PDA

View Full Version : Railgun designing

mikepb42
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm presently drawing up a railgun for my own experiments, but am at a bit of a loss at how to arrange the linear bearings. From pictures, I see that many of these guns use a "three point" system. What are the bearing materials (generally)?

Also, does anybody have the Mac McCluskey drawings, or know of source for them?

-Thanks

-Mike

Butch Lambert
02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't know of anybody using linear bearings. Most use delrin buttons riding on ground steel ways. The one McCluskey that I know of had the ways cut straight into the top plate which was aluminum. It shot well, but we had some steel ways made and I machined the top for them.
Butch

Jefferson
02-23-2011, 12:22 AM
send me a PM I will contact the guy selling mac plans for 200 beans and pass on your preliminary request as I dont have his info handy jeff

mikepb42
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Butch, would a pair of ground steel shafts riding in semicircular delrin guides seem reasonable , or do I need to keep the contact areas small? Is it best to have only three points of contact? Thanks for your advice.

Butch Lambert
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
3 points of contact are all you would need. It is easier to set up. If you want to use ground steel shafts, why don't you run 2 of the shafts each on 2 delrin buttons at a 45deg angle to each other? I really can't think of a better setup than the old 3 button setup on 2 Vways and 1 flat. It was easier in my estimation to adjust the tracking with this system.
Butch

mikepb42
02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I suspect you're right. 3 button sounds best. After all, leveling the four legs of a machine tool is a pain. Again, thanks for your advice.

Mild Bill
03-05-2011, 03:07 PM
I am also interested in Mac rail gun plans.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bfloresf1
09-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Hello Group, any luck with the plans? I am also interested... any help would be greatly appreciated.

JerrySharrett
09-28-2011, 07:22 AM
As a start, go to the Canadian benchrest site http://benchrestforum.ca/index.php?topic=427.0 then scroll down to the rail gun photos.
You will see that there are many variants of design that works.

Also look on Mike Bryants site at http://www.bryantcustom.com/galleries/railguns.htm