View Full Version : Edm'ed

Big G
02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
What does the term wire edm'ed mean pertaining to rifle actions? I have seen that term used several times when its talking about the machining of rifle actions

Don Nielson
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
The raceways are cut with a wire.

Picture a verticle bandsaw with a wire instead of a blade. Then it cuts with electricty under water. :confused: Don

Butch Lambert
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
You can also have a plunge type EDM. The electrodes are generally copper or graphite. It burns a hole that is the shape of the electrode.

03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Don is correct. It is CNC driven which makes it quite accurate. It is flooded with a dielectric while it is cutting. Sparks jump from the wire or in the case of plunge type, the electrode and erode the material ahead of it. The great part about this process is that there is virtually no residual stress as there is no cutting force. The draw back is that it is slow and expensive.

To a lesser degree is there is a very thin recast layer that is an issue in heavily loaded parts or in high vibration.

Are you sorry that you asked now?

03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
uh....Butch is also right!:D

It's called a sinker edm! I know for a fact you can cut race ways in an action body with a sinker, and you can cut them only as deep as you need or want, unlike a wire edm which has to be all the way through!