PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Sharps .38-55

keppler
11-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Found out that my wife ordered me one for Christmas...She can't keep a secret. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience in reloading the .38-55? From what I can find online there are 2 different lengths of brass for some reason? Seems like all major die makers offer dies for it so at least that's not a problem. Another thing is, seems like there are several different diameter bullets these shoot. Are all the different sizes of stuff for the older, original rifles or will I need to determine what this one likes? Any help is truly appreciated.

Butch Lambert
11-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Go to the ASSRA website. I originally told somebody that and mistakenly added a S. Don't do that or you'll get some things that you might not want, or maybe you will.
Butch

Kitsap
11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Keppler,

Here are a couple of links.........

http://castboolits.gunloads.com

Select Forums from the menu on the left side at ASSRA...

http://www.assra.com/

I am sure Dakota can tell you how long the chamber is cut on your rifle and the bore diameter of your barrel. Brass (for either the short or long chamber) is available from Star Line here: http://www.starlinebrass.com

DougF

squeakie
11-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Found out that my wife ordered me one for Christmas...She can't keep a secret. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience in reloading the .38-55? From what I can find online there are 2 different lengths of brass for some reason? Seems like all major die makers offer dies for it so at least that's not a problem. Another thing is, seems like there are several different diameter bullets these shoot. Are all the different sizes of stuff for the older, original rifles or will I need to determine what this one likes? Any help is truly appreciated.

before ever doing anything you first need to know the actual bore in the barrel. I have a Hi-Wall in 38-55, and it's a .377 bore. Yet I've seen them as tight as .376 and as big as .378. Kind of a crap shoot! I mostly shoot hard cast lead bullets thru mine, that are sized .378 and .379 depending on the bullet. I've yet to take the jacketed bullet plunge, but have a couple hundred setting on the shelf. Been using loads right out of the AA handbook, and mostly use 5744. I kinda stayed away from the Hogdon book because their loads were built up on a .375 bore barrel, and didn't want to mess up one of my alltime favorite rifles
gary

keppler
11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I guess an e-mail to Dakota is in order. Those are great links ..well except for that extra "S" part...I don't wanna know.
I've also read about keeping pressures low but I think that was in reference to cast bullets and older rifles. Would using jacketed bullets for deer sized game be alright in a new rifle? Of course cast bullets would work fine for the deer around these parts.

tim
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
That is a magnificent action and can safely take any load considered safe for the caliber including jacketed slugs, I have one in TAC20 that shoots almost the equal of bolt guns.

John Kielly
11-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I recall PS had an article on loading for the 38-55 some time back.

Want me to go looking & maybe scan it for you?

keppler
11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Tim, that's good to know. I don't know anyone who has one of these so your knowledge is most welcome.
John, if it's no trouble that would be awesome. I'm no computer guru but would I be able to print it off. I suppose I would since I've printed e-mail before.
Most of the time I can find answers to my questions simply by reading prior posts, hence the low post count, sometimes however I have to ask and once again you guy's have proven to be a reliable and knowing source.
Thank you all for taking the time to help. Keith

tim
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
The action is used all the way up to .375 H&H