PDA

View Full Version : Bill Myers has left the range.

Bill Myers
05-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Bill passed away peacefully in his sleep at 11:45 this evening. He was at home, surrounded by his family. His wish was to be cremated and a memorial service will be held next week for friends and family. I'll let everyone know when and where as soon as final arrangements are made.

As time passed and he became weaker, the many phone calls, emails and cards from his friends gave him a great deal of happiness. He wanted to talk on the phone, but just couldn't summon the energy to do it towards the end. But he was fortunate enough to know how many of you cared about him and respected his work.

I thank you very much.

Inez

davejones
05-11-2010, 02:44 AM
I am sorry for your loss.

Renegade
05-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Inez,
Kathy and I are very sorry to hear this sad news. I will miss Bill when I travel South to shoot...
Todd

cliffkeesee
05-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Inez
I wish to express my deepest sympathy

Sincerely,
Cliff

gerald
05-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Inez, though I knew it was coming it is so sad to read. I am sorry for your loss. Gerald Higdon

William Smith
05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Inez, We are deeply saddened by your loss and will keep you and Bill in our thoughts and prayers. He was a generous friend and a true craftsman. We are surely deminished.
Bill and Carol Smith

mistermike
05-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Inez,
My deepest sympathy to you in this difficult time.

Michael Gallant

TangoTwo
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Inez,

I hit the reply to post button and have sat here for ten minutes, The words just don't come. Tears, but not words. I just wish there was something to say to convey our feeling of loss for you and the shooting community in general. He is a good friend.

Our deepest condolences to you and your family.

Ken & Cherie

Dave S
05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Inez:

Please accept our deepest condolences. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we can do, please do not hesitate to call on us.

We are diminished...

Dave and Pat Smith
Bradenton, Florida

Fiddler
05-11-2010, 08:35 AM
You and your family will be in our prayers! He was truely a very special person and friend, he will be missed! Steve, Janie and Daniel

Al Hadfield
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Inez,

Penny and I extend our deepest sympathy to you and your family.

We are indeed diminished.

Al & Penny

cpeters
05-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Inez,

I am so sorry to hear that news, you and your family are in out thoughts and Prayers.
Charlie

Dennis Lindsay
05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Inez,

So sorry to hear of Bill's passing. You and your family will be in my prayers.

We all lost a great person, friend, innovator, machinist, fabricator, and gunsmith.

Dennis Lindsay

sailor
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

CYoung
05-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Inez, If there is anything the boys from Carolina can do for you just give us a shout .

dankillough
05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Bill built my first custom Bench rest rifle. It was a Turbo/Benchmark combination in one of his laminated wood stocks. It was beautiful and it would shoot as well. Bill had some of the prettiest wood stocks I have ever seen. That gun shot better than I did.

I remember one time I had all of my stuff set up for sale at Kettlefoot and I was in a hurry. I had set a couple of used rifles out for sale and I left the bolts in them. Bill come by and said "Dan, get those bolts out of those guns, you do not ever leave a gun lying around with a bolt in it." I was tired and busy and I snapped back at him, and Bill just looked at me and said "Get those bolts out of those guns!" I was aggravated with Bill at that time, but he was right. He was just looking after me. Bill was the kind of guy when he saw something wrong, he spoke up. He did not worry about upsetting anyone, he just wanted what was right. I admire him for that.

I would occassionally call Bill for advice on something and he was always honest and would tell me what he thought. I will miss him.

Bill was always full of energy and going 100mph. Once he had his mind set on something, he got it done. He did not mess around.

Inez, our prayers are with you and your family. We will miss Bill.

J Pappas
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Inez, I am so sorry to hear the news that Bill passed away. He was a good friend and I will miss him. If there is anything I can do please let me know. James

hi2utoo
05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Inez,

Very sorry to hear the news of Bill's passing. You and family will be in our prayers.

Les & Carrie Williams

Mark Walter
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Inez,

We will surely miss Bill. I only had the pleasure of knowing him for only

a few months. My brother and I count ourselves fortunate to have a Bill

Myers gun. It was always great talking with him and hearing of his new and

innovative ideas. His passing will surely leave a void in our sport and hearts.

You and your family are in our prayers!

Mark and Tim Walter

Bill Whitener
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Inez Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. We have enjoyed a lot shoots over the years.

Pepper1079
05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Inez,
Sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. We will miss Bill.
Jim

Fred J
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Dorothy and I have lost a very dear friend.

HovisKM
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
May God comfort you and your family in these times...my deepest sympathy
and prayers are with you. GOB BLESS

Hovis

Bob Pekaar
05-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Inez, I would like to express my condolences to you and the family. His passing is a great loss to our sport. He was a very unique person and will be sorely missed by the shooting community.
Bob Pekaar

wolf gray
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Inez,
My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I only knew Bill for the last 2 or 3 years. He helped me in Benchrest and I sure do enjoy the rifle he built for me. Whenever I would call he would help me out and he will be missed.
Best,
Dan Batko
San Angelo, Texas

steve b.
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Inez,

We will all miss Bill dearly. He shared much of his knowledge with many of us, both shooters and smiths alike. His impact and contributions to this sport will never be forgotten.

You and your family will be in our prayers.

s.

Macky Locklin
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Inez,

Please accept my condolences. Although we all expected this news, it is always sad when we get it. I hope you can be strong during this trying time. I know from our correspondences last week that he was receiving great care from you and that he knew the love of the many friends he had.

Bill was the kind of guy who gained the respect and love of many of us in the shooting fraternity by quietly and without fanfare, building some of the best equipment available, evident by the many records his creations set. I greatly prize the three he built for me.

A real gentleman, always available to talk over a project or idea, and a pleasure to visit with and be around. We will all miss him greatly.

Macky

Bill Wynne
05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Inez,

I am very sorry for your and your family's great loss. Bill is in a better place with no pain today.

We 22 shooters will also miss Bill.

I would like to kindly correct you just a little and I hope you don't mind. Bill will remain for a long time at our ranges in our memories. We will miss him. He was our friend and guide.

Bill Wynne

andyd1179
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Even though a UK Shooter we have all herd of Bill's name. My deepest sympathy to you in this difficult time.

AndyD

Kent Owens
05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
It is a sad occasion indeed. I will definitely miss Bill, and miss talking with him, and shooting with him. Bill had a great sense of humor, and it was always enjoyable to shoot with him and just to be around him, and Inez too.
It hasn't been long ago that he called me to tell me about a new barrel he had put on his sporter that he shot 5 consecutive 250's with, I think he went on to shoot about a dozen in practice with it. He was just as excited as if he had just shot his first 250 in his life, and Bill shot many 250's! Bill was a super sporter shooter!
That last conversation is the way I want to remember Mr. Myers, full of happiness and full of energy. I've lost yet another great friend, and I've never had enough friends.
We have all lost a great friend of the shooting sports, and of the gunsmithing fraternity. My sincere condolences to Inez and the family. Bill will be missed by many.

dbaker
05-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Inez,

Please accept my sincerest condolences at your loss. My only dealings with Bill were by telephone keeping me up todate on the progress of the rifle he was building for me. Through these conversations I knew his knowledge of benchrest 22's was unsurpassed and i immediately thought of him as a friend. I will cherish the fine instrument he built for me for many years to come and will pass it on to my son. My prayers will be of you.

Sincerely

David Baker

bob finger
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Inez:

I have spent most of the day trying to find the words that might somehow depict how I feel today. I'm sorry, they have not yet arrived.

I can say that every time I pull a trigger on one of the rifles Bill built I will think kindly of my friend. Every good score I shoot will be, in part at least, due to the kind words of tutelage Bill provided, and sometimes the grilling I got when I did not listen, or maybe just did not understand. His memory will remain at the ranges and he will be spoken of kindly for a long time to come. I will cherish each and every one of those conversations as we march down the road of time.

I am sorry for your loss. It was obvious when both of you were together how deeply you cared for one another. May you find peace knowing Bill is up there telling everyone how to do it, and enjoying every moment of it.

Do come shoot once in a while if you feel the urge. Many of us would love to see you at the bench.

Perhaps I will know what to say next week when we gather to celebrate Bill and his life. bob

Phil Deese
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Bill will be greatly missed......he has done a lot for the sport and helped many shooters to improve their skills.........he will be greatly missed by all of us that knew him. I have been praying for him since I heard of his illness...and you and your family will continue to be in our prayers.

carlb
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
That is really sad news. I was talking to Bill late last year about getting a barrel over to the UK. I think he again took ill at that time.

My best wishes and sympathies go out to his family.

JessePatrick
05-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Inez
you lost bill I lost a friend
my thoughts and prayers are with you
Jesse

JerrySharrett
05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
God bless you Inez. Bill was a fine man and friend as you have known all these many years.

Jerry

gcatlett
05-11-2010, 05:56 PM
God bless you and your family...

Bill Myers
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
We're going to have a memorial service for Bill on Wednesday, May 26th at 6:00 PM at Bradley Funeral Home in Luray. That day is our 15th wedding anniversary. I know it's an odd time of week, but there are two shoots on bookend weekends around that date and I didn't want anyone to have to choose between competing and maybe coming to the service. Early evening seems to be a good time for working folks. It will not be elaborate or fancy --he said he wanted a group of his friends and family to get together to remember the good times with him and to tell some stories. So, that's just what we'll do. If it's too far to drive home that night, you're welcome to camp out at the house -- plenty of couches, a daybed and an extra queen-size bed in the guest room.

Inez

Fred J
05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Inez:
Several down here at our club want to do something in Bill's honor. Any preferances?

jim
05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I also would like to extend my sympathy and prayers to all the family members. Bill had just in early February completed rebarreling my Suhl for me - my only true benchrest rimfire. I'll always remember how patient he was in answering my many questions - he will be missed.

ifldned
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I didn't know Bill Myers personally. But his memory will live on forever in all of us. ifldned

Bill Myers
05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
The prayers and good wishes are appreciated now more than ever.

Fred, a small trophy given in Bill's name at any club -- for any class -- would be lovely. Bill's special interest and talent lay in building and shooting sporters and nobody loved pulling that sporter trigger more than Bill Myers. Any club, any class would be a huge tribute to him.

Bill Zabarowski told me today he called Bill a few weeks ago to see how things were going and here Bill was, too weak to get out of bed, sick as a dog and barely able to speak, still interested in anything to do with rimfire shooting, offering solutions and answering questions. He was always thinking about ways to make shooting more accurate, he was never bored with the subject and some of the ideas he came up with over the years were simply amazing.

I'd like to believe there's a direct line from Heaven to Benchrest Central so that he can log on to catch up on rimfire news every day.

Inez

El Paso Mark
05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Inez- My sympathies and condolences to you and your family.

Regards,

Mark Field

glynn angle
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Inez, I remember when you and Bill were newlyweds. Time goes so fast. You and Bill have always added so much to every match you attended. Both of you have friends throughout this country and beyond. You have always been a very gracious lady. I wish you the very best. Sadly, glynn angle

Dave Shattuck
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Inez,

We are all deeply saddened by your loss. Bill was truly one of greatest rimfire gunsmiths of all times as well as being relentless in his striving to better our sport and will be remembered dearly for his efforts well into the future.

Dave Shattuck

Ben Hedrick
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Inez -

This is truely sad, sad news. Please accept our condolence for your loss. We feel the loss also as Bill added to and enriched our lives by knowing him.

Ben & Marcy Hedrick

RvA
05-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Inez,

Sue and I and truly sorry for you and your family's loss, please accept our deepest condolences. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Roger and Susan

Joe Friedrich
05-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Inez,

My deepest sympathy and condolences to you and the family. Bill was special, unique, genuine, sincere and loved, he played an important role in my life and am truly blessed and grateful that our paths crossed. It was always a joy to talk to Bill and he always made my day. Our last conversation, Bill was still upbeat and positive, my only regret is that I never got the chance to meet him.

We hoped and prayed that Bill would be here a while longer, but it wasn't meant to be. Inez, through this difficult time may the Good Lord give you the strength. Bill helped so many and was a true inspiration to the sport. I will deeply miss him.

My prayers are with you and the family.

God Bless,
Joe

Mel Eck
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you.Bill will be missed by many.

CYanchycki
05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
from myself I would like to wish yourself and your family my condolences on your loss. I never met Bill or had the pleasure of dealing with him but any loss is a big loss.

I know his many talents and the friends he shared conversation will miss him greatly. It is amazing how a grown man can get choked up about someone they never knew.

I hope you are right in there being a direct line from Heaven to Benchrest Central. We have lost to many great people from the world of Benchrest.

Calvin Yanchycki

Halo68
05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
So Sorry for your lost,

Danny Reever
05-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Bill was an inovator, a marksman, and a gentleman he will be missed.

CAS 52
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
It is with a heavy heart, we offer our sympathy for your loss. Chuck hasn't cried in forty years, but hearing of Bill's passing brought tears to his eyes. A wonderful craftsman, and friend - he will be sorely missed. We will cherish even more the beautiful Sporter he built for us. You and your family remain in our prayers.
In Christ,
Chuck & Pat

Carp
05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
May comfort come for you and your family. May God find His way into your pain and give you solice. My prayers go out to you.

John M. Carper

Gisele Johnson
05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Inez,

It is a very sad day that Bill has left us. I only have known him for about a year and have not met him other than by phone. I have a beautiful heavy rifle that he made as well as an awsome sporter that was finished this spring.

Bill was very special and I will think of him every time I use the rifles. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gisele

Picher
05-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Although I've never met Bill, it seems that I knew him through this board and by shooting with others who had some of his fine rifles. He was one fine gentleman and a heck of a rimfire benchrest gunsmith!

This Saturday, May 15th, at our Capitol City R&P IR50/50 Unlimited match we will honor Bill by having period of silence, followed by firing a "Sighter Salute". I also intend to score all "X"s as "M"s in his honor.

A small tribute to a man who's given the game so much!

John Picher
Rimfire Benchrest Match Director

inspireart
05-13-2010, 09:18 PM
What a great man. I am so sorry for your loss. Our lives have been diminished by Bill's passing. We lost a great shooter, gentleman and gunsmith.
You and the family lost far more. We will miss him too.

Bruce

W337
05-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Inez,

I never met Bill in person, but of course competed with friends who knew him and own his wonderful rimfire rifles. I never heard anything but words of greatest respect and admiration.....when ever Bills' name came up. He truly changed the lives of many rimfire shooters for the better, and not just with his guns.......but by the man that he was..... and he will always be one of the greats where rimfire accuracy is accomplished.

May God give you the comfort of His love, and give you the comfort of your many memories of Bills' smile and personna. You and the family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lee McFarland
Indianapolis

M LOVAN SMITH
05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Inez,
We Were All Lucky To Know Billy And Call Him Our Friend.

SMITTY

ifldned
05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
I wish I had a chance to make you acquaintance but your work and memories will live on beyond our physical existence. I hope to experience one of your rifles in my time. Godspeed, my heart felt condolences to your family and friends. ifldned

cliffkeesee
05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Inez
My Thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family

Love
Ron Spears

wb9uze
05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Inez, I never met Bill personally but spoke with him on the phone several times while he was building my Turbo. Believe it when I tell you I know exactly how you and your family feel. The passing of time helps to deal with the loss but it never ever goes away completely but I've read a lot of your posts and what I see is a very strong lady. God bless and I'm sorry to hear of Bill's passing. Rex Slye

Pieter.45
05-18-2010, 05:51 PM
As a roamer of this forum I've learned his name was an institute.
Please accept my condolances,we have never met as I live in another continent,but I feel part of this benchrest scene.
I hope God guides Bill on his last trip.