View Full Version : Sort of rail gun question

Charles E
05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Well, not really a rail, but they often use barrel blocks & bushings. I have a bag gun that uses a split barrel block, bored then reamed to 1.500 before being slitted --the block is the clamping variety. This is a 17-pound 1,000 yard Light Gun.

I'd like to use that stock & it's block with an 1.250 (or so) barrel. I have aluminum tubing that I could use, but I see there is Delrin tubing available, and Nylon. Nylon takes a set, but that seems OK in this application.

So first question is, does anyone have a notion as to which material is better for this purpose? Secondly, It seems with the rails using a split block, the "bushing" too is split. Any reason for that?

Finally, if it's Delrin, any idea where I can get some? The place I found has a $150.00 minimum order.

Thanks in advance,


05-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Delrin (Porosity Free Acetal) would be the best choice, MSC. No minimum order.

Boyd Allen
05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I would give Gary Ocock a call. He has had considerable experience and success in this area.

05-23-2011, 06:51 PM
McMaster-Carr $9.19 ft for 1.5" dia black Delrin.


05-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I would mount the block, suspend the barreled action exactly where I wanted it, build a tinker's dam and pour or inject it full of acra-glas. No release agent anywhere. Then I'd run a saw into the slot and clamp 'er down some more.