PDA

View Full Version : looking for some suggestions.... I'm getting into long range target shooting

Smokey_Joe
04-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Howdy folks. I just want to say hi and comment on how informative the forum has been for me. I've been lurking for sometime and decided to join in the fray:) Ö and besides, I'm looking for "help" from you knowledgeable folks.

Iíll cut right to the chase. Iím getting interested in building a long-range target rifle (ultimately out to 1000yds). Iím not looking to engage in any serious competition, just something that I can go out enjoy and have a little success with. I currently have 4 rifles that Iím considering for the build. They are:

Weatherby Mark V in .300 Wby. Mag.
Winchester Mod 70 in .300 Wby. Mag.
Remington Mod 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag.
Voere Shikar in 7mm Rem Mag.

My intent is to start with one of the actions mentioned above, re-barrel the action with a target grade barrel (many good ones to choose from), re-stock the finished rifle (I personally like the Bell & Carlson Medalist A5 Tactical series) and perhaps even re-chamber in the process. I really like the idea of pushing a high BC 7mm-170íish grain round at 3000+ fps.

I know there are a lot of other variables to consider. Iím open to any/all suggestions, but Iím trying to save a few bucks here and start with an action I already own.

All other things being equal, which action (and why) would you choose?

Regards,
Smokey

don carter
04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Smokey Right from the start you are smarter than I was. You are asking for advice. I had never heard of Benchrest shooting nor this website. I also had rifles and was going to save some money,by having the actions trued, new barrel and stock. Then I wasn't happy with the old trigger. It just goes on and on. Long story short. Best advice I got (too late however) was to buy a used Benchrest Rifle that had all the goodies already installed. After spending lots of money I started to buy Quality Benchrest rifles and have had the calibers changed for various types of shooting. Now I am a happy camper. You have never experienced real shooting till you have a quality ACCURATE rifle with a great trigger. Dan Kinnamen got me started. I proudly showed him my first 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. He said yep those will get you last place every where you go, then he showed me what small groups looked like. WOW. I had a 6-284 made for long range Praire Dog shooting. Only took 7 shots to get my first one at over 1,000 yds. Pays to have quality rifles. Good luck Listen to others for good advice BEFORE spending any money. Don

don carter
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi Smokey Adding to previous comments. Like you I was only interested in casual shooting, then I found out how much fun it was to shoot with a great rifle. Started to shoot in competition. Made every mistake possible, but had lots of fun and met some great guys. I have only been shooting for two years but am learning. I think after you get some great shooting guns you will really enjoy shooting events. Don't dismiss it till you try it. Don

jackie schmidt
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
If you are going to use one of the Rifles as a platform, by far the logical choice is the Remington 700.

Why? Because there is an entire industry built around making the Remington into a viable extreme accuracy item.

First, most Benchrest Gunsmiths will know how to correct any faults, we call this "truing the action". Second, the basic design lends itself to bench shooting, ie, push feed, easy removal of ejector if you wish, good bedding area, and a fast lock time. Also, you can get an honest to goodness Benchrest Trigger to fit, which is no small consideration. The magnum bolt face means you can opt for one of the WSM or Rem Ultra Mag familly of chamberings ior 300 Win Mag, a real nice long range offerring.

Of course, there is the custom action, purpose built Rifle route. Check the classifies on Forums. There is probably someone out there wanting to unload a 600-1000 gun right now.......jackie

Centerfire
04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Have you considered putting your Remington action into a Tube Gun?
Centerfire

max.burgess
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Smokey joe Id go with Jackie ever one makes parts for 700 Remingtons. I made that mistake years ago. You can even get a new bolt from Pacific Tool to change caliber. good luck Max

Smokey_Joe
04-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I kind of thought the 700 would be the front runner. Now there's a tough decision on my part to make...that 700 is my favorite hunting rifle! :confused: dang it!

max.burgess
04-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Smokey Joe sounds like a good excuse to get a new gun. MAX

Joe Duke
04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Smokey, There is little registered competition in Texas but there are some longer range matches shot around the area. Go to www.texasbenchrest.com to see info on the matches we shoot.
We do have a couple of long range registered matches scheduled this year. There is a 600 yard match scheduled in Huntsville and a 1000 yard match in San Angelo. You can find info on them here on BR Central or the site mentioned above.

The best advise you have received is to look around and find a good used competition rifle to start with. We have all done what you are talking of doing and have the scars to prove it.
Joe

skeetlee
04-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Joe
Whats that remington rifle going to cost? I am guessing 700ish?? If this is the case why not start with a stiller predator action or something similar, You said something about having it re-Barreled, so this would be my suggestion to you. If you buy that remington rifle and then have it trued up there is another 300 invested in that same remington 700, that you will never get back out of it, should you ever decide to sell it.
I am by Nature a very impatient person. I want what i want, and i want it yesterday. If there is a wrong way to go about buying/building a rifle i have been through it. I guess the big picture is all up to you, but if you have any intent of progressing with better equipment then by all means start with a custom action. There are several on the market that will shoot the long range game with great accuracy and they wont be much more than the remington 700 your thinking about buying now. Of course you will have to get a trigger and a barrel but when you do, you will know you have the best trigger and barrel money can buy, and it wont be all that painful. 150 for a trigger 300 for the blank + gunsmithing. As far as stocks go, not a big deal. You can find nice used stocks for as low as 200 bucks. Anyway i am rambling. Just take a day or so to think about what it is you really want, and just go for it, Just keep in mind, great accuracy comes at a price but it doesnt have to be all that painful, if done Properly. Keep in mind, that i am really just another opinion, and you already know what they say about that!! Good luck friend!! Lee

PS I will also say, that there is nothing wrong with a properly trued up rem 700. Actually they make for dam fine actions!! You will have just about the same amount of money tied up in it as you would a custom action though should you decide to have it trued up. Stiller also makes a P-1000 action that is one slick action. Dual ports and stout as a train. 850 bucks!! Tom Haverkamp is also making great action for about the same money. Lots of good choices!!

Andy Cross
04-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree with the consensus with beginning with the Remington 700. It's a bit like building a dragster. When it comes to the engine start with the hemi block. There is an entire industry built around making engines on that block ( action ) More different combinations and accessories than you can think of.
Andy.

BountyHunter
04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
I am going to differ here with the build on a 700 crowd. IMO it is a waste of money to build a quality LR comp gun on a 700 action unless you are doing the smithing yourself. That is the only way it makes sense. It is not cheaper by any stretch of the imagination if you have to pay a smith to clean up the 700.

You can sell the action for $400 or more now (barrel and stock, trigger extra $150 or so) if you part it out and buy a quality BR 700 clone that needs no work or spend another $200-400 cleaning up the 700 action, lugs rcvr face and threads. More importantly, it will be only worth $450 the second you leave the gunsmiths shop and it will never be as smooth or reliable as a custom. Been there done that and it is a money loser in the long run.

Do yourself a favor, sell one or two of them buy the custom and build from there. You will never regret it.

As for the caliber, I would say go with a 300 WSM if you want a magnum, and if not the 6.5x47 or 308 will more than suffice for steel, or F class. Your fast 7mm has a usefull barrel life of 700-1200 rounds. Danny Brooks was winning Shooter of the Year with a 300 WSM that had 4000 rounds in it. Good brass (Norma or Win), easy to load (MRP or H4350, 210 bullets and F210 primer)

Stockys Stocks has a great Bobby Hart LR stock that is in your price range that comes inletted, final finish clear coated, recoil pad for under $300.

Here is one to look at http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/ Dave Tooleys Orion action.

Take a look at what you get for the same money if you sold yours and put the smithing costs toward a custom. Which one would you really rather have.

FYI the bolt comes threaded and you can put a variety of different bolt knobs on it.

Here is what the Orion and Stockys stock finished look like. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/6-5x47-tactical-tooley-orian-59941/

BH

Andy Cross
04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I might come over and sell a couple of my Rem 700's if you can get $400 or more for them. There are three different Rem 700 rifles old clunkers with well used barrels available for $60 and $80 at a local gunsmith. That is complete rifles with triggers two of which have already had a target conversion. A new Rem clone will cost a lot more than that without a trigger.

Andy.

BountyHunter
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I might come over and sell a couple of my Rem 700's if you can get $400 or more for them. There are three different Rem 700 rifles old clunkers with well used barrels available for $60 and $80 at a local gunsmith. That is complete rifles with triggers two of which have already had a target conversion. A new Rem clone will cost a lot more than that without a trigger.

Andy.

Not steep at all, just the going market on the internet. Tell me where they are at if you do not want them. You can part any 700 action out for minimum of $350 even with minor pitting. Triggers will sell for $50 all day. Stocks $25-50.

BH

Andy Cross
04-18-2011, 09:33 PM
The internet prices are really irrelevant in Oz because even buying a secondhand firearm component here means going through a lot of Govt read tape police permits etc just to get it through customs. I know because I mistakenly thought buying some unprimed brass would be exempt.

So the price for such items down under are what they are. I have no idea what kind of paper work would be involved to send such an item to another country after you declare it as a rifle action. I almost hate to think.

But in view of the number of these actions there must be in the USA I wouldn't be paying those prices for an old 700 action.

Andy.