it and had planned on blocks in the receiver holes and barrel holes, see first pics. I was having alignment issues and put the old, custom mounting block back. It is much better aligned. Not sure if I will get a lot of distortion from heat. It is solid and was secured to receiver and barrel as before. Gonna try it and go from there.