PDA

View Full Version : range rods

quadrod
04-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I read the long post on the Gordy Gritter chambering video and have quick question. The PTG range rod fits about two inches into the barrel, far enough that it is ahead of where the bullet will sit in the free bore. If i get the range rod to run zero runout for the length of the range rod is this not the same, or close enough, as what Gordy is doing?

woodbutcher
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I use the Gordy method and I would highly recommend it as you can get the bore aligned two or more inches in front of the throat. I have never got the range rods to repeat.

frwillia
04-13-2011, 06:41 AM
At the muzzle end, aligning for cutting the crown I think the answer is yes. At the breech end, no.

I use the Grizzly rod to align the breech end for chambering and the muzzle for crowning, though I think the range rod is as good for crown alignment. I find it is easier for me to align the muzzle for crowning using the Grizzly rod than the range rod because one point is in the chuck where the copper wire ring is holding the barrel which is a pivot point and the other one is right at the muzzle - this decouples the adjustments better than the geometry with a range rod.

That said, I frequently use a range rod in the muzzle when it is sticking out the back of the spindle to establish the chuck orientation that will point the muzzle up. I put the indicator out near the end of the range rod on the basis that it is aligned with the bore immediately preceeding the muzzle and thus pointing in the direction the bullet will travel when it leaves the muzzle. Farther from the muzzle should give a better reading that immediately adjacent to it.

Fitch