PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question

Bigboredave
05-28-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm new to Rimfire Benchrest and my question is what are the squares used for on centerfire targets, sighting?:confused:

J Pappas
05-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes, they are used as a aiming point.

crb
05-28-2011, 11:50 PM
I have heard that sometimes the mirage can get so bad that all you can see is the square. I hold off the mothball. I used to hold on the square but it's too slow.

Dave S
05-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Dave:

Some used the square as their aiming point. They would put their horizontal and vertical crosshair on a corner of the square and adjust their point of impact wherever they wanted the group to be.. They claim that it gives a more precise aiming point than a mothball..

Dave

Bigboredave
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
az

Bigboredave
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanx boys, I appreciate your help.

Vern
05-31-2011, 06:32 AM
Dave your question specified centerfire.
As a center fire shooter I can say that for well over 95% of us shooting TODAY the square is not used for anything and more of something to be avoided.
It was however used back in the early days as the desired place to put a group many would aim at the bullseye and try to place the group inside the square. Some did indeed aim at the square. Today however most avoid the square for several reasons.
If you hit the black line many times you cant see the hole, shooting so close to the top of the target can under certain conditions end up putting you off the target via either mirage or very hard winds.

Boyd Allen
05-31-2011, 10:14 AM
I have seen the mirage so bad at 200 that the rings on the target were not visible for a good deal of the time during a match. Granted this is rare, but it can happen. Under these conditions having the square as a fall back aiming point is a good thing. The rest of the time, it is superfluous. If you can see the mothball, it is by far the preferred aiming point. I take a 6 o'clock hold on the mothball, and one day, out of curiosity, at 100, I tried aiming at the square that way, dividing it evenly with the vertical cross hair, and just touching the bottom with the horizontal. While I would not choose this method for my standard hold at 200, it worked surprisingly well. You might be surprised how evenly your eye can split something.