View Full Version : Any of you Benchrest guys ever seen this?

11-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I was left an item that I do not know what it is used for. It has the name Sinclair (Sinclair Intl I presume) and it looks like a cleaning rod except the end of it has circulat saw teeth. There is one handle and two of these rods.
Any ideas?
Thanks...... pg

Boyd Allen
11-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Several years ago, there was an article in Precision Shooting about a tool that the inventor used clean out the throat of a .22 rimfire chamber of material (lead I think...It has been a while) that would normally require an abrasive (more likely to damage the throat). A friend made one from a cartridge case, and used it on a target rifle that he had built. It seemed to do the job as claimed. I don't think that it was ever commercially produced. The rod is by Sinclair. You might try over on the rimfire board. Someone there might be able to tell you more, or correct some of what I have posted.

11-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Thank you Boyd.
Your answer makes sense because the gentleman owned two Sako rimfire 22 rifles which
were used for target shooting and now that I see your reply the rods do seem to look to be homemade.
I will relay that information on to the PO's son.
Thank you........ pg

Bill Gammon
11-12-2010, 06:38 AM
To me it looks like is a black powder thing. Put a patch on it, in the barrel to the bottom, and twist to clean the back of the barrel, but then how would it come out. the patch I mean. Too early in the morning for this,!!!

11-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Bill, it would have to be either a 22 rimfire or a 6mmPPC gun that this was used in. No black powder guns were owned by this person.
It appears to be of a 22 size to me. I do not have the tool in hand so I am relying on the photos.
Thanks...... pg

Dick Grosbier
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Don't automatically assume it is actually a sinclair product, perhaps it is a custom made tool that the fellow used an available extra Sinclair handle as his starting point.

11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, I agree and that is what I am now thinking.
I first thought it was a Sinclair product until Boyd Allen said differently.
Someone most likely used a Sinclair cleaning rod to make the tool.

jim b.
11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
It's a device for removing built up carbon or lead from the front of the .22lr rimfire chamber of your rifle. I bought one a few years ago & have used it. However, I'm not at home right now, and I do not remember the name of the guy who made the product. You gently insert the device into the chamber of your rifle, from the breech end, of course, with the teeth end of the device toward the muzzle. You must do this gently because the device is made of relatively soft brass, so that the teeth do not scratch the chamber.

When you feel the cleaning teeth come into contact with the end of your chamber (the beginning of the rifling), you stop advancing the device into the bore, and begin to rotate the device, which cuts & cleans away the carbon/lead.

Jim B.

Fred J
11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
The individual that made them has retired and moved to Texas. Don't think he's doing them anymore. Frank used to hang around Shilen's back a year or so, but I don't know if he still does. Like several have staed, it was supposed to remove the carbon and lead ring in 22RF's, but didn't work on all. It wouldn't do as well as your normal cleaning routine.

11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
That pretty well explains it.
I was wondering if Sinclair ever made this and I have an email going back and forth with them at this very moment along with pics to Sinclair.
As others have said, the Sinclair handle was most likely used to make the tool.
But I will see if Sinclair tells me they once made such an item.
Thanks again..... pg

Larry Elliott
11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I bought one of these tools a few years back from Frank Tirrell which was the little sawtoothed gizzy for removing lead/carbon from the front of the chamber of a rimfire barrel. It's on a Dewey brush adapter, and the one in the photos looks to be on a Sinclair chamber cleaning rod.

jim b.
11-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Yup, that's the one. During my earlier post, I was trying to remember the maker's name. At home during noon, I remembered "Tirrell Tool". Frank Tirrell is the maker, now retired & hopefully enjoying life.

jim b.

11-12-2010, 08:21 PM
After Larry posted Frank's full name I Goggled 'Frank Tirrell' and found news of him.
Not only that, I found a couple of pics of him taken on September 2010 at a shooting match for air rifles up in Texarkana TX.
So he is alive and well and living in Texas.
Just think, three days ago I had no idea what this tool was and now I not only know what it is/was but also get to see the man who made it.
The Internet is a wonder.
Thanks for the input guys....... pg

Edit note: Just click on..........
http://www.usairriflebenchrest.com and then click the 'News' tab. That should show you pics of Mr Tirrell.

11-13-2010, 08:45 AM
I was left an item that I do not know what it is used for. It has the name Sinclair (Sinclair Intl I presume) and it looks like a cleaning rod except the end of it has circulat saw teeth. There is one handle and two of these rods.
Any ideas?
Thanks...... pg
The thingies on the rod ends are carbon cutters. I've made several in 0.262, 0.266 and 0.270". Their purpose is to remove the carbon ring at the end of the chamber neck. Apparently these just happened to be installed on Sinclair rods. When a carbon ring builds up considerably Iosso, JB, bore burshes, etc., won't do the job.